Lend me your worn jeans for a week (and come see my exhibit in LA)

aan den rijn

Original thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=57423

Basically, it seems like this is a go for November. I will need around 20 pairs of jeans, worn to the point where you hesitate to wear them anymore, shipped to me, and I will exhibit them in an exhibition during The Brewery Art Walk. The more beat up, the better, the more strange stains on them, the more exotic the better. I am borrowing them and I will return them, but I do need about a week to set up the show.

The show is tentatively called the Atrocity Exhibition as a nod to both Ballard and Joy Division. It will showcase worn dry denim, preferably denim worn for over a year, in a minimalist setting, letting the denim tell its own stories. All I really need are brand, name of owner, time of purchase, place of purchase, and where you wore it. Feel free to explain the stains, but not required, really, and any stories associated with them would be cool but not really a necessity. I will take good care of these jeans - they will be photographed, then, I will run a clotheline throw the belt rings and hang them up in sort of an installation in a warehouse-esque setting. The show will be free and during The Brewery Art Walk. You are all welcome to attend, and if you contribute, you might even get some free booze out of it, I don't know, we can't pay you unfortunately, we have a 50 dollar budget for this, excluding shipping costs.

We have a few pairs ready. Some Nudies, APCs, but I really wanna see a bigger variety of brand and wear and tear. I am really just borrowing these for a week, really. I don't really care if they stink. I don't care about any of that. A flatrate box from USPS is 8.50 or something. Stuff it into the box and ship it to me and in the end I'll ship it back and post pictures of the show here with a thank you note. The show is November 1st and 2nd and there will be some sort of a VIP pre-show/test run the night before and any contributors will be invited. You will all be credited by name unless you don't want to.

So, what do you guys think? If you are down, and I understand parting with your jeans to a complete stranger can be weird, but I hope you trust me on this one. All I need is maybe 15 pairs more, or even just 10 would be good, and they would be shipped back in the same condition.

If you are international, it would cost a little more, but no more than 15 dollars I think. If you are in LA, feel free to have me come pick it up or you can come drop it off. I'm in Cerritos right now but I can do anywhere south of the valley and most of the OC.

I WILL RETURN YOUR JEANS. FOR FREE. AND REIMBURSE YOU FOR YOUR SHIPPING COSTS. OKAY? What do you guys think? PM me if you want the address. Feel free to ask questions.

Link to the whole event: http://www.breweryartwalk.com/generalinfo.html

I would like the jeans to be at least as worn as these APC New Cures I have (Stel's in Boston, October 06, worn in Boston, 2 Vermont winters, 2 LA winters, 1 LA summer, 1 Shanghainese summer, and intermittently in Chicago)

img0860mediumem3.jpg

img0861mediumjz4.jpg

img0862mediumoa8.jpg

img0859mediumsn8.jpg

you're serious about mailing back jeans at the original owner's cost?

Yeah. Not like overnight or anything, but USPS Priority mail, 2 - 3 days to most parts of the country.

Also we can include some professionally done photos of your jeans if you want.

i think you would attract more people if you paid for shipping.

Yeah, seriously. Nobody knows who you are, they'll get nothing in return, and there's the possibility that their shit could get lost in the mail or you turn out to be someone with a used denim fetish and they get the jeans back covered in cum stains or not get them back at all, and to top it all off, they have to pay for shipping both ways? lol.

yeah, the fact i have to pay to play fucks it up for me. and the fact i dont have any other jeans to rock in the meantime( i gave all my other jeans away). if i were in LA, i would consider handing the sammies over, but only after meeting you first. good luck though, it sounds like a great exhibit.

Guest Dubmaster

I doubt you gonna get anyone to donate their jeans to you (1) because you don't give them any incentive (2) You want them to pay for their own shipping (3) Do you really think the guys on here who spent a lot of money on their denim, put a lot of time and energy to get their fades -- will actually give you their jeans for some pictures? The last time I checked, they have cameras and they post their jeans here. You have a good idea, but you may wanna find another way to fund your exhibit. Good Luck.

