Working at American Apparel

naturaljax

anyone done it? or modeled for them? They seem like they'd be an alright place to work, and probably to meet cool people, but I'm not sure. I just need a job for while I'm at college, so might as well apply there if it's a cool place to work, but I know some places can be the job from hell in disguise (i.e. Costco). So?

I "worked" at the one in royal oak (michigan), when I still lived over there. I was kind of payed under the table because I was a minor- and I only got the job because my aunt was the manager, but it was a fucking blast and I already knew everyone that worked there. All I did was hang up tee shirts and recommend sizes to disgustingly attractive women.

Fucking Phife Dawg and Muhammad came through there last summer, amongst a shit load of extremely flamboyant and interesting homosexuals and crossdressers (royal oak is known for it's high gay population).

chea, if you live by a store definitely do it.

sounds like you had a really good experience with it Keagan, that's tight.

shit I'd trip balls if Phife Diggy came into my store haha

did you have to actually go through the application process? like submit three pictures of yourself displaying your "personal style and how you present yourself" or some bullshit?

God I can't believe I'm applying at such a superficial store ;)

anyone done it? or modeled for them? They seem like they'd be an alright place to work, and probably to meet cool people, but I'm not sure. I just need a job for while I'm at college, so might as well apply there if it's a cool place to work, but I know some places can be the job from hell in disguise (i.e. Costco). So?

I know someone working at the Broadway one and she says its fun and theres perks. Like she got a few free passes to SIFF. Cant be too bad. Try the downtown one since they just opened. Its tons of fun watching downtown shopping people walk in and walk out looking confused.

i remember seeing (and skimming through) an article about how the owner of american apparel is really sleazy and makes the models have sex with him. but i dont think it applies to retail jobs

unless there are some recent articles i haven't read, that's quite an exaggeration.

not really an exaggeration... he doesnt -make- them fuck him, but

dov has fucked plenty of the models in the ads, and has fucked plenty of the female employees. not just in LA. he's readily admitted to it in plenty of interviews.

I don't even really have the AA look on a day to day basis, on certain days I do, on certain days I don't, but I mean it wouldn't kill me to buy more of their clothes to be able to work there, shit.

And just to stay on topic let me say I would beat the cakes of many an American Apparel female model

I've heard mostly negative things about being employed there. Like folding endless amounts of t shirts and not getting paid very much to do it. I'm not really sure why one would want to work there.

This would be called, retail.

I've also read the interviews in which he admits to sleeping with models/employees. Who wouldn't, they got some supple young ass in those joints!

On a serious note though, how the hell can they legally ask for pictures of people as part of the application process?

Whats the discount like?

I cant imagine working at one for anything except money and to look at the babes. But I find their clothing is getting really ugly and theres an unbelievable amount of 15 year old girls that buy things in there and look like complete fucking morons.

This would be called, retail.

I've also read the interviews in which he admits to sleeping with models/employees. Who wouldn't, they got some supple young ass in those joints!

On a serious note though, how the hell can they legally ask for pictures of people as part of the application process?

haha I wondered the same thing. I think they disguise the fact that they're wondering whether or not you're 'hot' enough to work at the store by saying they want to see how you 'present yourself and your personal style'

fuckin' bullshit, but hey.

not really an exaggeration... he doesnt -make- them fuck him, but

dov has fucked plenty of the models in the ads, and has fucked plenty of the female employees. not just in LA. he's readily admitted to it in plenty of interviews.

i would consider that an exaggeration. consentual sex btw 2 ppl and "making" someone have sex with you are two entirely different things.

if you were single and surrounded by beautiful girls, why wouldn't you want to have sex with them? i understand the point about being professional and separating business with pleasure, but if both parties are in agreement then who's to say what they're doing is wrong?

i remember seeing (and skimming through) an article about how the owner of american apparel is really sleazy and makes the models have sex with him. but i dont think it applies to retail jobs

interesting

i have a friend whose friend modeled for aa

dark-haired russian girl often seen on the side of facebook pages

sounds like you had a really good experience with it Keagan, that's tight.

shit I'd trip balls if Phife Diggy came into my store haha

did you have to actually go through the application process? like submit three pictures of yourself displaying your "personal style and how you present yourself" or some bullshit?

God I can't believe I'm applying at such a superficial store ;)

Nah, my aunt got me the job, I just filled out an application at the store. And yeah Phife was fucking awesome, muhammad was super quiet. They signed a few shirts, and Phife "battled" my friend Danny twas tighttttttt.

I should mention though that you HAVE to wear the clothes while you're working there. Wasn't a big deal for me because I wear a lot of their stuff already, but now that they have the slim slack out- my friend that still works there has been saying you have to wear those too, which would kind of suck.

I should mention though that you HAVE to wear the clothes while you're working there. Wasn't a big deal for me because I wear a lot of their stuff already, but now that they have the slim slack out- my friend that still works there has been saying you have to wear those too, which would kind of suck.

Okay, I just had to chime in after reading this, but this is totally false, unless they want a lawsuit on thier hands. Abercrombie and other retailers who once told employees they 'must' wear thier clothing also dealt with the same thing.

They cannot 'make' you wear thier clothing. They may encourage you to 'look the part' but that is the furthest they can go.

Its tons of fun watching downtown shopping people walk in and walk out looking confused.

I applied for a manager position at the one in Nashville just to see if they would call me. Being on Broadway right in the heart of the country music/tourist scene brings a lot of confused people in. A lot of people take 2 steps in and walk right out.