Computer help/discussion thread

Kasper

i figure a thread like this would be usefull. and i want to rip some DVD and don't know any good programs to do that (if i could rip to a format that's playable on the PS3, that would be awesome) so i would appreciate any suggestions. also, fell free to discuss all subjects related to computer, software, etc

i thought dvd shrink only reduced the size of the dvd file so that you could burn it on a single DVD (if you don't have double-layer burner).

you can also rip in xvid or another compressed codec?

Though it probably doesn't help you much since I'm assuming that you're running windows, but Handbrake is the cleanest application of this sort (xvid ripping, etc.) though it is only available for OSX as far as I know.

i thought dvd shrink only reduced the size of the dvd file so that you could burn it on a single DVD (if you don't have double-layer burner).

oh sorry i misinterpreted what you were trying to do (selective reading). in that case no, you'd need a separate encoder, but i'm sure there are all-in-one programs that do that shit now, which of course is what you're asking for... heh.

doesnt your dvd burner come with roxio software?

if you do, you could burn an image of the disk to your hard drive, then burn that image to a blank dvd.

I think all modern dvd burners come with some sort of software that lets you do that.

Though it probably doesn't help you much since I'm assuming that you're running windows, but Handbrake is the cleanest application of this sort (xvid ripping, etc.) though it is only available for OSX as far as I know.

thanks, there's a windows version so i'll try it

• 2 weeks later...

SuFu,

Ok, this may be a really ignorant question, but I'm admittedly not as computer savvy as I’d like to be, so whatever. My question: Is there any website/program/etc. that I can use to surpass the software that blocks websites at my workplace? I was thinking there might be like a “proxy†website that you could go to and said website would act as a “cloak†of sorts for the prohibited website. Like, you go to X.com, log in, enter the web address that you really want to go to and X.com would run interference on the monitoring software. Have I been watching too many movies? Someone needs to invent this shit if it’s not already in existence. Intellectual-Property of the ignorant.

SuFu,

Ok, this may be a really ignorant question, but I'm admittedly not as computer savvy as I’d like to be, so whatever. My question: Is there any website/program/etc. that I can use to surpass the software that blocks websites at my workplace? I was thinking there might be like a “proxy†website that you could go to and said website would act as a “cloak†of sorts for the prohibited website. Like, you go to X.com, log in, enter the web address that you really want to go to and X.com would run interference on the monitoring software. Have I been watching too many movies? Someone needs to invent this shit if it’s not already in existence. Intellectual-Property of the ignorant.

SuFu,

it is called a proxy.

here are a few good ones

proxylizard.com

glassrobber.com

the second one you can sign up and they will email you a new proxy url they create every once in a while

where can I get the cheapest external HD? I want to reformat my computer but I want to back up like 80GB worth of music first..

check newegg.com ummm maybe tigerdirect.com, I forgot one site that had some sick ass deals for HD's got me a 250 gig for cheap

When ripping movies I use dvdshrink and imgburn.