Legal ramifications of downloaded music/movies/misc. pirate material

homi29

I have a friend so paranoid about getting sued/fined/imprisioned that he's ceased downloading all music

personally i still download alot of music , movies and tv shows ,though not nearly as much as i used to

just wondering about the legal ramifications of this?

as far as i know it's not illegal in Canada, and the record labels can't sue, but uploading may be a different matter

any superlawyers want to clear his up

I have a friend so paranoid about getting sued/fined/imprisioned that he's ceased downloading all music

personally i still download alot of music , movies and tv shows ,though not nearly as much as i used to

just wondering about the legal ramifications of this?

as far as i know it's not illegal in Canada, and the record labels can't sue, but uploading may be a different matter

any superlawyers want to clear his up

This lady was sued and has to pay $222,000 for downloading 24 songs.

hmm crazy

as far as i know theres been nothing of the sort in Canada

i thought the industry would be over the lawsuit technique considering it hasnt been effective at curbing downloading , that being said however... i think the risk is reasonable considering the small likelihood that you would be the one being sued

Not quite, that lady got busted for uploading songs. Like other people have said in this thread already, there's a big difference between the two legally.

Moral of the story: don't use Kazaa.

whatever...articles says "...accused Thomas of downloading the songs without permission and offering them online through a Kazaa file-sharing account". She downloaded them and they were stored on her computer in her sharing-folder.

Guest supernoob
whatever...articles says "...accused Thomas of downloading the songs without permission and offering them online through a Kazaa file-sharing account". She downloaded them and they were stored on her computer in her sharing-folder.
DISTRIBUTION AND USE R 2 DIFF THINGS

K SO IF U SALIN FAKE CDS ON STREET DO U GET SAME PUNISHMENT AS GUY WHO BUY IT???

ANSWER IS GENERALLY NO, UNLESS SUMTHIN WEIRD GOIN ON.

IMPORTANT TO QUESTION ALLSO IS DAT MAJOR POINT IN RIAA IS THT INTERNET IS BIGGER PLACE, SO ONE PERSON CAN SHARE SONGS TO LARGER MARKETPLACE, EVEN THO NO CASH IS INVOLVED THEY CONSIDER TO B PIRACY.

HONESTLY THERE IS LITTLE LAW CNOCERNIN ANY OF THIS, ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE IN AN AMBIGUOUS SPACE. BUT I CAN TELL U THAT DOWNLOADIN STUFF WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM WHOMEVER OWNS RIGHTS IS ILLEGAL, BUT U PROLLY WON'T GET PROSECUTED.

ALSO JUST FYI, IF U R A STUDENT U CAN DOWNLOAD MUSIC FOR FREE, LEGALLY, FROM WWW.RUCKUS.COM IF UR ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER.

Guest supernoob

The hard drive in question was not presented at trial by either party, though Thomas used her new one to show the jury how fast it copies songs from CDs. That was an effort to counter an industry witness's assertion that the songs on the old drive got their too fast to have come from CDs she owned - and therefore must have been downloaded illegally.

DIS QUOTE CUM FROM ARTICLE.

I FIND XTREMELY FUNNIE CUZ CD->DRIVE TRANSFER RATE IS WAAAAAAY FASTER THAN MOST INTERNET TRANSFER RATE EVR. ON ORDER OF MEBIBYTE PER SECOND RATHER THAN MEGABITS PER SECOND