state your beer, drinkers

Ok. Here is my day at the Vermont brewery event at Blind Tiger. Ended up trying 6 beers. Probably should have stuck around longer, but I'm broke and had other things I needed to get done later in the day, unfortunately.

The full draught list:

2w7hiqe.jpg

What I drank:

25yy4jk.jpg

Alchemist Petit Mutant (left)

This was simply amazing stuff.

Almost no head, beautiful red color. Smelt like cherries in a big oak barrel to me, ha. Taste has a nice sour punch up front but the sweeter cherry flavors come through almost immediately. Finishes with a bit of funk, more sour cherry taste, and dryness.

Awesome.

Alchemist Heady Topper (right)

As expected, a really great DIPA. More citrusy than I was expecting, but still very balanced. Nice herb flavors to ground the high notes of citrus – even get a little maltiness every once in a while, which is a great thing to be able to say about a DIPA, I think. Pine flavor comes on nicely after each sip.

Satisfying hoppiness I was craving, but didn't feel at all overwhelmed or that it had blown my palate in any way.

I've only had Pliny the Elder once, but I would definitely put this up there with it.

16748xi.jpg

Hill Farmstead Abner (left)

In my little notebook I wrote: "smells like sticking your face in a grapefruit."

Thin head that dissolves quickly.

Taste is heavy on the citrus, as well. Lots of pine. Citrus and Pine. Pine and Citrus. Some sugary sweetness creeps through as it warmed up a bit, along with a hint of alcohol warmth.

A bit one-noted, but I still enjoyed it. I don't have a problem with a lot of citrus, though (particularly grapefruit...I like SKA Modus Hoperandi, for example).

Hill Farmstead Art (right)

Nice fluffy white head with some good lacing.

Plenty of funk in the aroma, but more toned down in the taste. Still some of the nice brett flavor, but definitely under lots of herbal hoppiness with some lemon flavor, as well. Oak from the barrel aging and all the herbiness kind of make this remind me of a kitchen pantry (in a good way) as it warms up.

A great Saison. Could have gone for a bit more funk, but the way the aging seemed to bring out the herb-notes more than made up for it.

258mcye.jpg

Lawson's Finest Double Sunshine (left)

Moderate amount of head that stuck around for a while and laced really nicely.

Smell is very floral and bright. The descriptor on the bar's flyer says "you might think you've captured a blast of summer sun in your glass," which seems pretty accurate.

Flavor is true to the smell. Very "meadowy" but also really superbly balanced. Nothing is overpowering at all, and the herbal, floral, piney and citrus flavors from the hops meld together into a really refreshing beer. No alcohol flavor to speak of at all. Wish I could describe this better, but it was just exceedingly pleasant overall (to the point of being noteworthy).

Could definitely drink quite a bit of this.

Alchemist Petit Mutant (right)

Did I mention that I really, really loved this beer?

Also got a chance to try a sip of the Lawson's Finest Fayston Maple Imperial Stout:

Pours dark black with a half-inch or so of thick, creamy head. Smells intensely of maple syrup. Chocolate behind that, but mostly maple.

From my one sip, I got intense maple syrup flavor balanced by some bittersweet chocolate and roasty flavors. Nice and thick mouthfeel. Would have liked to try it as it warmed up some. This is definitely a winter beer.

Hard to say based on one sip, but I'd enjoy it more with slightly less of the maple overload. And I can always go for a little hop, even in an imperial stout (a la Great Divide's Yeti).

All-in-all it was a nice afternoon with some spectacular beer. Glad I got to go out and glad they were pouring small glasses so that I could try more than I was expecting.

And if someone wants to find me a keg of Petit Mutant, that would be great.

I got there early (at like 2:45 when it didn't actually "start" until 3), so it wasn't crowded at all.

Definitely filled up gradually, though.

They posted on their facebook that they had some beer left, but "very little," so I'm assuming it was a good crowd but nothing too crazy.

Got a box of beer today, then went to a Magic Hat tasting (haven't had Magic Hat in years.. yeah, every beer they make still sucks). The place having the tasting had some taps though, so I brought a 32oz and 64oz growler.. Nugget Nectar kicked when they were filling my 64oz so they gave me the half filled growler for free.. Flower Power in the 32oz.

dscn2042o.jpg

2 Turtle Doves, 3x Victory Wild Devil (HopDevil w/ brett), 2010 Allagash Odyssey, growlers, 2009 Deschutes The Abyss

Friend was over here so we drank the fresh Flower Power..

dscn2045n.jpg

damn shufon, you seem to trade frequently. is that the package from the guy on BA? i was amazed whole foods did growler fills as they don't do it in CA or at least SD. first time i saw it was in Portland and they were filling stone oaked arrogant.

also shufon..looks like they finally updated the tracking...

^yup, noticed it's in Syracuse. Yeah, I trade a lot, haha, it kinda became routine after a few trades to just seek out more and more beers.. that's the box from the idiot that wouldn't ship forever...

Yours will be here tomorrow, one more on Monday, and I'm working on 2 more at the moment :D

^Yup helped a lot.. was talking to another homebrewer earlier as well and he was advising against the wheat entirely as well. That malt bill was straight from the Super Friends IPA that Ithaca did which I loved. It was also 100% Citra. Anyway, I'm tweaking a little bit but I haven't really figured out the exact malt bill yet because, as you said to maybe add the 20L for a little more balance, I'm not really trying to get balance here.. definitely just going for a hop/citrus bomb.

