consolidated streetwear discussion thread

Guest jmatsu

Guest jmatsu

Quote:

Originally Posted by cultpop 0217 viewpost.gif

baggy work pants i stole from my fucking grandpa with the bottoms chopped off that were eight sizes too big over suede clydes when only soccer kids wore them with t shirts we made with magic markers,blood, and duct tape for locals only bitches.

what the fuck kinda question is this?

does anyone else remember when streetwear was just the shit you wore on the streets? back before a bunch of clever assholes co opted the whole shebang? im not even that old but i can still remember when fashion and streetwear were uneasy bedfellows.

i mean rock supreme, wtps, or whatever else you like, its all good, but at least remember where the shit came from (hint: way before 2000). thats all im sayin kiddies...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackPhotography viewpost.gif

streetwear was at the very beginning was maybe a tiny bit about something that reflects real life, but at it's core it was always about the philosophy of futility.

Instead of a life just tied to labor, it incorporated poverty, and other things deemed "street" and perhaps at one time reflected the life of the "street".

Very soon, I think it changed into an entity that influences life//styles rather than reflecting it//them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eccles viewpost.gif

Your prose is a little fruity but I agree a little and with cultpop

The kind of things I go for that Taps and Supreme reproduce are no brand military/work items which you would pick up from charity and thrift stores before it all got rerouted to some overpriced 'vintage' boutique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papoose viewpost.gif

im with eccles and dum, i source and wear supremes basic military, work wear, ivy league, varsity etc items, and mix with items that have and do inspire contemporary labels; champion, red wing, patagonia, ralph, sierra, clarks, levis, wangler.... including og military and work wear; usn, hickory, herringbone, coveralls etc, moslty sticking to made in the u.s.a americana.

one example is that i dont wear vans that are made in china, only u.s.a, with the preferred shape and quality a side its down to good ol' branding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fndmybetterhalf viewpost.gif

all this analyzing and critiquing of what streetwear should be is whats killing streetwear.

when you're sitting here comparing og streetwear steez with new brands that are poppin up all around, how do you compare the two?

i see the origins of streetwear as shit you wore with steez. no one gave a fuck about the legitimacy of a brand cuz if they did, no one woulda been rockin Starter Raiders sweats and shit. the fact that some of you take so much time to analyze modern day streetwear moreso than just wearin the shit like you should, kills what streetwear should stand for.

i agree, alot of brands are doin some whack ass shit with their prints, but those brands aside (admitably probably the majority of streetwear these days), but there are still brands that are doin legit street, but you people are too caught up on complaining about shit that nothing sounds legit anymore.

point being, get over yourselves, take influences from what you wore and knew before and work with it with what you got now instead of complaining about it and talkin hours on end about whats real OG.

Quote:

The reason why streetwear is dead is because Brands are trying to influence lifestyle aesthetic rather than being an actual representation of a real lifestyle or aesthetic.

You can see it in the brands that chase trends or be the first brand to put out original prints and every other brand that attempts to copy it afterwards.

You should critically think about things especially in a world where there is so much manipulation to get you to not care or not critically think about anything and accept everything even if it's against everything that you supposedly believe in.

Thinking should never be discouraged...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fndmybetterhalf viewpost.gif

this exact sentiment is what i'm arguing against. yes, while streetwear should REFLECT, not represent, lifestyle, streetwear brands bac in the day never went out of their way to legitimize their brand as streetwear. you look at kids in the 90's rockin Tommy and Nautica pullovers, that was wat was good for me. that shit was NOT streetwear by today's standards but it was street cuz thats wat the kids wore on the street. It wasn't some grand thing called Streetwear back then, it was just what the kids wore int he streets cuz that was wat was available to them. I was sitll young at around that time but I still look back and try to draw influeces from that.

essentially we're arguing for the same thing, which is stating that streetwear brands these days have no legitimacy in it and are hopping from one trend to another. but i'm arguing for what streetwear should stand for.

