Raf Simons S/S 08

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so far I'm rather dissapointed.
I can see your point. I don't get a sense of "Raf-ness" here -- these could easily have come from Prada (that grey fuzzy/spongy sweater 4th pic down has Miuccia written all over it :D).

However I still think these are nice - the pants, jackets, and overall styling (but why for no goggle-shades? Would've been perfect with the all-white).

00070mfa8.jpg

00060mym8.jpg

00050mtr5.jpg

the outerwear, as always, is appealing...

far too many of these tops look like raf took women's peasant skirts that were popular for quite a while and sewed sleeves into them. right down to the triple-tiered construction with ruching at the seams.

Guest Airjamie

Dear Raf Simons,

Please quit with this shit. I realise that fucking supple underage boys in the ass then doing lines off their cock all day while spinning a certain ratio may, quite convincingly, give you the illusion that you are from neptune, however, let me assure you that you are not. Also, the phrase "Multicolored moonboots" is, in point of fact, a slant at those members of the internet community who insist upon wearing garishly colored nikes and frequenting a webforum called "hypebeast" which originally began as a top secret government program designed to brainwash 5th graders. I dont think anyone has let the current users know. Either way, the frequent usage of this derogatory slang term is in no way an indication of current youth culture. I humbly request that you burn all traces of the heaping pile of shit pictured here and whip up something a little more impressive. Also, as a gesture of attonement, please send me a pair of those nifty silver jeans in a size 31.

domo oregano

this is just so...... wrong. it is just wrong. and not wrong in the sense that we have to let raf pull us in this new direction, it is just flat out wrong. i'm digging my heels in.

even the styling and the choice of models just strikes me as... goddamnit.

Guest Airjamie
this is just so...... wrong. it is just wrong. and not wrong in the sense that we have to let raf pull us in this new direction, it is just flat out wrong. i'm digging my heels in.

I have one word for the new collection:

derilicte'.....

Guest Airjamie

Dude, this gets me thinking. What exactly do people DO while wearing highfashion shit like this? I mean, jesus christ, even being used to stuff like this, even if I saw someone at the supermarket wearing shit like this id laugh them out of the store.

i thought this was one of the weirdest/worst parts...doesn't raf usually pull a hedi and "scout" for models? these look like some of the guys you'd see on the runway for d&g or something...

and all the blazers have those drawstrings and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

come on. i was excited for this.

I think one thing you have to understand is that most people (and by saying 'most', it still isn't a lot of people) will not be wearing a head-to-toe Raf Simons outfit. It's not like you're going to see 10 people walking around the streets in these exact runway looks and if so, then yea, it would look odd!

There's no doubt there will still be some great pieces come Spring and I bet minds will be changed when we are able to handle the clothing and see it 'un-styled'.

But right now, I'm with you guys; I just don't get it.

Dude, this gets me thinking. What exactly do people DO while wearing highfashion shit like this? I mean, jesus christ, even being used to stuff like this, even if I saw someone at the supermarket wearing shit like this id laugh them out of the store.
They all work in retail.
the outerwear, as always, is appealing...

far too many of these tops look like raf took women's peasant skirts that were popular for quite a while and sewed sleeves into them. right down to the triple-tiered construction with ruching at the seams.

i agree with all of this. thank god the white tall tees don't have that frilly shit.

I resign, fuck it. Ann D was fucked, Raf Simons was fucked... all is left now is for Rick Owens to be crappy and then for KVA to fuck up Dior Homme.

Mrhm... it's not even that this is crap, it's rather that it's so mediocre that I couldn't care less about it.

Raf Simons's message for spring 2008? Forget MySpace, and find your space in the material world. Reconnect with reality! Sure, fashion's arch-idealist has always been engaged by the tribalism of the young, and rave culture is a constant for him (here, the Chemical Brothers were on the soundtrack), but this collection's main inspiration was also the season's least likely: the backpacker. Yep, that sandal-wearing, backpack-bearing tribe of international travelers, whose curiosity, energy, and open-mindedness were held up by Simons as antidotes to the inertia of what he calls the "www-generation." Avoid the obvious, he counseled.

The way he responded to his inspiration certainly did so. Conventional volumes and proportions were done away with—T-shirts fell to mid-thigh, sweaters dropped to the knees, drawstrings tugged in sleeves, torsos, and trouser legs to create new silhouettes. Shorts—the backpacker's signature item—were reconfigured in doubled layers of contrasting fabrics. Likewise, the backpacker's hiking sandal, rejigged as a color-blocked boot that might have been designed by Mondrian. High-performance tech fabrics in intense primary shades reflected the theme. And the dominant accessory was—what else?—an enormous backpack, color-coordinated with the outfit it accompanied. (Its presence aroused memories of the spring 2007 women's show from Miuccia Prada, where the models also toted giant rucksacks.) After Simons' stunning fall show, where his signature tailoring was taken to new heights, the somewhat abstract nature of this one felt like a new direction, as though one chapter of his career might have closed and another about to open. Whatever, there is no one else in fashion thinking these thoughts, let alone acting on them.

— Tim Blanks