basic sweaters

heartsandcrafts

your usual mall staples like banana republic, gap, express, jcrew etc. will have them now. i love v-neck sweaters and you really can't tell the difference from brand to brand.

i like mine to have medium deep v neck's and to rib at the cuffs and hem.

zara and club monaco also had some nice ones that had a nice deep, narrow v-neck

if you're saying "any old sweater will do" you know nothing about clothing.

stay away from the big guys stuff, polo makes awful sweaters, other than thier woven ones, with the thick weave, not the tight knit type.

j crew makes a nice general sweater with a decent cut, but if you either a) have built arms or B) want to wear a button down under it you're out of luck, they are far to fitted and look silly.

lacoste makes great cableknits... i personally love a cableknit sweater over any others.

I currently rock a RL with the american flag on it i got from my mother. It's hyper patriotic but it's a GREAT fit and amazing material, hands down my favorite sweater aside from the awful chest logo. I'm looking to get an 80s style lacoste v neck cable knit, but the odds of finding a clean white one are slim to none... but we'll see.

I am amassing a large collection of sweaters as of the past year. I collect and sell vintage sweatshirts, but I like to wear vintage cable knits and wacky henly type gay Christmas sweaters. But I am very peticular on the type. I have like 4 that are my favorites and they cost me like 50 cents each! They are pretty rad. My fiance hinks I'm weird, but I think they look great in an anti fashion type of way.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

If you can find a bennetton outlet in your area, you can get like 15 dollar basic sweaters. I bought 3 of them last year. They fit great also, cut short and slim.

Almost every brand adds sweaters in their fall and winter colletions. If you want quality just hit up expensive brands like dior or marc jacobs. Apc has nice black sweaters that run in the 150s.

Edited by obladi on Sep 13, 2005 at 09:22 PM

• 2 years later...

i'm looking for a few new sweaters for this winter...

all i've really worn was mostly jcrew sweaters, i have about 10 of them in various colors/material...

but i feel they just don't fit really great, they fit okay, but for the most part no.

who makes a great fitting basic sweater (crewneck or vneck)

is it worth getting a sweater from lets say APC or another brand in that price range?