Sales

doctorgnar

"Starting Saturday, January 12, Tim Hamilton's classic menswear pieces are up to 70% off at his three-day sample sale. Pieces from the Spring '07 and Fall '07 collection are all on sale, including sweaters for as low as $70 and coats at $300. Saturday and Sunday, from noon to 6 p.m.; Monday, from noon to 5 p.m. Cash only. Tim Hamilton Sample Sale, 195 Chrystie Street, 5th Floor, buzzer 502, (between Stanton and Rivington streets); no phone."

see you all there

Chicago Heads--

Jake on Rush street had a section of 60% off when I went in there yesterday. It included some Nudies (some washed & dry Even Stevens) and I saw some NDG Jeans as well. I think their footwear was on sale, but I don't know if it was 60% as well. And it wasn't just jeans, there were tops also, I'm thinking Rag & Bone stuff, but don't quote me on that.

Gamma Player is currently having their winter sale 30-50% off -- Although they're not carrying the fall line of wjk, believe they still have a heavy black denim shirt in a size M going for $110.00 (marked down from 200+) and one or two short sleeve crewwneck tees.

Here's a pic of the denim shirt in beige:

img4830ro1.jpg

www.brownsfashion.com has a lot of stuff amrked down 50%.

If any of this helps, positive rep please.

someone please report back about the tim hamilton sale...dont think i could make it today and want to know if it's worth going tomorrow.

got back from the tim hamilton sale. sort of a bust personally. i think the quality is like a sub par steven alan but they have the balls to charge ridiculous prices.

as for the sale, i got there early...open the door and tons of gays are staring at me as i come in...i think this is where they all hook up instead of bars and airport bathrooms these days (no offense gays). lots of stuff for sale but for prices that are just shy of sale prices at odin. button down shirts were 80, leather jackets were 1000, wool coats were 300-600, sweaters from 70-150, shorts for 60, and assorted other stuff.

nothing amazing. i picked up a button down shirt that in the end is too small for me. (pm me if you want a xs pinstripe button down for cheap).

overall disappointing.

i went to odin on lafayette...most of the sale stuff is gone. whats left is crap...who buys trovata these days? went to opening ceremony...all crap. seriously, that place has been lame for 5 years now.

went to steven alan in tribeca...found a fucking beautiful suit that fit me like a glove but had these pockets that forced me to reconsider.

highlight of the day was having a latte at la columbe on church with my girl sitting next to gabriel byrne from usual suspects...very handsome man.

highlight of the day was having a latte at la columbe on church with my girl sitting next to gabriel byrne from usual suspects...very handsome man.

+1 on La Columbe.

I got back from the sale, too. If you're into Tim Hamilton, you should go, as there was a ton of stock and a pretty decent size run in most everything. Again, I stress, if you're into Tim Hamilton, i.e., you are familiar with all of his stuff, then go.

I was only familiar with what I'd browsed (but never tried on) at Bergdorf and seen in magazines, so I was really surprised at how everything fit, was constructed, etc. Heavy cotton jackets felt stiff and unwavering, so I passed (prices good though, all cotton jackets $100). Button-down shirts (most with BD collars) were $80 and looked worth the price, but I didn't need any. I bought a pair of light cotton pants that I really really really like (cheap too at $50) but don't fit too well, so I'm going to hold on to them to see if I shed the lbs and if not, I'll re-sell them here.

T-shirts too expensive at $50, ties ugly and felt like canvas at $30. Almost bought a black wafflish knit hoodie at $100 (with riri's) but passed because I don't really wear black (though the rust-ish zipper down the center almost contrasted enough).

Other good deals include the light wool sweaters at $60, almost bought one but it made me look strangely fat, but it was very soft. And then I think his cashmere is incredible, but I didn't want to drop $300 on what was an INCREDIBLE sweater, but too pricey. Polos $50.

Again, tons of stock, definitely worth going if you know you like the label, but I agree with gentleman, the quality is pretty subpar for the prices. I'd put it above Steven Alan, but prices on some things are reaching $800 when I wouldn't drop two bills on it.

NY Report...

Comme Des Garcons Full shelf full of Play and Kaws/CDG. Also some Chrome Hearts CDG tees. In the back, they have some things on sale 50% - dont remember specifics. If you have never been to this store, be sure to go. It was my first time and probably hands down the best experience of any store I've been to in New York

IF Boutique Was surprised to see Undercover/Visvim Duck Boots marked down to $420 something (down from $700ish). A bunch of markdowns, all in the 50% range. Junya/Levis in a Small (32x33) for $220. Sale racks for men are in the back left corner.

Project No 8 Awesome store, with a very very meager collection. Super friendly aussie chick working there. Everything in the store is like 50% off-ish? But..that's only like 15 things. If you're in China town area, do not miss it

Steven Alan on Franklin I really have bad feelings for this store/brand. Very few things on sale. The staff is friendly, the vinyl records playing are quite nostalgic, but the prices are just not good. I, regretfully, paid full price for a button down which in my opinion is of equal quality to that of Uniqlo button downs. But, for $175 you can get like 4 Uniqlo's for the price of one SA shirt. Whatever...the sale is pretty slim, a lot of full size runs on EG are marked down maybe 30%. If anyone wants a $175 gift card to Steven Alan for $150, pm me.

