Fashion Contract

Yay or Nay.

I am doing the PR/Marketing work for a small t-shirt line coming out in Spring 2006. I have madee many contacts to help in promotions and have bartered most of the marketing for our website. I also have gotten us a write up in a famous Lad mag to help too.

I feel I have done so far good work to help develop this line from grass roots.

The designer is STILL negotiating with the person who funded the project on percentage split.

So far I do not have a contract and I only moved forward because the designer is my friend. The promise of a contract has been prolonged by 3 months.

What do you think is fair in this process, for me the PR/Marketing person ?

Thank you

As a person in the design profession the only advise I could give you is get as far away from that situation as possible. You have no securities. Nothing is in writing and 3 months is way to long to go w/o compisation especially for creative work. Cut your losses and walk away man. I've been in that same situation.

Q

Let's clarify some things.

"Yay or Nay."

The way this question is posed, I would answer Nay, myself. That, of course, is on the grounds of not knowing any of the individuals involved or the nuances of the situation.

"I am doing the PR/Marketing work for a small t-shirt line coming out in Spring 2006. I have madee many contacts to help in promotions and have bartered most of the marketing for our website. I also have gotten us a write up in a famous Lad mag to help too."

As of yet, we have an e-mail from a Lad mag, NOT a write-up.

"I feel I have done so far good work to help develop this line from grass roots."

Agreed, although no actual promotions have been developed and seen in public.

"The designer is STILL negotiating with the person who funded the project on percentage split."

This is true, however the contract is being done pro-bono, and as we all know favors take time.

"So far I do not have a contract and I only moved forward because the designer is my friend."

FC has never presented a contract to sign for his services, so his statement can be misleading.

I am a man of my word and as a friend, FC should trust that he would have been appropriately compensated for any agreed upon work and terms.

"The promise of a contract has been prolonged by 3 months."

As I said, the contract FC is mentioning is not between FC and us. It is between the designer and the manufacturer. FC has never presented terms or a contract for his services as was requested of him.

"What do you think is fair in this process, for me the PR/Marketing person ?"

With the above mentioned points in mind, and the fact that I am true to my word, as you know, it would be fair for you to present your terms and I would sign them and be responsible for those terms personally.

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

Edited by dagsolo on Oct 10, 2005 at 08:18 AM