Matching stripes debate 2008

dino might

Can a horizontal striped tie be worn with the proper vertical striped shirt?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Can a horizontal striped tie be worn with the proper vertical striped shirt?

• of course.
    • no, because I'm retarded just like dino's buddy.

a good friend of mine started giving me shit the other day for wearing a tie with diagonal stripes with a vertical striped shirt. he doesnt know the first thing about dressing properly so i promptly told him to "shut up, you ign'ant."

anyway, depending on the two articles, stripes of different directions can indeed be properly worn together.

what do you say?

Your friend is actually right, it's kind of an old unwritten rule not to wear a striped tie with a striped shirt because "it looks like an optical illusion".

But I think it works sometimes, I read somewhere it's more about the different widths of the stripes than their direction.

yeah ive heard that rule too. this is the exact premise he based his argument on. i say thats dumb. sometimes it applies, yes, but im saying its wrong to consider it a hard and fast dictum with no exceptions.

bonsai, i dont belong to styleforum, shut up.

belt loops in the first place are kind of a modern thing. nowadays pretty much every pair of pants has belt loops. it's probably cheaper or easier to manufacture, but the original way was to always wear suspenders with a waistcoat, or just have the adjustable tabs on the side. honestly it's just another one of those rules no one cares about anymore. outdated like common law.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with diagonal stripes against vertical, especially if they're of differing weight/thickness.

When you start wearing vertical against vertical or horizontal against vertical things get weird though.

yeah, the poll really threw me off...i was picturing all manner of awfulness in my head when "horizontal striped tie with vertical striped shirt" was tossed out there.

dino's fit with the diagonal bold stripes on vertical pencil stripes is on point.

I voted no, and in general, I stand by that. However, the subtlety of the stripes on the shirt and the massive size difference between shirt stripes and tie stripes make this look good, so for your argument . . . yeah.
yeah, the poll really threw me off...i was picturing all manner of awfulness in my head when "horizontal striped tie with vertical striped shirt" was tossed out there.

dino's fit with the diagonal bold stripes on vertical pencil stripes is on point.

shit I guess I should clarify, no doubt it can look shitty....

But this poll is whether or not it ALWAYS looks shitty and in regards to that combo I posted especially, since that's the one I was getting beef for..