Ute Ploier F/W 07-08

chris

thats kind of odd cause I dont recall her previous collections looking so raf-ish. maybe some influences but not as much as this one. never liked the earlier ones that much, this one isn't too exciting either.

thats kind of odd cause I dont recall her previous collections looking so raf-ish. maybe some influences but not as much as this one. never liked the earlier ones that much, this one isn't too exciting either.

Excatly, the previous collections weren't in the same vein that much. This collection looks way too much like Raf FW06/07. I like the trousers in the second look and that kid with the bleached hair looks like Dade Murphy (aka Zero Cool) in Hackers.

Guest Airjamie

This shit looks straightthefuckup raf by raf A/W 01-03. What was raf professor of? Hating poor people and getting them to pay $700 for a fucking hoodie?

Excatly, the previous collections weren't in the same vein that much. This collection looks way too much like Raf FW06/07. I like the trousers in the second look and that kid with the bleached hair looks like Dade Murphy (aka Zero Cool) in Hackers.

Hahahahah. I was going to make the joke that zerocool's jacket was raf simons in the what's so great about supreme thread (he did make a jacket like that once if I can recall). joke biter.

agreed.

i would be much more interested if she had taken what she learned from Raf and

gone on to do womenswear.

Why? Because she's a she? Sorry, but that's stupid. Though this IS derivative, consider it a school. During the rennaissance, apprentices working masters would copy EXACT paintings over and over, and eventually they'd give birth to something original and completely brilliant. I can see that happening here.

Why? Because she's a she? Sorry, but that's stupid. Though this IS derivative, consider it a school. During the rennaissance, apprentices working masters would copy EXACT paintings over and over, and eventually they'd give birth to something original and completely brilliant. I can see that happening here.

I personally just think it would be interesting to see the Raf aesthetic applied to women.

I personally think Raf himself should do it, if anyone, however. I sometimes wonder why his ideas fail to encompass the female element of these "youth revolutions" or what have you. To deny that there was an influence and that there's a distinct experience is foolhardy, but I imagine it would be considerably more difficult and consequently possibly more interesting.

Perhaps he considers his work unisex, I'm not sure, but I'd be interested to see what he 'suggests' or at the very least observes about women in these movements that he's, to a certain extent, re-appropriated.

I think that in the case of examining "experience" and applying it to design, it might work better for a woman to do it than a man.

However, I agree that having her do a "womens" collection just because she's a woman would be stupid. My point is simply that it could be revealing.

no, actually, the womenswear comment was because of how i originally came to know Ute's work.

she used to have this small label-cum-art project called zwie which did maybe a handful or so of women's pieces that i thought were interesting. i think this was while she was still in school, actually, and studying with Raf Simons.

i really wouldn't know, the last time i saw the stuff was in a german fashion magazine... i'll see what i can turn up with a few web searches.

if i had to pin zwie to some other reference, it was sort of like Bless with less emphasis on function-meeting-form and with a really good interplay between feminine and masculine qualities.

• 2 weeks later...