Anyway, onto the hops.. yeah, after hearing both his and your opinion about the Simcoe, I'm going to use a different bittering hops early on, and not nearly as much. Right now the hop schedule is looking more like this:

60mins - Tomahawk - 2oz

45mins - Tomahawk - 1oz

30mins - Centennial - 3oz

25mins - Citra - 1oz

15mins - Citra - 2oz

5mins - Citra - 1oz

Dry hop 1 - Citra 2oz @ 1wk

Dry hop 2 - Citra 2oz @ 2wk

Aside from malts/hops, what's your opinion of dry yeast vs liquid yeast? Dry yeast seems so much easier, but I'm reading mixed things on how much it actually affects the taste as compared to using liquid yeast.

I like liquid yeast generally Safale US-05 is pretty good but it tastes a little weird kinda like canned peaches. For that beer, I'd use WLP-001 or wyeast 1056. American Ale yeast II from wyeast would be fine as well

The one WH in PA that sells beer has the cheapest growler fills around some cheaper than at the breweries that make the beer.

@youkinorn that looked awesome but damn everything was so pricey sand the goddamn glassware sucked. those ipa & dipa should've been in tulips!

@youkinorn that looked awesome but damn everything was so pricey sand the goddamn glassware sucked. those ipa & dipa should've been in tulips!

I should have mentioned that those were small pours and they were $4 each, not the price on the board.

Glassware sucked because they were the "sample" size. The place generally serves in appropriate glasses. I just had to make the choice between glassware and trying more beers –*wasn't a hard decision for me.

Yeah those beers look great but I would have cried if I had to shell out 7.50 for that small of a pour

I envy the NY growler rules, only can get fills at the brewery or pre-filled growlers in stores (of which the selection is minimal)

edit: speaking of NY growler fills, looks like WFM Bowery has Hill Farmstead on tap 16$ for a 64 oz growler

looks like tasters to me. the tulip glasses for IPAs and DIPAs are debatable. most breweries/pubs/bars usually do tulips if it's above 8% abv or if they are offering a class.

edit: youkinorn beat me to it.

Yeah those beers look great but I would have cried if I had to shell out 7.50 for that small of a pour

I envy the NY growler rules, only can get fills at the brewery or pre-filled growlers in stores (of which the selection is minimal)

edit: speaking of NY growler fills, looks like WFM Bowery has Hill Farmstead on tap 16$ for a 64 oz growler

I thought growler fills were same across the board. can only use the breweries growler and if it states a specific beer from the brewery, it can only

be filled with that beer.

just chiming in to say that the wheat beer I made with my friend turned out pretty well. we boiled some orange peels in the wort and there's a slight citrus taste. stoked to share it with friends.

also, picked up some arrogant bastard today, gonna grill out later. happy friday sufu

I just cracked open a bottle of Stone Juxtaposition that was in my fridge for at least 3 years... Stones only lager. Black Lager at 10%.

Very sweet, and sits high on the tongue (tangy). You can taste a bit of the alcohol. Almost sweet dark cherry or prune.

Not sure it's my style, but I had to open one up. I have one more in there, but I don't think I'll be drinking it anytime soon.

^Nice one man.. introduced a bunch of chem phd friends to sour beer tonight.. we bought 5 Lindeman's Cuvee Rene (went through 3 of them by myself, hah :D ). All of it was bottled in April 2006, good stuff.. was really surprised that Lindeman's can actually make a good beer.

0226010011.jpg

Also tried some Three Heads stuff on tap.. Java Sutra Coffee Porter and Skunk Black IPA.. the black IPA was interesting but nothing amazing, not sure if their beer is worth the hype.. also my friend put on Horseheads IPA while we were at his bar.. I ordered the first two pints.. tiny local brewer, nice IPA.. nothing mindblowing but always nice to have really fresh hoppy beer.

I've tried a few black IPAs and just don't like the style. not much hop flavor for me as it seems more balanced around the malt complex. I know Mikkeller is making a black coffee IPA but that just sounds like something I'd skip in general, though they do a really great job at making some west coast styled IPAs.

^They putting on a different one each day or having the whole list on tap for a month?? Gonna stop by there and try quite a few of those when I'm in town if they still have them.

Oh, FedEx just dropped off a nice package :rolleyes:

dscn2055l.jpg

Big thanks to ren :D

edit: was looking at that list more.. 2007 Curieux is probably delicious.. I've had 2009 and 2010 so far, both awesome beers but needed to age longer. Also hope I get to try the cask Espresso Yeti, Smuttynose 08 Winter w/ brett, Dominique, and Winter Wood. Rose de Gambrinus on tap would be nice as well.

glad those beers made it there safely.. did it look like the inspected the package?

also...

5480448878_ae8e497131.jpg

this was really enjoyable as it came pretty close to a west coast IPA in terms of malt/hop flavor.

5479847893_7c1c9a120a.jpg

a pure hoppiness on friday is always a good thing.

5480449046_1c38679304.jpg

looks like i got something in the mail too... huge thanks Shufon! looks like this trade will keep me busy for a few weeks.

Drink those Nugget Nectars first as they're the freshest of the bunch.. Three Heads bottles are only about 5 weeks old as well...

Also maybe wanna try that Flower Power to see how it is although I think it's ~6-8 weeks old. Hopefully it's better than the last one you had.

Anyway, enjoy it all :D

edit: oh and I don't think they inspected the box at all ren.