Denim experts: DRY bootcut denim

ardeetee

Hey guys i'm looking for a pair of DRY jeans so that I can try and break them in myself, but i'm looking for something bootcut, lowrise, and hopefully not too expensive since this will be my first try. From reading through the posts here, the only options that are coming to mind are:

1.) Levi 517 Rigid Indigo ($35) - these don't seem to fit that well though since its pretty high-rise

2.) Nudie Bootcut Ola (how much are these?) - can't seem to get these in southern california?

Any other suggestions w/ prices or better yet, pics of either of these broken in?

Quote:

how come the bootcut ola isn't very popular? is it too flared?

--- Original message by ardeetee on Sep 5, 2005 11:57 PM

The Ola is a lot slimmer and isn't nearly as versatile in terms of fit as the Regular Ralf. I'm also pretty sure the Ola is unavailable in selvage denim.

Quote:

i've also read a bit about the Uniqlo's but with alot of these brands it doesn't seem like i'll be able to try them on. i usually like being able to do that to see if they actually fit well.

--- Original message by ardeetee on Sep 5, 2005 11:59 PM

Uniqlo's are a pretty trad cut. Not disimilar to a pair of Levi's LVC 47s (just a bit more room in the leg).

Go with the Nudie Regular Ralphs for dry bootcut denim. 5EP and Studio D'Artisan also do bootcuts, but they can be pricey.

All those 3 have very slight bootcuts - almost straight legs.

I've got a dry pair of Ola's and I like them a lot, they're not selvage. When wearing them they do have a distinctly bootcut shape, where as I think the Regular Ralphs are probably a bit more subtle so you might find yourself wearing them more often than you would if they were Ola's. Tom

look on mynudies.com in the marketplace section. i bought a pair of brand new greycasts off a guy in germany and with shipping and everything they came out to be about $90. he had a pair of slim jim dry and RR dry selvages he was trying to break in so he didn't have time for the greycasts.

i thought the ralf's were gonna be looser in the leg than they are on me. they fit like this on me http://www.mynudies.com/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_showpage&pic_id=217 -- mine 'fit' -- i didn't buy them tight or loose. the model on the nudie fit guide must be wearing really oversized ralfs. i don't have big legs by any means (5'10, 160lbs). i can't imagine getting into a pair of ola's comfortably

Quote:

how come the bootcut ola isn't very popular? is it too flared?

--- Original message by ardeetee on Sep 5, 2005 11:57 PM

i dont think it's flared much at all. the bootcut is proportionately about the same as a RR but the leg is thinner overall.

you can get them at Traffic (Beverly Center) in LA, they have the biggest Nudie selection in town (dry Ola is about $155). the other stores that carry Nudie havent had Olas in a while that i can remember, just RR and Slim Jim