any artists here?

CactusArmy

I consider myself one. I've had shows (painting, charcoal) since I was 4 years old. At the moment, I consider myself a hybrid of painting, illustration, graphic design, and a little bit of fashion. I wouldn't say I've really made tons of money from my pieces. It's just like a hobby that turned into a profession. And my best works usually started out of fun. I've got some stuff published in Design books, but that's about it. I don't get royalty, just publicity.

I was at art school for four years and ended up with an institute prize and a degree in fine art sculpture. It was good fun then but I got so sick of the whole creative scene after a while out of college. Desperate people falling over themselves to be the next big deal? Ugh. Not good looks. I was in the centre of it, and ended up giving up my studio to travel and then started doing shiatsu instead. It's worked out a lot more worthwhile and fulfilling for me, plus I don't have to worry about where my rent is coming from ( which after you're about 25 gets to be important).

• 4 weeks later...