Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Delta

How about SuperLeather??? Interest Check, thoughts, discussion

How woul you feel about a part of the board specifically for leather?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How woul you feel about a part of the board specifically for leather?

• Yes, could be interesting...
    • No, leave it as it is, hidden away in Superdenim, that's where I like it!

Originally posted in the "shoes that look better with age thread", now a thread of it's own:

How would you guys feel about a specific subforum based around this thread, maybe put the other leather topics (wallet, evolution, pyc, black boots etc) in there aswell, and take it from there.

This thread has evolved into an unsearchable beast and is getting close to 300 pages, with every possible brand, new or thrift, etc. thrown in together.

I recently tried to find a specific shoe in here and I spend 15 minutes searching with no result.

After all, the denim sub forum started out like this aswell, as interest in jeans started getting bigger and bigger, it was given it's own place on the board.

I feel like that for how big and diverse this thread is it would deserve it.

There could be brand specific threads, info on care, thrift finds etc, basicly just the denim board but about leather and boots.

These are just my 2 cnts.

Would love to hear reactions, and if there's enough interest I could start a specific thread in Superofficial and send some pm's.

Maybe. Do enough new people post in this thread to make it worth the effort, though?
Good idea, Cotton. I spend a lot of time wading through this thread for information.
Alden's probably could have its own thread by now...
Exactly,

but not just Alden, also, White's, Danners, even specifically Indy's.

Have a specific thread about Catspaws, re-soling, shoe trees etc etc.

Ofcourse it would start small, but as interest grows (wich it clearly does), the board should grow with it, instead of just trying to overstretch an existing thread.

Where would an Alden thread go? Right now it'd either go in Fashion, where it doesn't belong, or in Shopper, alongside waywt and numerous Visvim and Supreme threads.

I feel that this thread is merely touching the surface of leather boots/shoes/etc and that just as with denim there is so much more to discuss than just seasonal new collections and colourways, or where to cop...

Ofcourse you could say that there are already other forums for this, but why send people somewhere else, when everything is just here at the fingertips of our own members (or so I believe), instead we should try to get more knowlegdable people to come here.

Right now Superdenim is one of the main (if not the main...) english spoken sources on niche denim on the internets.

It all started when several people started showing interest in APC/Jap denim...

superleather? I think it makes sense...I just hope that dividing this thread's subject matter won't prove that this thread is greater than the sum of its parts...one thing I like about this thread is that I have been turned on to styles and brands I wouldn't have followed if they were in a thread of their own. I realize that it is difficult to search a behemoth thread like this one, but it would also be a pain to try following 15 different threads a day instead of just one, all for the same subject matter.

Edit: After reading Cotton's second post (we were apparently posting at the same time) I think that the potential for expanding the Shoe/Leather knowledge base here makes it a more than worthwhile endeavor.

I see what you mean, however it wouldn't all be the same subject matter split in smaller threads, compare it to superdenim, yes it's all about denim, but there are mixed threads in there (evo, xxx, etc) and also brandspecific threads, care, repairs etc.

You obviously don't read every thread in there, yet still managed to find the MFSC's wich are very specific and not for everyone.

That's something I atleast don't worry about happening.

I agree completely with your sentiment, but you picked a poor example...I had completely missed the MFSC's because I had never been particularly interested in Sugarcane and wasn't even aware of the existence of Mister Freedom until I stumbled across pictures you posted from the So Cal road trip.

I am behind the idea though, as I think it would allow for some more focused discussion on all things leather...having shoes and jackets and wallets and supertalker creations all split up in different threads is a bummer and I think you are right, things could definitely evolve in a new more orderly subforum.

Ok, bad example, ha!

Still, it think that it could work really well.

But if it's just a select few who are down, then ofcourse.

