Apple iPod

john11f

I checked out Steve Jobs' presentation and it seems logical to keep some music videos in your iPod. At the end of the day, it's up to the consumer if he will succumbed to this new lifestyle. Jobs is really a visionary. I see the future in the way he presents technology. He knws what he's selling. A marketing genius!

I don't know if you'd actually want to watch movies or videos on your iPod (except maybe on a bus or airplane), but the great thing would be to be able to carry them all around with you wherever you go and be able to hook it up to whatever monitor or TV is available, say at your friend's place or in a hotel, office, wherever...

I don't see myself watching videos on my iPod.. but I want one anyway. My 4th generation iPod will look pretty silly with a small screen compared to the 5th. And it's lighter and thinner.

What a dilemma though.. black or white?

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

Edited by Tisswat on Oct 14, 2005 at 01:41 AM

you can carry the files around with you at the moment though - it is just a big hard drive, the only difference is you can't watch any of the videos or see any of the files without plugging it into a computer so i guess i can see the advantage of having one...

personally i'd like to get hold of an ipod nano - its soo teeny and im sick of my ipod - its soo heavy!

Quote:

I don't know if you'd actually want to watch movies or videos on your iPod (except maybe on a bus or airplane), but the great thing would be to be able to carry them all around with you wherever you go and be able to hook it up to whatever monitor or TV is available, say at your friend's place or in a hotel, office, wherever...

--- Original message by frideswide on Oct 14, 2005 01:38 AM

Yeah, thats great, but totally ruined by the fact that you need to carry with you the video cable, dock and a power adaptor, which do NOT come with the iPod but need to be purchased separetely.

Power adapter $29

AV cable $19

Dock $39

Remote $29

Not much of a deal anymore, huh.

tally-hoo

Guest UNKLE21

yah...archos suck because there is no real software for it like itunes to transfer videos and its alot of manual labor, the ipod video is alot more convenient even if it doesnt have a big screen, but im sure that Steve Jobs is going to come out with a big screen version i.e. make it horizontal soon. and i think that even if u have to carry cables with you, and u have to pay an extra hundred or so dollars, to be able to carry around 150 hours of video is at least 70 movies everywhere its pretty amazing.

Nudies for 5 months and going

I'm selling my current 20gb 4th gen ipod which has basically never been used if anyone's interested:

I bought this in July and never really got around to using it. I've taken it on two trips but only listened to it for a few minutes each time. There are a few light scratches on the back (silver) part, but the screen is in flawless condition. The unit has never had to be recharged so I imagine that the battery life is flawless. I don't have any fancy addons or anything for it, just the headphones that have only been in my ears once or twice (no earwax!) and the charger/usb cable.

$205 shipped to the US, 215 international?

Will post pics if requested.

PM/AIM me or post here for paypal

Edited by verb on Oct 14, 2005 at 11:20 AM

Quote:

theyre ok. horrible battery life for video play back kills it for me. my 6gb mini will still do fine for now..im moreannoyed that they updated the imac and i bought 1 a little over a month ago..oh well..its the way the world works with computers..

--- Original message by Ryan on Oct 14, 2005 07:49 AM

i just bought an imac a month ago as well. the new imacs look great, but i'm satisfied with mine

i can't wait for the intel macs though

Quote:

yah...archos suck because there is no real software for it like itunes to transfer videos and its alot of manual labor, the ipod video is alot more convenient even if it doesnt have a big screen, but im sure that Steve Jobs is going to come out with a big screen version i.e. make it horizontal soon. and i think that even if u have to carry cables with you, and u have to pay an extra hundred or so dollars, to be able to carry around 150 hours of video is at least 70 movies everywhere its pretty amazing.

--- Original message by UNKLE21 on Oct 14, 2005 11:09 AM

but how is carrying around movies any different than ANY other player? its not like you can watch much of it either.

tally-hoo

regardless of video functions, its 30gb and $299, thats cheap. It has a 20 hr battery and is much smaller than the old 4g.

Unless it can play avi or mpg I wouldnt use the video, but I would still prefer the new one to my 20gb 4g.

dunno i'm not a big fan of the ipod anymore. after having the 4th gen twice, both broke on me in a matter of one year... they are only fun to have cus everyone has/wants one, but the workmanship is shoddy... is it me or apple is milking the whole ipod craze, they've come out with the shuffle, nano, photo, and now the video, and like the year isn't even over. when i realized the nano was just the same thing as the mini i was like, what?!? the apple screen looks tiny to be watching anything on. looks like the old school portable handheld tv's. i don't understand why they didn't make the screen larger.

imma stick to using my sony psp for all functions. i can listen to music, watch umd videos, download videos, encode my own videos(little bit difficult but doable), play games, look at pictures, go on the web, and oh yea, it plays games too. haha. its a bit bigger, but whatever it still fits in my back pocket. the screen quality is awesome and its big, i can put my own wallpaper on, battery life is decent, plus they sell battery packs for only 50 bucks. plus i got the ebgames warranty, where if i break it i get a new one. haha.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sneakergrrl