breaking in washed denim

cheapmuthafukr

you may get some fading in the thighs but theres no point in starching because if they are light or thin denim the starch wont hold the creases.

EDIT: you said they were soft not thin.. sorry. you may be able to do it as long as theyre of a decent weight.

Edited by adsurgo on Oct 17, 2005 at 12:37 PM

Look at the underside of the denim. is it white, or yellow? or is it blue? If it's white or yellow, you'll get fading. take a wet paper towel and rub the surface of the jeans. did the towel get blue on it? if so, they'll definitely fade.

However, if they're very soft, the creases won't be super sharp, so don't expect Nudies-web-site looking fades.

hello buddy, the jeans are WASHED. the original starch has already faded and been broken down. to get a nice crisp and hard look/ feel he is going to want to starch them. starching more worn out or washed jeans will make sharper creases especially if he starches and sits down while they dry. this doesnt not mean they will fade better because of other factors like how the indigo in them still sits, but it may.

Quote:

hello buddy, the jeans are WASHED. the original starch has already faded and been broken down. to get a nice crisp and hard look/ feel he is going to want to starch them. starching more worn out or washed jeans will make sharper creases especially if he starches and sits down while they dry. this doesnt not mean they will fade better because of other factors like how the indigo in them still sits, but it may.

--- Original message by adsurgo on Oct 17, 2005 04:47 PM

Do you think people in the 60s and 70s sat around starching the creases in their Levis? Do you think any of the Japanese jeans people post as "holy grails" around here (the faded Eternals or Sugarcanes or what have you) have been starched?

Answer: no.

Starching is unnecessary.

Quote:

But he isn't saying that starching is necessary. He's saying it's recommended.

And I think most people would agree- it helps.

--- Original message by onemancult on Oct 17, 2005 05:15 PM

I said "starching is unnecessary" and he said "not for washed denim." So, no, implied that starching IS necessary for washed denim. Not that it's recommended.

Not sure what denim people are talking about here but generally indigo will fade well no matter what.

I've seen old men walking around with 501s that were obviously bought with a simple rinse wash finish. They look amazing now beautiful contrast in both groin and back of knees. And i can tell you these old men would have not been allowed by their wives to not wash them for more than a week.

I would say you will still get fading but not as nice and pronounced. Also, you say it is very dark, this may be a combination of indigo and sulfur dyestuff. Note that the black coloured sulfur dyestuff does not fade in the same way as pure indigo.

Also, I have read a lot of threads in Superfuture that talk glowingly about denim that smudges blue in your hands.

A point on this is that this should not happen if the dying process is done properly. ie they have slipped up in either the concentrations of dyestuff or in the oxidisation process. I used to use a mill (they have shut down now) who were experts in indigo dyestuffs. I once made a pair of jeans that were 20 times dipped. Except for when you wet them they would not discolour at all.

Just info sorry if off topic...

I hope indigo doesn't cause cancer...

... could you hand me the dental floss