portishead

NESK

so they are back together and about to release their new album, three. aparently its been leaked so im starting a topic so that someone can direct me to where to get it.

they are releasing a box set with a P-shaped usb key that contains the album with some posters and dvds of live footage and the double vinyl lp. $80. i cant wait. still wanna hear it now though cause ive read its their best work.

who got the hookup?

I said it about 3 weeks ago. And I'll say it again... When I first put it on I thought it was a joke. I STILL think it's a joke.

It sounds like portishead without electricity, experimenting with different time signatures.

It is a practicing beta Portishead if they were a amish math nerd. Beta being the key word.

Terrible, skip it.

I said it about 3 weeks ago. And I'll say it again... When I first put it on I thought it was a joke. I STILL think it's a joke.

It sounds like portishead without electricity, experimenting with different time signatures.

It is a practicing beta Portishead if they were a amish math nerd. Beta being the key word.

Terrible, skip it.

Don't know that it's that bad but it does seem a little off their best.

If you dig the debut Geoff Barrow said that Jerry Goldsmiths Planet of the Apes score is basically where they stole all their ideas

I don't know what you guys are talking about because I'm half way through this and I'm fucking diggin' it hard.

Keagan, if you're that dismissive towrards music, I feel sorry for you, because you're probably missing out on a lot of great music. Your opinion seems very ignorant and "showy," and didn't really explain why you think this is terrible. It honestly didn't make much sense to me, except the "terrible, skip it" part.

It would be cool if you stopped contributing your opinion until you had something worthwhile to say.

This is really great record so far. It's dark like their previous albums, with a retro movie score feel. I think there's less of a hip-hop influences (although def still there), but I still totally dig the direction they went. I really didn't want to hear another version of their previous work.

I don't know what you guys are talking about because I'm half way through this and I'm fucking diggin' it hard.

Keagan, if you're that dismissive towrards music, I feel sorry for you, because you're probably missing out on a lot of great music. Your opinion seems very ignorant and "showy," and didn't really explain why you think this is terrible. It honestly didn't make much sense to me, except the "terrible, skip it" part.

It would be cool if you stopped contributing your opinion until you had something worthwhile to say.

This is really great record so far. It's dark like their previous albums, with a retro movie score feel. I think there's less of a hip-hop influences (although def still there), but I still totally dig the direction they went. I really didn't want to hear another version of their previous work.

What if I told you my opinion is worthwhile?

it sounds unmixed, but I am listening on studio monitors. It sounds not even half done. The fucking off-time, awkward, hard-panned cowbell on magic doors is driving me insane. To the point that it's ruining the entire song.

Gibbons sounds like she just crawled out of a inflamed overturned semi.

Ukuleles aren't ironic or funny

The rip and small are ruined by terrible synths.

I am not sure It sounds like they're trying way to hard to be avant garde. The untuned guitars tell me that they are onto some early arto lindsay bullshit.

its just a bunch of bullshit. Sounds like it belongs on no new york. 18 years late....

there is a massive lack of sub too. Nothing under 60hz here.

really, don't get so defensive.

What if I told you my opinion is worthwhile?

it sounds unmixed, but I am listening on studio monitors.

Yes.

Whats leaked clearly isnt the finished product. This probably isnt even a 'beta'. I wouldnt be surprised if most of these songs arent on the official release. With that said, I dont hate it, but I cant say it stands up to their previous releases.

machine gun is amazing for that regimented throbbing gristle-esque beat.

if you dont like machine gun, you're challenged. honestly.

as for the leak, it definitely sounds iffy. but im not hating it all that much.

I personally like the raw/messy sound, I think it adds to the eerieness and over all feel of the songs.

Even if this is a rough cut, the more I listen the more I like. It's a grower.

Sounds like a kickass movie score to a late 80's film about a badass internation narcotics officer...or something.

I think the new record is amazing. Doesn't sound like the older stuff but would you really want them to make the same record 10+ years later? I think part of the reason they made such a challenging record is to keep their songs from appearing as background music in every shitty coffee shop and trendy restaurant in the world like it has in the past.

Also, Beth Gibbons is 43, Geoff Barrow is 35, Adrian Utley is 50. These are grown folks making grown folks music. If a 17 year old (Keagan, I'm looking in your direction) doesn't quite get what they're doing it shouldn't come as a surprise.

that was terrible.

I don't understand "grown-folks music"... not at all?...

Just because a band is older than me that automatically makes them more musically advanced than me?

So, like do I have to get a mortgage to understand this record?

Roger doyle is 59. Im sure I don't understand operating theatre either... Because he is 2 generations older than me. He could be my grandpa! And I listen to his music?? what!!!!!! Thats fucking crazy!!!!!

I know exactly what they're trying to do! They're trying to make a new record that is AMAZING. And something that doesn't sound like the older stuff---- but not so much, so it can be played in 'shitty' coffee shops and trendy restaurants! Because who wants consistency???

Im sure you thought the endless not was fucking great too, didn't you?

This is stupid, it is disappointing.

I hate this, you might not, thats okay. I can't see why, but thats okay.

Please do not reply to this because I cannot keep going.

Count me in as a fan of the new album. Dummy was my favorite album when it came out and I've stayed listening to it consistently to this point, and no, the new album is nothing like Dummy but I like it in it's own right. The new one is definitely not what I expected, although I'd been warned. I was expecting it to be terrible, but I immediately was drawn to the unkempt vibe and the unexpected sound. I like the rough engineering and unusual melodies and vocals.