I just figured I'd throw it out there...

i'm divided on the issue. cd's arguments make some sense. but.....

for me, this is one of my favorite threads so i have followed it from the first post and have read every page. i feel like it would be a bit sacrilegious to mess with such a venerable institution. the odd placement of the thread in superdenim only adds to the charm.

also, i like the fact that one big thread concentrates all the interested users in one place, so even if you can't find something through search you could ask and get a fast answer. for some reason in this thread people are a lot more friendly and tolerant of repeated small questions so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

lastly, i'm pretty much interested in all brands of leather boots/shoes and all things related to them, more so than i am in all brands of jeans (i suspect this is true of others as well) and as has been stated before it is a lot easier to read one thread than a whole subforum.

but.....if someone wants to put in the work, then the advantages could outweigh my reservations, which are mostly just inertia.

I think having a sub forum for all leather goods is a great idea. :D

This shoe thread is great, evo in the supershopper is great, but they are in diffrerent thread. Joining them will be a lot easier for ppl to follow all the crazy stuff ppl post in these threads.

Your points are totally valid, and honestly, a lot of them seem to be a more substantial articulation of some of my initial concerns. I would hope that this particular thread would stay intact, and active, as it is without a doubt my favorite thread on superfuture, but it would be nice to have more concise threads on certain brands, styles, maintenance and repair, etc.

I never meant splitting this thread up, just having more specific threads around it...

I agree with alot of the things you said aswell, Data.

It was just a thought...

Superleather would be a good idea. It would remind me of the vintage leather jacket forum, which is an entire forum. Within that, there are threads for mc jackets, WWII jackets, repro jackets, cloth jackets, etc. And even related gear, which is where folks on that site talk about denim and boots and sunglasses, etc.

I think if this thread keeps up at the current pace, it will eventually expand in some way or other.

What I'd like to avoid is having to look under two or more Super___ categories to find the stuff we talk about here.

I've really enjoyed this thread. I've learned quite a bit and even convinced me to get my 405's.

I think a separate collection would be fine. I just don't want to miss other threads about shoes I might not know about.

This thread is why I'm on superfuture.

At this point I think it's the best place on the internet (in english anyway) for discussing high end vintage or classic styled boots with a bunch of side excursions into resoling and polish and shoes and god knows what else.

I think it's deserving of it's own forum along with other leather goods that don't have a good home. My only concern is whether there is room for a forum that will largely tilt toward one aestetic. It would make me weep to see this great thread turned into it's own forum only to see it turn into a bunch of sneaker/high fashion shoe posts.

I'm torn.

Of course it would make me feel a little less weird coming into the denim forum to talk about shoes.

This thread delivers. I mean this is where I found out about Edward Green, C&J, Alden's, White's, etc. etc. Not to mention all the pics posted here. I kind of like diving into this massive thread trying to look for pics of Leica Lad's Grenson's or Greg's / Synthi's Skye's. The only thing that would suck, if all this info was lost. (*knocks on wood*)
i am deeply appreciative of the incongruous, taxonomy-defying behemoth that this thread has become. i like its rollicking, ever-changing nature within a single constant stream. i do understand that change is inevitable. hell, castro no longer leads cuba, so maybe change is truly in the air...
i've followed this thread since the beginning, and i've learned a hell of a lot, but for people new to it, it's just too hard to find some of the info, like GregNYC's steps to shoe shining, Chicken's restoration project a few weeks ago, and other helpful subjects. then again, like someone said about a page ago, this thread's denizens seem much more willing to answer repeated questions.

i do love this thread very much though.

i'd be happy to see superleather come to fruition and flourish. i think that it may start small, it may even take a while, but it has a place here, judging by the popularity of the various leather-based threads.

Evo of leather goods thread - 2310 posts

Shoes that look better w/ age - 5965 posts

Combined - 8275

SuperBlurber - 8205 total posts...

Evo of leather goods thread - 2310 posts

Shoes that look better w/ age - 5965 posts

Combined - 8275

SuperBlurber - 8205 total posts...

...way to quantify... this info crystrallizes things a bit more... and demonstrates that we should have the new subtopic...

The more I think about this, and how much more accessible it would make some of the vast knowledge here, the more excited I get.

I've just shot a pm to some of the people in Supercharge, I have no clue how much work it would be to get this done, but if it works I think it could turn out to be really good...

Yeah, this is a completely good idea.

