The Flat Head - Arc Re-design?

sorry if i'm setting up a gratuitous thread here guys, but i'm interested if anyone else is having a hard time living with these new arcs. i'm loving these f380s (more or less..) but i unpicked the arcs after a month cos i just think they're a bad piece of graphic design. for me, the crazy thing is after the levi's fiasco the studio d'artisan arcs aren't that different from the old ones and the flathead arcs were cool to begin with. apart from the red tabs i can't see why flathead couldn't have kept something closer to the original arcs. anyway, i think they should take a look at re-designing them cos right now they aint happening (imo)....

I basically took a seam ripper to my F310's as soon as I got them. About a month later, I was wondering what it would have looked like if I only tore out part of the arcs (not my jeans... just used the pic to photochop):

2368371916_d9c89dfa6b_o.jpg

2367538393_b43c8a466f_o.jpg

After choppage, I figured I probably would have ripped it all out in the end anyway. Oh well. Kinda can't wait til the Warehouse contest is over so I can wear em again.

^ I think they look good. I like that they are going a little bit out of their way to establish a brand identity. While "authenticity" and all that is nice, it's also nice to have a pair of jeans that make you feel that you are buying a special product.

^^Well the concept of using a backpocket stitch to help establish brand identity has proven to be quite effective. But FH just chose a poor design in my opinion. It is way too feminine and jordache-y for a brand that places such an emphasis on intense, indestructible, quality. But either way, when I eventually get a pair I just plan to remove the arc altogether..

The only thing keeping me from buying a pair of Flatheads is the irregular backpocket shape. I'd just take off the pocket stitching. I agree that it's a horrible design. I have a lot of respect for Flathead, but come on, does anyone think it looks good?

Just get a pair of the new batch of 3001's. New stitching (to take off), old pocket design.

actually, unpicking the arcs is a total nightmare. they're kind of double-stitched with 2 different types of thread. i initially took of the swirly bit leaving just the fork, but you have to be super-careful cos both parts are connected. in fact, the fork-tongue on it's own looks unbalanced so i just removed the lot... if yr gonna do it, be prepared for a long and laborious job!

• 5 months later...
The only thing keeping me from buying a pair of Flatheads is the irregular backpocket shape. I'd just take off the pocket stitching. I agree that it's a horrible design. I have a lot of respect for Flathead, but come on, does anyone think it looks good?

just looked this up, because i might be having a date with the seam ripper myself.

my f380 are just dope. the back pocket shape is really nice in real life. nevertheless, if you do not dig the shape of them just go for any of the regular 1xxx, 3xxx or 5xxx versions. same shape, but symmetric back pockets!

problem is, i think the only 66s 501 cut TFHs are the f380s ...

all the rest should be fine:

f310 - 1001 - 3001 - 5001

f350 - 1005 - 3005 - 5005

f370 - 1007 - 3007 - 5007

f380 - ???

Guest Dubmaster
How long will this thread go before a mod locks it because people are expressing an opinion contrary to that held by the general consensus of the board? Flathead is jocked by a lot of people so I would say not for long.

So what you are saying is if you don't follow the consensus on SuFu one shouldn't post? In other ward contrary opinions are not allowed here? Wow! I for one will be saddend if this is really the prevailing opinion here.

So what you are saying is if you don't follow the consensus on SuFu one shouldn't post? In other ward contrary opinions are not allowed here? Wow! I for one will be saddend if this is really the prevailing opinion here.

Word, Hunter! :cool:

'The decision to flee came suddenly. Or maybe not. Maybe I'd planned it all along - subconsciously waiting for the right moment.'

i think what PBJ has done with the leaf embroidery is pretty sophisticated and wouldn't mind if flathead did something similar.

i don't mind the funky shaped pockets, but i think those particular pockets look better without stitching at all.

i think my reaction to any arcuates that aren't remotely similar to levi's is usually dislike. there's just something about them like if it's not the levi's arcuates or the lee s or the wrangler w, i don't want anything there at all.

on another note, how in the world isthe steam locomotive still able to get away with their stitching. i mean if those aren't blatant i don't know what is.

Guest Dubmaster
i think what PBJ has done with the leaf embroidery is pretty sophisticated and wouldn't mind if flathead did something similar.

i don't mind the funky shaped pockets, but i think those particular pockets look better without stitching at all.

i think my reaction to any arcuates that aren't remotely similar to levi's is usually dislike. there's just something about them like if it's not the levi's arcuates or the lee s or the wrangler w, i don't want anything there at all.

on another note, how in the world isthe steam locomotive still able to get away with their stitching. i mean if those aren't blatant i don't know what is.

Easy dude, you don't wanna bring some unwanted attention to a few brands who can still fly under the radar -- more power to Steam Locomotive being able to get away with it. It makes it easy for folks who love repro with arcs to cop them. I for one still have a brand spanking new FOB 151 -- talk about Levi arcs?