Union Specials Collection @BiG

emaze

Please do not start calling up Blue in Green trying to buy theses. I just wanted to share some pictures of these. These were actually used in making Levis LVC line!

P1040925.jpg

This is the original Union Special that is used in Blue in Green

Now for their latest editions:

P1060252.jpg

P1060253.jpgP1060251.jpgP1060254.jpg

The Union Special 43200 / G are the absolute daddy of all hem chainstitch machines, I'm amazed to see a few together. Very revered in Japan and I love their stitch pattern signature.

Union Special 43200G chainstich pattern

hoh3.jpg

Alternative Union Special chainstich pattern

fc7.jpg

What a coup if Gordon has acquired these.

Yes, Gordon actually owns some of these bulldog Union Specials.

Yes, he intends to use it. So get all your jeans at BIG going forward.

Yes, his thumb is very grateful.

No, Levi's does not directly have anything to do with this deal. These particular units have also sewn numerous other respectable denim and will sew many more.

emaze, i always enjoy your posts, but this is something special. gordon always does virginia proud. i wouldn't buy from anywhere else.now if one machine breaks, he'll have a trusty backup. i love all of the various model's signature finishes on the hems. when i get my current projects rehemmed, i want the one with the contrasting-colored little knots in between the stitches. sufu, please dont dead this thread.

From an engineering perspective, these machines are incredible. As long as they are properly maintained, they could literally last forever. Motors may burn out and belts fray, but they are replaceable. The sewing machines themselves are so overbuilt, though- These Union Specials look like milling machines, but they're used to chain stitch! Love it.

My post above isn't very clear so might be confusing. What I'm referring to is the actual signature of the stitch, not the colour. If you look at the upper picture there is an almost angular, 45 degree uniform pitch to the thread pattern. On the lower pic the chainstich signature is more oval and loose looking.

I realise were in the land of minutiae, sorry, I really notice and appreciate these things.

• 9 months later...