Flatshare in OSLO

Guest Fulci

Thanks!

How much is it in Bergen?

I loved bergen too, and even though is smaller, it looked much more organized and clean than Oslo. I think I liked Bergen more than Oslo. Even people seemed more beautiful there.

And it has all these small old neighbourghoods that are so delightfull with all their small wooden houses all painted up. I don't know the name of it but the one around the law school, and another in the middle of the city with lots of hair dressers and cafes...

Well, anyway, thanks for the reply.

Bergen is around the same, perhaps a bit cheaper.. I am guessing if you are thinking of living in a room and you share the other facilities with other people and in the center of the city I am guessing around 3000 - 4500 or something like that. I don't really travel to oslo very much but I def think bergen is a much nicer city than oslo aestethically(sp?) but for shopping, it's not very good. but nightlife is pretty good actually.

I think the places you are talking about is 'marken' (the one with all the hairdressers), other nice places are nordnes. those kind of houses are all around though.. I dont know what you are into as an architecture but I think it's pretty strict in bergen when it comes to new buildings/styles.

Yeah, it Marken I was talking about. The other one I don't know the name but I guess those were pretty much everywhere.

I did notice there wasn't many new stuff in Bergen, architecture wise but I can live with that... once I pass the rain thing. How can you stand so much rain?

actually I am not a bergen local so I have some problems with the rain from time to time as well hah! But I am from the west coast as well and alot of the places from the west coast have almost as much rain as bergen too so I was kind of used to it when I moved there but yeah..definietley more than average amount of water..

Another great aera is sandviken in the summer.. Which is above the center of the city and has a good amount of older wooden styled houses.. Great place. If you are set on going to Norway I'll recommend Bergen. Some may say Oslo is a better city and I am not going to argue about that but personally I like Bergen better.. and yeah, the music scene and the selection is pretty good as well. Let me know if you want me to check out anything for you. I'll try and look around for arcitecture offices as well..

Thanks 123ok! I guess the best thing I shoud do is to go there show my protfolio door to door. But I have to see if the studio if it's interesting first. I'm still looking around for now. I'm also sending mails to Berlin, wich is a pretty cool city to be in, and it's probably the least expensive city to live besides Portugal.

Anyway, Bergen is more beautiful, I did prefered Bergen, but I guess Oslo is much more cosmopolitan, looks more active culturally and I guess is where all the studios and everything else is.

By the way, how cold is it Bergen right now? And how many hours of sun do you get a day?

The thing with the prices is that, as I understood, everything is really expensive, but the wages are high enough for that. Unlike Berlin, where it's rather cheap but you're never really well paid. As I stated before in another thread, a student in the 3rd grade working earns around €4000... That's more than average for Norway, even with supermarkets costing around 3 times more than any other place in Europe outside Scandinavia. But rents are not extremely pricey, like London, Paris and Copenhaghen, where you pay more per week for a bedroom than you pay for a month for a whole flat in Berlin or Portugal or even Oslo. Plus, the city is not very big, so you can ride a bike or walk to almost everywhere, so you don't even spend any money on transport. Here, I drive a car to everywhere, even for less than 1km sometimes. It's the Portuguese way. You can't afford a car but you have to have the best one!

Anyway, you can't ride bikes in here. The driving laws are against us (I do commute on a bike sometimes), and if I get run over a car, I even have to pay for it's paint job, and clean all the blood from the wheels. Were so medieval. That's why I want to get away from this place. Even though the weather is great and a beer costs €1.00 and you can have a meal for €5.00. It's around 16º right now, and we have sun up until 5:00PM in November, and it has only rained twice this month.

Thanks 123ok! I guess the best thing I shoud do is to go there show my protfolio door to door. But I have to see if the studio if it's interesting first. I'm still looking around for now. I'm also sending mails to Berlin, wich is a pretty cool city to be in, and it's probably the least expensive city to live besides Portugal.

Anyway, Bergen is more beautiful, I did prefered Bergen, but I guess Oslo is much more cosmopolitan, looks more active culturally and I guess is where all the studios and everything else is.

By the way, how cold is it Bergen right now? And how many hours of sun do you get a day?

From the 10 days long-range weather forecast ( http://full.storm.no/tv2ver/vaer.aspx?utmx=298799&utmy=6699620&meter=0&sted=bergen ) it's ranging from -6 to 7 celcius. I think we have sun (if there is any sun that is), atleast daylight from around 1000 to 1500 these days. So pretty short hours with daylight at the winter and vice versa in the summer days.

Like you mention, the city core is so centered and basically everything is within walking distance.

I have no idea what studios pay for an internship but I think you should be able to get a room for around 3000NOK within the city core.

-6º? So is it snowing there? We have no snow here which is a bit sad. It only snows every 30 years or something. Last time was back in 1986... It was so beautiful! But then again, at 6 years old, everything looks beautiful...

But +7º is not that bad. Plus, with all the heaters outside de cafes, that must be really charming. Another thing I loved there was the blankets on the chairs outside the cafes. Plus, I'm a non-smoker for 3 years, so the non-smocking environment is a plus.