But in the interest of keeping the board of a reasonable size, I'd '86 the superlist subforum if a new subforum came to be.

get this done, would be really useful.

i think making this a subforum in superdenim would be a good idea

seeing that most people that care about denim care about leather

that way the board list wouldnt get more cluttered

but i do think the superblurber forum is pretty useless

I've just shot a pm to some of the people in Supercharge, I have no clue how much work it would be to get this done, but if it works I think it could turn out to be really good...

given that everything is already coded, it would take about 5 minutes for a programmer to add a new section. and its a fantastic idea. i like shoes as much as i like pants.

voted yes..

I have never posted in superdenim, and I almost never go there... but I do see myself participating in superleather.

and I think it has the potential to be a pretty good subforum

in fact now that it is introduced i am kind of surprised it doesn't exist already

a new subforum would work, whether it be

leather goods

shoes + accessories

shoes

also, I think it's time to eliminate either superfashion or supershopper, I have never understood the difference. One is for fashion, and one is for shopping for fashion?

do we really need superlists??

combine fashion and shopper, but divide it somehow between styles. get rid of both blurber and lists. add superleather. i also suggest section that is for creativity, diy, and business.

a new subforum would work, whether it be

leather goods

shoes + accessories

shoes

also, I think it's time to eliminate either superfashion or supershopper, I have never understood the difference. One is for fashion, and one is for shopping for fashion?

do we really need superlists??

For a number of reasons, I feel that leather goods is infinitely better than shoes, or shoes +accessories.

Don't forget that there are several looongggggs thread on leather objects elsewhere ("Evolution of leather goods" in supershopper for example). A new subforum where leather geeks can gather and discuss those things, along with more advanced topics (dyeing, DIY etc.) would be awesome.

Great idea.

The fact that this remains a conundrum really speaks more to the continued need and relevance for / of the Superfashion sub-forum than against it.

I was thinking no, just because it fits so well with superdenim. Now I'm thinking if it works then it could be great. If superdenim is pretty much the best english denim board on the net at the moment, superleather could become the same if it gets a good start and becomes established. There is nothing else decent around the net right now either so why not.

So far no reaction whatsoever from any Superofficial,

I'm disappointed...

Let's keep this alive, I think it is definitely worthwhile.

the secret is to start dumping so much shit about leather into one sub-forum, they bust and make y'all a seperate one. its not like civil war or anything, when the commanders prance around to the middle of the battle grounds to tell'em they're gonna start killing each other.

this should happen sooner than later.

video is tops

the secret is to start dumping so much shit about leather into one sub-forum, they bust and make y'all a seperate one. its not like civil war or anything, when the commanders prance around to the middle of the battle grounds to tell'em they're gonna start killing each other.

See, that's the issue with this. While there may be plenty of posts as that one fellow demonstrated (8000+) that's from what? Two threads? You only really need a sub-forum when you need to contain the actual number of threads, not the posts within said threads. If there were so many threads about leather that they were clogging other forums I could understand, but they simply aren't.

See, that's the issue with this. While there may be plenty of posts as that one fellow demonstrated (8000+) that's from what? Two threads? You only really need a sub-forum when you need to contain the actual number of threads, not the posts within said threads. If there were so many threads about leather that they were clogging other forums I could understand, but they simply aren't.

They aren't because the overwhelming majority of the posters that participate in the Shoes that look better...thread are aware that there isn't really an appropriate and centralized place to start new threads about a) a particular shoe/boot brand b)shoe repair service recommendations c)ideas for custom/modified shoes d)sizing questions etc. etc. so they just bring all of those questions to one thread. As Cotton originally pointed out, the thread is completely unmanageable now and for that reason, the same questions are getting asked over and over and over again. I am as guilty as anyone of asking questions I know have been answered in the thread, but am fortunate to have not worn out the good graces of those that post in that thread.

What I am trying to say, is that there would be a variety of threads if there was an appropriate venue for them. It would be a bummer if the only effective way to initiate change would be to start shitting up superdenim or superculture or supershopper. I also think it is worthwhile considering the idea that a superleather subforum could evolve to be equivalent with superdenim in terms of being one of the internet's best english language resources on its subject matter.