Belize (Ambergris Caye) anybody?

kiya

Anybody have any good info on Belize, and in more particular Ambergris Caye?

I'm going on Thurdsay for a week, staying at Victoria House...

Anything i should check out, know, drink, eat?

About four years ago, I spent five days and nights on Ambergris Caye. Overall, it's a very laid back island. I stayed in a private house next to the Ramon's Resort during that time and spent my mornings diving and the nights hanging out at the many bars and restaurants in San Pedro.

Capricorn, on the north end of Ambergris Caye, is an excellent dinner spot. Easiest way to get there is to just grab a water taxi to take you there. The restaurant is located on a quiet beach away from downtown San Pedro. Great staff and service and a perfect place to kick back with a Cohiba after dark.

I don't remember any other restaurants or bars by name. But with most places on the island, you can't go wrong with any ceviches or jerk chicken or lobster dishes. Lobster should be in season during this part of the year. They won't be as big as the 4-5lb Nova Scotian variety but should be tasty, nonetheless.

The only thing that seemed odd about Ambergris Caye was that I felt I was still in the continental US. Everyone I met on the island was American and visiting from Texas. I've never been anywhere else in the Caribbean so don't know if this is the norm.

In my opinion, the coolest thing about Belize and Ambergris Caye was the diving, You'll get easily 20-30 meters of visibility in very warm water. The top dive spot is the Blue Hole, a underwater cavern formed from a sinkhole. Takes about 2hrs to get there by boat. The dive is pretty technical and requires advanced open water status through PADI. Most dive shops will take you down to about 35-40 meters. Plenty of black tip, and I think, hammerhead sharks, although I didn't see any. Check out this pic. It's pretty overwhelming:

Great_Blue_Hole.jpg

Was in Belize earlier this year, stayed on Caye Caulker (poor man's Ambergris Caye :)). Seemed to be a mix of backpackers, 50 something's and some locals.

Not a lot to add - the snorkeling was good (don't have a divers license, but would've done so if I had the spare cash - apparently it's one of the cheaper / better places to get one?).

Prices in general seemed fairly similiar to US (drinks, most restaurants etc). Fish / seafood was a bit more expensive than I would've expected, being on an island and all (most locals seemed too lazy / stoned to fish) - jerk chicken was always cheap 'n' good though.

The backpacker joint I stayed at had cable TV and wifi (so I guess pretty much everywhere would then).

Finally, don't bother spending any time in Belize City - the place is a complete hole.

Was in Ambergris years ago, in high school. Was a good time. Golf carts everywhere. Mosquito Coast. Did Caye Caulker which was pretty podunk, but ok.

Favorite thing; Took a little boat out for reef fishing in the morning. Guide brought us into the beach and grilled up what we caught for lunch. And then snorkeled the rest of the afternoon. Best fucking fish 'tacos' of all time.

Locals were cool, though being in Central America it felt weird to see black people speaking british english everywhere. Is the currency still 2 Belize dollars = 1 USD???

go to wild mango. best food on the island that i had. The mojito's there are amazing as well, so you know.

As far as more touristy shit you might do, skip out on the ruins, unless you really have to see them. Long trip out there, and don't exactly know if it's worth the time or $$.

Go scuba diving. Don't know if you're certified, but if you aren't theres a ton of good snorkeling as well. Go on a night dive, and a day dive. You'll see so much different stuff, the night dive is amazing as well, you get a flashlight, and see a ton of different sea life. Also, bioluminescent fish or whatever, turn off your lights and stir up the water, you'll see a bunch of little glowing 'sparkles'.

kiya's a travellin' man. didnt you just get back from Turks and Caicos recently?

Yeah.. you know.. that's a fucked up situation.

We had tix and a house reserved for Turks & Caicos, but the hurricanes destroyed the islands last week, so we changed our flights and housing arrangements to go to Ambergris Caye instead...

Yeah.. you know.. that's a fucked up situation.

We had tix and a house reserved for Turks & Caicos, but the hurricanes destroyed the islands last week, so we changed our flights and housing arrangements to go to Ambergris Caye instead...

tough fucking luck. my boy tells me Belize is great so you and the missus should be thrilled.

Just got back..

Had a blast and went fishing for the first time ever..

Caught 5 fish including this huge barracuda..

2867621372_98cbbdc78c.jpg

looks like an amazing dive spot.. did you go diving kiya?

fuck i love diving

Are you ready for this?

I can't swim.

I just learned how to swim last week in Belize.. barely..

I know, learning to swim at the age of 30.. very odd.