New short-run selvage supplier

Paul T

I was walking down Berwick St, once London's best street for record stores (but no more) when I noticed a new outlet of the Cloth House, a fabric store, with a terrific selection of ticking, hickory stripe, gingham and other traditional fabrics in its window.

It's a cool little store, and though I only had a quick look as , I saw at least two styles of selvage denim, both of which looked great; one is a nice dark bluey-grey much like the fabric from Cone. I'll post prices later. Although it's not hard to find places that sell rolls of denim, they look to be a great source for short runs.

Next week I'll pop in and see if I can talk them into stocking any Kurabo or other fabrics, and find out their prices.

If I can get hold of any Kurabo material, I have plans...

http://www.clothhouse.com/

Update:

they have 6 different selvage denims, all the same price at £12 ($24 approx) per meter.

The shop were a bit sniffy about where the denim comes from, seemed to think it was vital strategic information. I'll email them and see if their buyer responds. I would guess most of the denim I saw is Japanese, some of it dark in colour like typical LVC (nearly all of them had a red selvage stripe) and I would guess all of it is synthetic indigo. To their knowledge it isn't sanforized.

• 3 weeks later...
email.

though I dont expect them to take some random email seriously either.

Im guessing they get many of those. Unless you come to their head office personally with a brief case full of yen and ready to live and work with them, it would be hard for an individual to work directly with any Japanese denim mills.

I feel the need to rant here but I'm going bite my fingers...