Woah, what do you mean you guys pay shipping both ways? I'm paying for shipping. The $50 budget is for the setting up of the show, not for that. (installations, etc - the space is free and we have lights and a lot of other stuff already laying around) I don't know where you got that idea. What I meant was:

a) You'd have to ship your jeans to me first, which would cost money. I can reimburse you if you don't have $8.50

B) I only need this in like, late October

c) I WILL RETURN ALL YOUR JEANS. AND PAY FOR SHIPPING THE THING BACK TO YOU. AND REIMBURSE YOU FOR SHIPPING UNLESS FOR SOME REASON YOU ARE OKAY WITH IT, OR YOU ARE IN LA AND THEN I DRIVE TO DROP IT OFF.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm getting jeans donations to keep. I know none of you know me in person I think. If any of you in LA are familiar with the Brewery Art Walk, it is a legit art collective show and I am going to be a part of it. People will show up to see these anyways and if someone is a used jean-cummer, we do have security people, you know.

If you are worried about it getting lost in the mail, get tracking confirmation. It has a receipt. I will reimburse for that too, but usually priority mail doesn't get lost in the mail.

Again, who the fuck said you guys are paying for shipping both ways? I understand you not trusting me, but don't put words in my mouth, okay?

Or should I just take this to mynudies or something where people actually read what I write? I just want to borrow some jeans. You will be out $8.50 for a week. If you can afford these jeans and can't be out $8.50 for a week, then I don't know what.

Seriously guys, read the post and then reply. I will try to make the show as awesome as possible for people who do come out. We have a whole bunch of artists working on various things.

In addition, we are using medium-format cameras to take details of the damage done to the jeans, and those will be the photos sent out. They will be done professionally.

you confused everyone in post #5. BubblyMasquerade asked if the shipping would be at the "originial owner's cost" and you said "Yeah."

no one was putting words in your mouth.

I wrote back the reply meaning as in me mailing back the jeans at the cost the original owner paid for.

And those jeans look fantastic. I am real. When are you free? I'm pretty busy during this weekend but next weekend I can drive up to the valley.

Definitely would love to see the exhibit...too bad you're doing it so far away. Any chance for a repeat performance in Berlin (Germany)? Hopefully you'll document the show here extensively.

Definitely would love to see the exhibit...too bad you're doing it so far away. Any chance for a repeat performance in Berlin (Germany)? Hopefully you'll document the show here extensively.

It's sort of an art collective so people will be taking tons of pictures. Or I can just bring my digital camera and get some unprofessional shots of things.

this sounds cool i have some edwins that have been thrashed but nothing too exciting but im gunna try and make it down for the exhibit...hope to see some great jeans.

Would love to see the trashed Edwins...any pics?

this sounds cool i have some edwins that have been thrashed but nothing too exciting but im gunna try and make it down for the exhibit...hope to see some great jeans.

Wouldn't mind having those in the exhibit, tbh, if you don't mind.

Was reminded of an installation by Adam Chodzko called Borrowed Cold Lodge:

Borrowed Cold Lodge 2008

Borrowed Cold Lodge

Installation of 286 items of cold-weather,

protective, outer clothing, borrowed from St Ives

and the West Penwith area, 286 loan forms,

Patrick Heron Glass, Coat rails, coat hooks,

barrels and drawing

Dimensions variable

Commissioned by Tate St Ives

Borrowed%20Cold%20Lodge%2012%20do%20as%20main%20image%20lola!.jpg

Borrowed%20Cold%20Lodge

Borrowed%20Cold%20Lodge

Borrowed%20Cold%20Lodge%2015

Here is the artist chatting about the above and other pieces in his 2008 exhibition at Tate St Ives:

http://www.tate.org.uk/tateshots/episode.jsp?item=15731

exhibition:

http://www.tate.org.uk/stives/exhibitions/adamchodzko/

homepage:

http://www.adamchodzko.com/

Well we got a few nice looking pairs sitting around, it should be interesting. We are planning on doing something industrial and raw which should be interesting because my friend/collaborator's show involves hand-sewn refurbished clothes right next to mine.

If somehow I get enough money, a followup to this would be me shooting new pairs of raw jeans and displaying the results, but I wouldn't dare ask people to donate new pairs of jeans. Or guns.

holy shitz, jim is that you

jeff k/jon b (OC/LA) were talking about this

i has a pair of apc ns i can probaby donate. g'luck

(here's some +rep)

haha ya it's me, who is this?

talk to me tonight at the red button day party if you are there