thats why i think Cheep does streetwear so well, the guy dresses in whatever he has and he makes it work, incorporating what he has to make it street. its not try hard like most kids these days that sit here and critique everything wrong with streetwear brands these days. just wear the shit and make it work instead of trying to make the clothes work for you

Quote:

word.

all i want to know is why does streetwear constantly reward age ("OG" over "Retro" etc.)

in other fashion you get taken to task for being "last season" unless it's a retrospective.

cuz moreso than other fashion cultures, streetwear now is heavily based on its roots and the culture behind it. its not just abotu the aesthetics and whats "in".

streetwear brands these days arent considered "street" unless theres some kind of story behind it. its almost always a reflection of what was before.

yes this can be applied to highfashion as highfashion is often influenced by past trends, but with streetwear, its about relfecting what was a lifestyle back in the days and making it into a form of aesthetic.

ha, me an expert? hardly.

but wat do you want me to write a novel for you? streetwear is the way it is cuz its the way its been. the entire industry is based on establishing credibility. arguably most brands these days cant and wont establish that credibility and thats why theres so much debate around it. i agree in that alot of steretwear teeshirt print brands arent any different from an old navy tshirt with a gun printed on it. theres no meaning behind it.

again, my stance on streetwear isnt some god written thing. there are people tat'll argue that streetwear is about fresh prints and wat not and i dont blame them...cuz thats wat its really come down to now. but it would be wrong for me to say i'v grasped the perfect idea of wat streetwear is and should be cuz everything around streetwear is debatable cuz it goes so much further than just aesthetics.

"streetwear" is just a marketing ploy and thanks to hypebeast its worked well.

any of the brands that are considered og or respectable that are streetwear sure as shit didn't go into making clothing with the notion of we're going to make streetwear. no it was let's make some shit we think is cool. now its the other way around, lets make some shit that hb will think is cool so we can make some serious cash.

Guest '___________________'

Streetwear isn't dead. It's just been bastardized like any art, where it's copied over and over, same shit regurgitated from one beaster to another, until its original meaning and connotation isn't there anymore.

In short, white boys living with mommy are killing streetwear. Just too out of fucking context to pull it off.

-'_______________________________'

Streetwear isn't dead. It's just been bastardized like any art, where it's copied over and over, same shit regurgitated from one beaster to another, until its original meaning and connotation isn't there anymore.

In short, white boys living with mommy are killing streetwear. Just too out of fucking context to pull it off.

-'_______________________________'

funny thing about your statement is much of the original streetwear was started by whiteboys....

supreme is still skate wear its just now completely coveted by streetwear poseurs basically supreme has become what skatewear companies hated for years, catering to nonskaters. zoo york is just shit now ever since ecko took them over. supra and krew are both just really trying hard to be the next big thing in skatewear shedding the functionality of the footwear for looks. the supra/krew company is extremely business savvy and have really gotten them selves into a position where kids that skate and dont give two shits about streetwear still buy some of their shit and kids who couldnt skate if the fucking deck was nailed to their feet will buy their shit. so what they are is just a fucking smart company in the vein of supreme but in their own way...which is kinda nice to see.

streetwear and mainsteam urban wear initially created by corporations and marketed to sell to urban culture are two different things. Well not now but in the beginning it was different.

