Sewing Machine

broneck

i searched for this and the "sewing" thread that came up made my brain hurt, so here goes...looking to dive into making some of my own clothes (mostly starting with simple accessories and modifications) and of course, one of the steps in that direction is to actaully own a sewing machine. Should I be looking mechanical or computerized? Start at a really low end and then buy high later, or dive in somewhere near the middle and stick with that for a while. Any thoughts and suggestions, as well as particular brands and models, are appreciated greatly.

Personally I think if you have the money, invest in an industrial machine. You can generally get good deals on ebay or craigslist. My personal favorite are the juki ddl 8700. The difference is they're much faster, stronger. Its a little hard to get used to at first but after some solid practice just sewing back and forth you can stitch straight lines with ease and crank shit out much faster. I got mine for around 700.00 (including table)

As for home sewing machines, don't bother with computerized fancy shit. Most of the time they're a waste and generally geared toward grandmas making fancy pillow cases. All you need is a solid machine that does foward and backstitches and is smooth. My personal favorite home machine are Janomes. they're smooth, quiet and thread really easy. I have a Janome 4618LE that I got off ebay for about 200.00.

If you want to do t-shirts/knits (hoodies..etc) or finish seams, look into getting a serger/marrow machine. I have a brother 1034D that's discountinued but still solid. Again, you can get it dirt cheap off ebay. I personally think industrial marrows are a bit overkill and unneccasry.

You also want a really good iron to press your seams and garments. I use a rowenta DG5030, its the one we used at parsons. It's heavy so you don't have to press hard, has a base that you fill with water (that is also heat proof so you can set the iron on it and leave it on) and a professional grade steam shot. Only iron you'll ever need.

And while you're at it, go get yourself "The readers digest's complete guide to sewing". the only sewing reference book you'll need.

Good luck

I would personally vote against an industrial machine to start off. Too big, too fast and too loud for what you want to do. The Kenmore machine and Sears is a real trucker and a very good one to start out with...

If you will be doing quite a few knits I would save up for a nice serger. Babylock is our favorite. It runs about $900 on eBay...

woooowww. that would explain the pricetag! I guess i could research this question, but i am lazy. I want to go to fit in nyc. Will i be needing a sewing machine or would they supply me with one? also, if i need one, what kind?

At Parsons they do not provide you with a machine and I'd imagine FIT is the same way.And no, a free machine is a good machine. Don't worry too much about the button pad (it just makes it look complex). Your main concern should be making sure you thread tension is correct, your need spacing is right, and that you're using the correct stitch (straight stitch is what you'll mostly be using)

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone know of a online guide to doing basic tapering of shirts and if a cheap dept store machine would be suitable for this? i have so many nice shirts that are just too big on the torso now that ive lost weight and it would cost 15 bucks a shirt which would really add up after a few shirts.

most sewing machines will sew through most fabric (tshirt, thin wool, etc). I used a $150 sewing machine i bought from Target to make a pair of jeans out of 12 oz denim. now im working with 14-16 oz stuff and my sewing machine literally exploded because it didnt have enough power to sew through the denim. If you're looking to make clothes that are heavier (jeans, jackets, etc) I suggest going with an industrial, specifically a Juki machine. Juki machines ar extremely reliable and will sew through basically anything. you can easily find one on cragislist or ebay anywhere between 500 to 1000. hardest part is transporting the thing cuz it comes with a table and the machine itself is heavy as fuck with a motor attached.

At Parsons they do not provide you with a machine and I'd imagine FIT is the same way.

as in they do not have machines at the school or they do not provide you with machines for home use? Its gotta be the latter rather than the former otherwise thats just ridiculous.

• 1 year later...
Guest cottonclub

Hi guys,

I'd like to sell my brown Union Special 43200G bottom leg hem sewing machine head. It comes with the air compressor unit. You can buy this to do bottom leg hemming for charging $15 US dollars to start a small home business. If you're interested in it, please be free to contact me by:[email protected]

By the way,I'm located in Taipei,Taiwan.

Thanks!