selvedge hype......

doom

what's with the hype of selvedged denim now?

i was already wearing them by a company called replay from italy fucking 10 years ago!!!! and i didn't even showed them by rolling up the pants!

just enjoy denim regardless if they the selvedge or not.

the eclipse is nigh

Although selvege seams are much neater and beautiful from an aesthetic point of view, I think the 'hype' is more about raw, unwashed jeans. More and more people want to 'customize' the look of the jeans by starting with raw denim, and the majority of selvege is raw denim. I think 'selvege' and 'raw' are synonomous to the denim newbie, and the ability to 'wear-in' your own denim is the attribute that is appealing, not necessarily the side seam.

I'm so self-conscious...

there is a hype though, i went to the h&m this afternoon, came across there 9.99 euro ''selvedge denim'', they of course weren't selvedge, just some standard jeans. they just put selvedge on it for people who don't know what it is, so they buy it and think they've got a selvedge one, and anyway it'll probaly be over in a while anyway....

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

folks can say fuck hype or fuck this brand and fuck that, but bottom line hype exists and its there, and if you ignorng the fact that some shit gets hype and other shit doesn't, you're in denial

Hype is a good thing, whether you wanna accep it or not every brand under the sun wants some type of hype, because it makes money, and clothes get made to make money, or else everybrand ya'll rock would be non-profit organizations

as far as selvedge hype, yeah its there, some people, even people here (gasp) have flung themself onto the whole concept because they think it will make em cool for a while till (gasp) everyones wearing it, and the those folks will be running to the next thing and be trying to sell what they have now on ebay. If you're really about all the shit you're into all that hype stuff and what everyone else does should roll off your shoulders

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

regardless

I'm not eevn criticizing him personally, but it seems to me the biggest gruop of people cuaght up in trying to denouce the use of the word hype are often self-concious about being caught in it. Maybe thats him, maybe its not, maybe its other people here and maybe its not, but bottom line its there and it definetly relates to selvedge jeans

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

its the other way around, dudes using the word hype are the 'hypebeasts' themselves. Fuck i hate how anything popular is said to be solely due to hype nowadays, fuck that. If you were so fucking original, you wouldnt be on a message board about fashion because frankly, you wouldnt give a fuck what other people were wearing nor would you care to tell people what you are wearing

Edited by breakfasteatre on Nov 12, 2005 at 09:41 AM

The combination of measuring how far off the beaten path you are & engaging with like-minded people is

probably responsible for a lot of online dialogue... Be it sports cars, politics or fashion etc.

Now if you're posting your picture up & telling everyone else what you're wearing, what kinda haurcut you have blah blah blah thats on some whole next corny level shit... & breakfasteatre has a point.

Hype is great... when warranted!

-Dub

I think the purpose of this post was for doom to let everybody know that he did it before everybody else. 10 whopping years, but he does have a point. Wear your denim and enjoy it. Not all selvedge denim is good and not all non selvedge denim is bad. It just so happens that on average selvedge denim is better in quality than its non selvedge counterpart.

Quote:

there is a hype though, i went to the h&m this afternoon, came across there 9.99 euro ''selvedge denim'', they of course weren't selvedge, just some standard jeans. they just put selvedge on it for people who don't know what it is, so they buy it and think they've got a selvedge one, and anyway it'll probaly be over in a while anyway....

--- Original message by RobbertJan on Nov 11, 2005 02:30 PM

H&M does have a true selvedge jean, seen it myself. IMO quite ugly however.

Quote:

it has a purple selvedge and the jeans look like a pair of brooke shiels's jordaches'.

--- Original message by doom on Nov 20, 2005 09:51 AM

well maybe, but i went there with kwing who's somewhere on sf as well and there was this jeans with wanabe but it was stitched on after the denim cut into proper form etc. or it seamed like it was.....but i just asked him and he says he knows this guy who has the real one so it does exist:) but still if they try to sell the one i've seen cause it's '' selvage'' and it's not then it's that's pretty fucking stupid

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Quote:

what's with the hype of selvedged denim now?

i was already wearing them by a company called replay from italy fucking 10 years ago!!!! and i didn't even showed them by rolling up the pants!

just enjoy denim regardless if they the selvedge or not.

--- Original message by doom on Nov 11, 2005 10:46 AM

Silly post.

You were wearing selvage 10 years ago. wow. everyone in the world was wearing selvage 30 years ago.

get informed and then post a controversial statement like that. Can't even begin to tell you where this post falls down

I hope that itch isn't what i think it is...

... could someone take a photo of me like this

Quote:

i don't understand why they almost always have the selvedge line on raw denim and not washed/distressed denim. doesn't the washed/distressed denim come from the same raw denim in the first place?

--- Original message by baldy on Nov 20, 2005 09:18 PM

there are a lot of washed selvage denim.

Real Selvage denim costs........it is expensive to make if it is quality... we all know that. Quality is quality whether it is "hyped" or not. Everyone will never be wearing selvage denim because everyone can't afford that level of quality. And most don't care to. If they find a way to mass produce selvage, it will be crap and will still be unhip. Fear not denim snobs...you are safe. I wear khaki pants to my office job. Not GAP, not dockers, but 60 year old Cramerton Army Cloth button fly army pants. If they were made the way khaki is made to day, they would not still be here, let alone look as good as they do. That's quality folks...not "hype".

selvage is mass produced dude. theres all types of modern shuttle looms and what not nowadays. if companies liek banana republic, uniqlo, old navy, abercrombie, h&m, etc. have selvage denim in all sorts of low prices... how can you think its not mass produced or too expensive for the average consumer?

also, price has nothing to do with anyhting anyway. yes, there is good quality selvage that most people wouldnt pay for. but there is also bad quality. the loom the fabric is made on does not justify any kind of quality.

Edited by adsurgo on Nov 21, 2005 at 01:59 PM

ok, in regards to mass produced, etc. here is a serious question.

selvedge denim is just the edge of the denim. what makes some denim so expensive is that they use older looms that create slubiness and a narrower width of denim, allowing leg of jeans to be made from the width of the jean, creating a shit ton of wasted denim, (plus cotton type, plus dying methods etc.)

however, assuming you don't use an older loom that produces such a narrow strip of denim, you could still a: run manufacturing the same speed, and b: continue to produce almost as many jeans from a strip of fabric, only using the two edges to create "selvedge" jeans rather that taking them from middle cut. thereby, if you use crap denim in general you still have crap denim "selvedge" jeans, and just as many regular regular jeans.

so, the loom would dictate price to the extent that it is not cost effective to use a narrow strips of denim, but not all denim is made on a narrow loom, nor is all selvedge denim narrow loom.

does this logic make sense?

hype, skype, type, bite, fight biters.