Brand to watch: Better Chemistry

futureofstyle

Quote:

PM me too I suppose, though I'm a bit leery after seeing so many anti-AA posts...

--- Original message by Ziddy on Aug 22, 2005 06:17 PM

Ziddy,

I would not base my opinion on other people's taste in tee blanks.. You can't please everyone with one particular brand or style of anything because everyone is differnt.

I will say that American Apparel has really made a mark in the tee game internationally in such a short period of time based on making good product.

I personally dont have a prefferance for tee blanks I have many tee's printed on many blanks so its no big deal, I only go off of design.

Heres an article off of CNN's archive:

American Apparel

"We manufacture in the United States not because we are crazy flag fanatics but because it is the most vibrant T-shirt market in the world and therefore the most efficient place to manufacture our T-shirts." That's part of the mission statement of Los Angeles-based American Apparel which, with 1,700 employees, boasts one of the nation's largest apparel factories. Its production process--from design to cutting to sewing--takes place in the firm's downtown Los Angeles plant. Founder Dov Charney says his main goal is profitability, and the ability to brand his clothing American made is merely a side benefit. "I can cut on Monday, sew Tuesday through Thursday, and ship on Friday," he says. "If I used offshore labor, that would take me 90 days."

Whatever the motivation, the T-shirts are hot. Last year, the firm grossed $80 million, double its 2002 sales. The bulk of its sales are to wholesalers who imprint the shirts with their own designs, then resell them. This year, with hip new stores in Manhattan and Los Angeles and others scheduled to open in Berlin, London, and Miami, Charney expects sales to double. One recent weekday, throngs of young people roamed a Manhattan store fingering the cool, minimalist designs like the "Baby Rib Basic," a short-sleeved women's classic that has sold millions.

American Apparel's factory workers average $12.50 an hour. Toss in a host of other perks--free English classes, on-staff masseuses, subsidized lunches--and it's clear why the firm has a 1,000-person waiting list for employment. The Montreal-born Charney says he could save a few pennies by offshoring production. But the zeitgeist wouldn't be the same: "Young girls making 25 cents an hour to sew T-shirts is not sexy," he says. In fact, says Charney, if he ever does open plants in Asia, it would be to serve local markets, and he vows to pay U.S. wages."We're selling much more than 'Made in the U.S.A.,'" he says. "We're selling the American dream."

Hi i'm just your average newbie chillin on supertalk!

Edited by futureofstyle on Aug 22, 2005 at 06:45 PM

i actually like aa tee's.

i was wearing one of my favorite tee's the other day (nothing special about the print - just the cut/feel), and checked the label to find it was an AA. didn't even realize it.

the prints are nice.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

How much will these shrink? I just got mine, and I think that it seems a little big, yet the same size (medium) AA tee I got from a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert fits better. I like me tee's to be pretty tight around my body, but maybe these tees aren't made like that. I'm afraid a small might be a problem because it fits my neck properly already. However, the shoulders seem like they are just short of being too wide.

They aren't girls jeans. I swear.

• 1 month later...

Ok finally got in a new shipment of Better Chemistry tee's..

I know a grip of you were interested so check it out..

[url=" http://www.futureofstyle.com/better-chemistry-m-39.html"] <a href="http://www.futureofstyle.com/better-chemistry-m-39.html" target="_blank">http://www.futureofstyle.com/better-chemistry-m-39.html</a>

Just chillin on supertalk!!!

Edited by futureofstyle on Oct 10, 2005 at 03:35 PM

Edited by futureofstyle on Oct 10, 2005 at 03:36 PM