The latter is the bastardization of the former. It seems like it's the normal progression of "art" or original forms of expression in our capitalist society though.

jack, jack, jack you sorry kid, i do know what im talking about. the two facets are not two different things, one was birthed before the other leading us to where we stand now, ecko was hot shit when it first dropped along with alphanumeric and other brands of that sort in a cross over manner, they were all legit "streetwear" companies at first, it became much more of business model and massmarket product as years passed and consumers evolved. at one point marc ecko's little rhino brand was just a small nyc start up. well you where most likely still in you're private elementary school at that point in time though and the first glimpse of it you saw was at trip to jc pennys years later and damn you thought that shit would go great with that nautica rugby shirt you plead with your mommy to buy for you since you saw some black dude with jordans on rocking one and he looked like a cool motherfucker.

supreme is still skate wear its just now completely coveted by streetwear poseurs basically supreme has become what skatewear companies hated for years, catering to nonskaters. zoo york is just shit now ever since ecko took them over. supra and krew are both just really trying hard to be the next big thing in skatewear shedding the functionality of the footwear for looks. the supra/krew company is extremely business savvy and have really gotten them selves into a position where kids that skate and dont give two shits about streetwear still buy some of their shit and kids who couldnt skate if the fucking deck was nailed to their feet will buy their shit. so what they are is just a fucking smart company in the vein of supreme but in their own way...which is kinda nice to see.

i really dont think supreme gives a fuck whether their customers are skaters or not. yea, they are a skate company at heart but their vision from the very beginning was always much broader. if the references and ideals alluded to in their designs speak to you in some way even if you are not a skater, then by all means, rock that shit. what nobody likes are the trend hoppers who are only wearing it to be cool and have no idea about the counter culture that supreme represents.

i used to buy t shirts from unique and had one of those backpacks from there

i bought triple five when it was hand made in a little store in LES

i bought stussy when it was on spring or prince (so long ago i forgot) and james jebbia used to work in the store folding tees and working the register....

werd!

i agree with you raskol to a large extent, but being that i grew up in skate culture and shit i know that dudes like the dudes behind supreme or any old school skater (im sure cheep would attest to this) used to rag on kids who would pick up skate gear cause they saw it and thought it was cool. now i know supreme definitely is not the average skate company and had broader ideas but when it boils back down to it, they are a skate company who acts elitist as the klan yet are really are just in it to make a buck at this point. and holy shit are they ever. i still respect supreme for what it was and for what they have done, but at this point much of it is just a joke. i mean how much of a counter culture is it? i see middle aged midwestern tourists wandering around nyc with their bags while they wait for their kids to finish up in urban outfitters

feel free to school me because im only speaking from some offhand memory, but didnt the ball start rolling with polo and hilfiger before fubu and ecko came around?

edit: 112 beat me to it

but those midwestern middle aged people? haha, have you considered that theyre old enough to have been in their skating prime before supreme was even an idea?

polo, hilfiger, nautica were big in the early days because it could be found on the cheap at marshalls, ross, tj maxx, jc penny's etc. and it was classy... but obviously none of those brands were marketing to a "streetwear" clientele

see, this is what i mean. your old age makes you cool. eventually even the wackest of brands right now, if they stick around without selling out too much, will be authentic/cool in the future.

werd...the older you are..the more street/hood you are

you cant grow up in the age of pdiddy / and the band and be street!!!

everything was better back then...

eric b..rakim...epmd.....jungle brothers....tribe....

everythings shit and commerical now...u find your style on the internet!!! we used to have to find shit by ourselves....

now street wear is all looks sames....

polo, hilfiger, nautica were big in the early days because it could be found on the cheap at marshalls, ross, tj maxx, jc penny's etc. and it was classy... but obviously none of those brands were marketing to a "streetwear" clientele

not sure when you are talkin....but those brands you mention didnt hit the "cheaper" stores too often in NYC back then...different now...

all the "street" kids stole it from macys and A&s and shit....

i am playing the old grumpy man of street wear cause i am older thn most of you probably and from NYC....so fuck youse!!!!!

Supreme aint streetwear. Its whiteboy skatewear. In over 25 years of living around Newark, the only time I've seen Supreme worn within that city was on a white kid lost on his way back from a rave.

wtaps, mhi, supreme, are you fuckin kiddin me? Only streets those brands ever see have outdoor cafes and art galleries.

Triple FAT Goose, 8-ball leathas, and Starter jackets, son.