B Movies Appreciation Thread

broneck

That "top 5 worst scenes ever" vid got me thinking about my favourite old shitty movies.

Any huge fans out there? There's the obvious classics that typefy b-movie trash in every genre, and the must sees like Evil Dead, Plan 9 from Outer Space, and streams of Godzilla movies...

this is a killer site for getting acquainted with the so-atrociously-bad-they're-amazing flicks that are ripe for the watching

http://badmovies.org/

Manos: the Hands of Fate.

damn, one of my best friends in college was a film major so we always watched a bunch of stuff i wouldnt have picked on my own. this shit was so horrible, i love the begining scene thats like 5 minutes of landscape passing by with no dialog and no reason behind it.

My dad is a shitty old film / MST3K film buff. I've actually met Joel and Mike through him since he's done some work for MST3K and has helped Joel with some promo art / books.

I saw Manos in it's pure, unadulterated state the first time. It makes the MST3K version 200% more hilarious, but was easily one of the worst experiences of my life.

All those old kungfu flicks in english dub were the bomb.

Shaw brothers have some awesome movies. There's also a "Dirty Ho" movie about a sneaky kung fu master named Ho, best title ever. I'm not sure who released that though. I'm a big fan of Master of the flying guillotine and appreciate some of Takashi Miike movies. Most film noirs can also be considered B-movies and some of them are amazing. Sames goes from most of Welles releases.

Dirty Ho is released by Shaw, starring no other than Gordon Liu. Legendary Weapons of China is another good one.

For me it was all about the 5 Poison clan. I love the awkward camera angles and bad dubbing, always gotten a laugh out of it.

36 chambers of shaolin and One-armed swordsman (the classic one, there are like 500 variations on the crippled fighter theme) are excellent.

My dad is a shitty old film / MST3K film buff. I've actually met Joel and Mike through him since he's done some work for MST3K and has helped Joel with some promo art / books.

I saw Manos in it's pure, unadulterated state the first time. It makes the MST3K version 200% more hilarious, but was easily one of the worst experiences of my life.

That's awesome. I used to freaking love (and still do!) MST3K when I was a kid. Always woke up early to watch it on the sci-fi channel. Sadly, I don't remember much of the movies they watched, I just remember that I loved it ;-;.

As for B-Movies, the cheesy old godzilla flicks were awesome. Same ith those old 50s sci-fi movies. 'The Blob' was awesome. Same with the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Man, I gotta see more old campy movies.

vampyros lesbos, anyone?

valley of the dolls

russ meyer flicks

so much good bad stuff

i miss joe bob brigg's show

A pretty decent Russ Meyers documentary. If you've seen his films before or are as obsessed with this sort of thing as I am you probably know a lot of the stuff that will come up in this, but it's still pretty good.

edit: nevermind, links be mad hectic. That is to say, they're broken.

fuuma: did the shaw brothers do 'heroes of the east'? i saw that in montreal at the asian film fest (fantasia?) and it was fucking insane. i think it was gordon liu but im not sure cause i saw way too many kung fu movies that week. if you know anythign about it, i really want it on dvd.

I'm big into 80s 'sport' movies like Rad and Gleaming the Cube.

Also, I recently found Hellraiser 3 on VHS for a couple bucks, totally worth it. One of the demons was a DJ when he was alive, so when he comes back he shoots CDs out of his gut.

fuuma: did the shaw brothers do 'heroes of the east'? i saw that in montreal at the asian film fest (fantasia?) and it was fucking insane. i think it was gordon liu but im not sure cause i saw way too many kung fu movies that week. if you know anythign about it, i really want it on dvd.

that movie is fucking amazing, even if i haven't seen it in a long time. and yep, gordon liu is in it. directed by chia liang liu (who is gordon liu's brother) who is in it also if i remember. he's probably one of the most famous shaw directors.

can it be found on dvd? ive been tryign to tell my friends about the art of crab boxing for 3 years and i just cant pull it off. i need to show at least 25 people this movie so they dont think im retarded. it was by far the best kung fu movie ive ever seen.

• 1 month later...