just bought Red Ear / Paul Smith raw denim jeans

Hi guys, I just bought a pair of Red Ear / Paul Smith raw denim jeans. Whew! And I paid a pretty penny for them too. $612.00! U.S. So I have a few questions. They are the first jeans I've ever owned made with real natural indigo and I found the whole process very noble and beautiful. Now I've read the information on this forum on how to care for the jeans. However, I'm one of those people who want to keep that deep indigo color for as long as possible. I really don't want them to fade. So would you all suggest dry cleaning? So don't wash them for 6 months and then take them to a reputable dry cleaner? Also, they are way too long. Even turned up on the ankles I could lose several inches. I don't just want to take them to a regular tailor but someone in New York who specializes in jeans. Any suggestions? Also, any other ideas you have about these jeans would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the most important idea i can offer is: Take Pictures, Lots Of Them :)

to keep the deep colour i would suggest dry cleaning...as few washes as possible and dry cleaning. but if you wear them, contrasted fading will naturally occur. it's all part of the process, so i'd say just let it happen.

doesn't Blue in Green do hemming work?

(and aren't those natural indigo Akamimi only stocked at BiG?)

in the past i think they were, but this model at least is made in japan:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2670&category_id=&manufacturer_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

the little product writeup is a very interesting read.

Yup. This is a cool read. Marketing but still cool.

Wanted to get MIJ ones but they were all gone during the sales.

Didnt want to spend too much money on 'ordinary' red ears.

Those are some beautiful jeans.

I can't tell if the patch is leather, or how it is done, but dry cleaning generally is not kind to leather patches; in particular, ink used in printing on the patch tends to be dissolved/washed off in dry cleaning, in my experience. In general, I have not been that pleased with the results of dry cleaning jeans.

I would just wear them as long as you are comfortable with not washing them, then wash them gently using a mild soap like Dr. Bronner's, and hang-drying.

Let them fade slowly and naturally, they will be beautiful.

And yes, pictures, please. Lots of them. :)

the most important idea i can offer is: Take Pictures, Lots Of Them :)

to keep the deep colour i would suggest dry cleaning...as few washes as possible and dry cleaning. but if you wear them, contrasted fading will naturally occur. it's all part of the process, so i'd say just let it happen.

doesn't Blue in Green do hemming work?

(and aren't those natural indigo Akamimi only stocked at BiG?)

Yes, these jeans are only stocked at BiG. Stupid me. I am taking the jeans back today to get them hemmed. Thanks for your help guys. I'm new to Super Premium Denim. I will take a look at the suggestions for the other natural indigo jeans. I am a bit of a purist and even though I love my jeans, the jury is still out on the Paul Smith connection.

Based on my experience with natural indigo, even monthly updates won't be necessary :P Those will more than likely stay dark as hell for a long time, which is probably a good thing.

I'd love to see pics of how they fit though. I was considering picking them up.

Those are some beautiful jeans.

I can't tell if the patch is leather, or how it is done, but dry cleaning generally is not kind to leather patches; in particular, ink used in printing on the patch tends to be dissolved/washed off in dry cleaning, in my experience. In general, I have not been that pleased with the results of dry cleaning jeans.

I would just wear them as long as you are comfortable with not washing them, then wash them gently using a mild soap like Dr. Bronner's, and hang-drying.

Let them fade slowly and naturally, they will be beautiful.

And yes, pictures, please. Lots of them. :)

No, the patch is not leather. A really nice thickly woven metallic fabric. It'll be fine dry cleaned but thanks for your input

...Thats a damn nice buy you have there, do the unwashed treatment for 6 months, let them fade naturally and post us lots of pics...The booklet that comes with it is as beautiful,let me know if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off your hands ;)

No, they did not include the book when I bought the jeans. But I will go back today and ask.

my god, $600+ for raw? Just a couple of years ago, the raw or one wash versions were mid to high $200s and the washed versions were $500+ (the way most lines delineate their raw and washed versions I think). Now flame-torch-finishing has raised prices I guess, ha ha. I have the non distressed, version from 2004 or 2005, I dont remember. It wasn't raw but it wasn't the "washed" version either. Although the predistressed version was absolutely gorgeous, I figured I'd break it in myself. My god...those suckers are hard to break in!! With the sole exception of the Sugar Cane Okinawas, I have found across the board that natural indigo is really really resistant to fade. (My other two naturals I have are the PBJs and Nudies) All you people holding ur breaths for fades, I hope you dont get your hopes deflated. So I can't be as enthused as some of you about the natural dye but lemme confirm that the detailing is so goddamn pretty. The different buttons, the one hidden/one exposed rivets, the friggin selvage! (my avatar here for the longest time)...very beautiful and original.

were those made in japan as well? i think most of the range is priced slightly lower than this line...

the rainbow selvedge has always been something that caught my eye. but rather than any fades i'm actually keen on seeing closeups of the details. there's always been questions raised about their quality, so now that they've priced something this high up, and blue in green thinks it worth their while to carry it, perhaps there will be some sort of step up.

The made in China red ears were about $300 (raw) when I saw them a couple months ago. Are you sure yours are the made in japan ones, shinobi? I know the made in china selvage red ears also the rainbow.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with that experience with natural indigo :P You just gotta make sure you love them for what they are, not what they may look like a year down the line. My PBJ probably have around... 9-10 months of wear and the visual result is pretty negligible.

Anyway, main reason I'm interested in the MIJ Red Ear is because it looks like the only way to get the really expensive stuff with a long inseam. 45rpm and others tend to be 34" or less, these measure 36" after wash.