APC APC surplus store opened on Saturdy in Williamsburg - didn't get a chance to check it out. Nonetheless, the main store still has a fair number of things on sale. The APC topsiders have a few sizes left; 7, 8, 11 from what I remember. Can't really justify paying the discounted $240 for some Sperry's. Not much left here in the way of sizing. Mostly 1's/Smalls.

Tried to check out Stuart & Wright today; went to Lafayette or whatever street it's on and found out, after calling them, that they were located in Brooklyn and not Manhattan. Stupid me. If anyone has any specific questions on sizing/stock, let me know.

Oh yeah two more...

Costume National A lot if not all of their F/W is 50% off. When you walk in, the far rack is all 50% off. Some decent items left...I love their stuff but it's just too pricey before discount.

Club Monaco The sales their right now are ridiculous, at least in Soho. Friend got a black corduroy blazer for like $70. The store isn't bad, and if you're into it definitely get to the city and take advantage of the discounts.

a brief and selective New York Report based on my tastes, mostly:

Barneys (75%): decent selection left, including a good amount of thom browne and raf simons, some alexander mcqueen and even a few yohji pieces.

Interesting-but-not-necessarily-worthwhile highlights include: thom browne cashmere balaclavas in black and white which are as soft as they are scary ($349; quite a few left; not in the least practical but certainly fun if you're bold enough or, say, a 'collector'); lanvin astrakhan hoodies marked down to $6250 from $25000; thom browne 6x2 double-breasted blazer with floor-length skirt for $3600.

Basically, most of what has made it to 75% is exactly what you'd expect to be there. Granted, there certainly were some solid pieces (Raf two-tone blazer, Raf 'foam' blazer, a whole bunch of pants, this fantastic Thom tux lined in white football jersey-style material....

Bergdorf (70%): Nothing really worth getting unless you're looking for Tim Hamilton (in which case, go to his sample sale tomorrow first!), Michael Bastian or Isaac Mizrahi. As far as Thom Browne goes here, there's nothing really worth seeing if you're looking for sale stuff. They for some reason think they can sell leftover Spring 2007 stuff as new (I'm guessing they ran out of stuff to put on the shelves, really) and the only knitwear left was full-price (all the way from $690 for a cotton polo to $3910 for a double-breasted blazer-cut cashmere sweater) and nearly everything is in large sizes (they were I think two pieces in size 1 and the rest were 2-4). Oh and again, if you like Tim Hamilton, his blue-themed resort collection is actually pretty nice. The quality of his knits, jeans and leather seems spot-on; unfortunately his blazers feel disgusting -- really really rough material with awful nylon lining and a rather unflattering cut. Oh well.

Do people actually buy the competely insane pieces? Is there like a 95% off sale that the public isn't invited to where the one person who wants a Thom Browne Doube breasted skirt jacket is willing to a pittance for it?

If that is the case then I want invited, because I would pay a pittance for a Thom Browne Double-Breasted Skirt Jacket.

I'm pretty sure the completely insane pieces are bought out by the ridiculous barney's hangar sales. I would be in good terms with the sales people @ maxfields or barneys for callups on those... (sorry if thom brown isn't carried by them, I'm guessing)

I'm pretty sure the completely insane pieces are bought out by the ridiculous barney's hangar sales. I would be in good terms with the sales people @ maxfields or barneys for callups on those... (sorry if thom brown isn't carried by them, I'm guessing)

I'm not going to be on good terms with SAs because I am gloriously cheap, so I doubt I will be given the opportunity to come to their exclusive buying parties. So am I essentially correct in that they don't sell until they are shamefully marked down?

I'm fairly certain there are rich people who buy certain crazy pieces simply to own them, not to wear them. Although the SA who helped me was raving about the Thom skirt, saying he'd without a doubt buy it and wear it if it weren't for how expensive it was. Further, the really crazy and expensive pieces are often sold on consignment, so stores like Barneys don't even really care too much if they sell or not as they don't benefit from it.

I'm fairly certain there are rich people who buy certain crazy pieces simply to own them, not to wear them. Although the SA who helped me was raving about the Thom skirt, saying he'd without a doubt buy it and wear it if it weren't for how expensive it was. Further, the really crazy and expensive pieces are often sold on consignment, so stores like Barneys don't even really care too much if they sell or not as they don't benefit from it.

Interesting to know.

checked out the tim hamilton sample sale. Overall, a great event. Like previous posters said, if your into his stuff, its worth your time to stop in. I worked at Den when Tim hamilton was featured, so knowing all of retail prices made me gasp at what some shit was going for (I walked out with a $1600 sweater and $300 cardigan for $40.........)

checked out the tim hamilton sample sale. Overall, a great event. Like previous posters said, if your into his stuff, its worth your time to stop in. I worked at Den when Tim hamilton was featured, so knowing all of retail prices made me gasp at what some shit was going for (I walked out with a $1600 sweater and $300 cardigan for $40.........)

yeah i'm pretty sure i fucked up going to the tim hamilton sale on the first day