Psych Rock Appreciation Thread

heBAY

More like the classic stuff...

King Crimson

Iron Butterfly

Power of Zeus

Rare Earth

Seriously though, between Power of Zeus and King Crimson's "In The Court..."...sober or not...it's great to spin that vinyl. King Crimson's "Earthbound" is my other favorite...a shittily recorded live record...but the cruddy sound quality somehow adds to the feel of the music.

"21st Century Schizoid Man" is still crazy to me. Rorschach's (for the HC heads) cover was very welcomed as well.

More Bands? Suggestions? Favorites? Choice Cuts? etc.etc.etc.etc.

tago mego is dope. although i wouldn't call can definitively psych rock since they utilize a lot of drone elements that's evident in tago mego. you can tell where black dice got their influence for beaches and canyons.

i always thought the black dice got their influence by ripping off the boredoms.

it's tago mago by the way. stone cold classic and no way it's not psychedelic, esp with butterfly and crimson being mooted thusly. personally don't rate mainliner, comets or endless boogie but that's just me. in fact i wouldn't trade one single note of either of fushitsusha's doubles on PSF for their entire back catalogs put together. not one!

black dice's definitely has influences from boredoms, but if you listen to tago mago (sorry for the earlier misspell) you'll definitely hear a lot of bits that black dice used in beaches and canyons.

i agree with matsu that can is krautrock. but whatever.

and yes, i can't believe i left out fushitsusha.

Acid Mothers Temple!

all 123981239u12381203810238912 versions of them

comets on fire (especially Field Recordings from the Sun period)

13th floor elevators

faust and can both came out during the late period of the original psychedelia movement, and incorporated elements as such. you can't talk about psychedelic music without including them.

Oh man, Acid Mothers Temple is supposedly coming to San Diego.

my brother saw some version of them back in 2004 in NY. said they were nutsssss live and there were about 30 people on the stage at any given point in the concert.

im still bummed i missed 77boadrum. thats sorta a cool tribute to psych-rock ala drumming rather than cohesive rock music.

really good psych record that came out several years ago that didn't seem to get much attention, but it should have, was "Din" by The Psychic Ills. I forget what record label it was released on, but it's really good. check it out if you can find it.

Dungen, from sweden, do an amazingly musical take on pysch-meets-folk. plenty of people on here seem to know them already, but i think they're highly underrated.

they're so hot and cold....

i don't know if they could be pidgeon holed to just "psych-rock" or whatever, cause they sound kraut/prog/new wave at times, but dungen's american label mates

the lansing-dreiden are really great. check them out, if you haven't already.

they're so hot and cold....

i don't know if they could be pidgeon holed to just "psych-rock" or whatever, cause they sound kraut/prog/new wave at times, but dungen's american label mates

the lansing-dreiden are really great. check them out, if you haven't already.

i'll check them out - dungen's output is sorta so-so at times, but the last two rcords, Ta Det Lugnt and Tio Bitar we're really great. the stuff before then was a little wishy-washy.

serena-maneesh, anyone?

i saw dungen play w/ endless boogie and they were just ok live. they didn't translate the record too well in a live setting.

do they bring an entire array of musical instruments including the triangle and recorder-flute with them when they tour? seems encumbersome.