Yoyos, Yoyos, and Yoyos...

kiya

Hella yo-yo wear.

2 1/2 months of hard use, 4 hours a night, over pavement.

Counterweight play only.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1230/1229296172_1a98933bdb.jpg

Edited to add: Why is it just giving me a link to the image, and not the actual image?

Help me get one of your sexy 6a yoyos pleeeeeeeease. I tried one at Zeitgest that shit was heavenly...

Fixed it for you.

1229296172_1a98933bdb.jpg

got an old variflex from my childhood. "hi tech ball bearing, variable string gap"

is this worth anything to anyone? i just want to find it a decent home.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I totally designed that thing. Variflex got all their stuff from Team Losi....which was my first job designing yo-yos and dealing with the marketing end of things.

That's rad.

Stick it in your pocket, and the next time your at the mall or something, pull it out and do a trick. If a kid points at you, give him the yo-yo. You'll totally make his day.

2A is the new 1A.

I've been practicing like back when i started 8 years ago.

Watch out Shinji.

like most of the people who open this thread i used to yoyo back in the day and hearing about it now is very nastalgic and makes me want to buy a yoyo again. but what's the difference between the "A"? 1A 2A 3A... etc

also good cheap yoyo and where can i get it in tokyo??

like most of the people who open this thread i used to yoyo back in the day and hearing about it now is very nastalgic and makes me want to buy a yoyo again. but what's the difference between the "A"? 1A 2A 3A... etc

also good cheap yoyo and where can i get it in tokyo??

Difference between the A's is here.

In Tokyo, you can either hit Kiddyland for a pretty decent selection, or talk to someone at Spin Gear about swinging by to pick something up. E-mailing Taka at Spin Gear would probably be your best bet.

I found my old yo-yo collection today...including my favourites...the Russell Coca-Cola ones. The Super is a genuine original. The Galaxy and Proffessional are mid-90's repros. They do loops better than any other yo-yo ive ever used!

yoyos.jpg

Russells are great yo-yos. Originally meant to be just cheap promotional items, they play remarkably well if you are patient enough to work 'em.

I'm not sure what you mean by "repros" though...they are all still made by the Russell family under the original company banner. I used to have some of the all-wood Russells from the 50s but I sold them off to some other collectors. They were pretty cool, but took a lot of work to get playing properly.

If any of you kids ever find me in a bar one of these days, remind me to tell you how to set up old-skool wooden yo-yos, and about the knife fights that 1950s yo-yo demonstrators used to get into. I have to tell you in person....you see, no one would ever believe it on the internet. ;)

unklesteve...I had been told that the Super I had was circa 1960. It has a wooden dowel centre that has been replaced a couple of times. I had this given to me when I saw it in a garage sale (in amongst junk) and the old timer was all too happy to give me its' story.

The other two are both still made by Russell but are re-issuses of the same yo-yos made in the 60's and 70's. They are lighter and have a metal axle, and made overseas instead of USA.

Hrm.

All Russells have wooden axles, and always have. There is a rivet that goes through the center of the wood axle to hold the two halves together.

Also, it wasn't until recently that the wooden axles were made replaceable, when Russell started making take-apart yo-yos. Since they are riveted together, you cannot take the old ones apart. Well, you can....but just once.

As for that Super being from the '60s...that dude lied to you. :( I'm almost positive all three of those are from the same manufacturing time period, which is early '90s.

And Russells haven't been made in the US, ever....they originally started off as the international branch of Duncan, and then split into a separate company. They've always been made overseas, since they would build production in the market they were doing the campaigns for. Cheaper than shipping yo-yos in.