Diesel Denim?

Furion

I'm a total newbie when it comes to denim and so far, I've only got one pair of Diesel jeans and a couple pairs of AE (Yeah i know, they're back from my preppy days). I've just saved up another 400 bucks for a pair of them but now I'm wondering, are they worth it or should I buy another brand and if so, which?

By the way, I'm looking for things that'll go with plain tees like this:

looped_detail1.jpg

Furion, most of the guys here are irrationally prejudiced against brands they consider inferior for one idiosyncratic reason or another. Diesel is one of those brands. You know how most heterosexual American males are emotionally triggered when their sexuality is questioned? The same thing happens to the guys on here when you mention Diesel jeans.

That said, Diesel denim is pretty high quality. There's a huge variety of slick pocket designs, cuts, and washes. They doesn't produce raw denim (although they once did, a long time ago), so Diesel is only good if you're looking for prewashed jeans. I highly recommend the brand, in general... but do research and find the fit that flatters you the best.

without more information, no one is going to be able to tell you what to buy, although throwing out the AEs is a pretty good start. check out this thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

its a compendium of pretty much all the denim knowledge in the universe.

oh, and i think you'd have a hard time finding a pair of jeans that dont go with that shirt.

Furion, most of the guys here are irrationally prejudiced against brands they consider inferior for one idiosyncratic reason or another. Diesel is one of those brands. You know how most heterosexual American males are emotionally triggered when their sexuality is questioned? The same thing happens to the guys on here when you mention Diesel jeans.

that's one of the best parallels to the hive mind here that i've seen...

i would pause to take a moment and ask: 400 bucks for a pair of diesels? where are you getting them? honestforum.com would really help you out with getting a pair for much less from ebay or on discount at stores.

to answer your question, you need to be more specific about what sort of cut you want. since you mentioned diesel i'm guessing you want something that is washed, so i'll recommend looking at earnest sewn as an alternative for good quality washed jeans.

No one said anyone should pay 400 bucks for a pair of jeans. I think Furion's pretty clear that the 400 figure represents his budget, not an intended spending amount.... but there are actually a couple of jeans that Diesel releases every few seasons that retail for 400+. They usually aren't worth it, but it's pretty cool if you get em for cheap on Ebay or somewhere..

I think diesels branding has gone over the years It used to be ok about 7 years ago. The washes are really over the top too. A lot of people on here dont like them. The quality on Diesels is very good though. They are really well made in terms of the construction and their denim is good but better jeans can be had at a similar price point. If you are shopping in the 400 dollar price range I would look into 45rpm, kohzo (you can find these on sale at a couple places for around 400), or 5ep.

All the above make better washes then diesel.

For a slightly lower pricepoint (200) : Earnest Sewn are nice jeans with some great realistic washes although the denim weight is really light and they might not hold up that long..

Theres a lot of raw and one wash denim too that you could certainly buy if you want anything without a wash. You can find various brands throughout the forum...

I like Rag and Bone a lot for dark denim but they arent raw....

They have top notch construction and I just love the way they look dark...

if you really wanna go with diesel denim, go with

safado 8DK. simple cut, simple wash. safados are the beginners' slim(mer) fit. doesn't have crazy details. the wash is a nice black wash. some breakage in the wash but no crazy teratment/details.

viker 8EB. slimmer straight leg cut, mid-low rise. the wash is dark dark black, 12oz, and woa. it's actually a "japanese denim" (you hear that, sufu?).

furion, i took the flame off of you. now it's all on me! ha!

If you have $400 to spend on jeans, can you please just buy at least one pair of dry denim? Even if it is just a pair of APCs, you still have $260 left over. Then you can go and buy your Diesel stuff.

But honestly, I think that once you wear your dry denim enough, you'll realize why everyone here loves it so much. The feel, the authenticity of real fading, and the quality of the jeans really make dry denim so much better than prewashed, and leaps and bounds better than eurotrash prewashed.

i have conflicting feelings on diesel.

what nobody can deny is that they are yet another company that peaked around 2002-2003 that was completely late to abandon flares and bootcut jeans and now have been left eating dust.

they also completely refuse to abandon a majority of their terrible back pocket designs.

that said, many of their jeans are far less offensive than offerings from brands like seven for all mankind and true religion.

Talking about Diesel jeans here would be like talking about martin luther king jr on stormfront.org

I happen to love Diesel jeans, and they're a good option if you want prewashed denim. However, I rarely pay full retail price on them. Zathans are awesome. Slammers are good if you're a rocker.

Hit up honestforum.com if you havent already.

what nobody can deny is that they are yet another company that peaked around 2002-2003 that was completely late to abandon flares and bootcut jeans and now have been left eating dust.

they also completely refuse to abandon a majority of their terrible back pocket designs.

that said, many of their jeans are far less offensive than offerings from brands like seven for all mankind and true religion.

i remember trying on some diesel zathans a year and a half ago and liking them. comfortable, decent distress job, and if i scuffed about on ebay i could get hold of them for prices that were very reasonable.

and who can forget the inimitable diesel selvedge? Dr. Jonboy can attest to their excellent past.

I'm not quite sure what sort of a fit you are going for.

I would suggest browsing these stores' websites until you find something that you like:

blueingreensoho.com

selfedge.com

contextclothing.com

You can't go wrong with anything on there. Also, the owners will be more than glad to help you find the perfect pair of jeans. I would advise against purchasing a pair of Diesels, unless you are really smitten with the brand. The price versus quality ratio is a little abysmal. They are also losing their trend appeal, imo.

FYI most Diesel stores are having a sale starting on the 14th of this month, 30 to 50 percent off. This is their once a year sale. I'd check it out if you're near one of their stores.

The cheapest online retailer to get authentic Diesel jeans is yoox.com

However, their selection is kind of spotty, and they dont list the wash. But if you find your size, and a cut you like, you'll be getting an awesome deal. Got me a new pair of Zathans for $80.

without more information, no one is going to be able to tell you what to buy, although throwing out the AEs is a pretty good start. check out this thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=12729

its a compendium of pretty much all the denim knowledge in the universe.

oh, and i think you'd have a hard time finding a pair of jeans that dont go with that shirt.

Whoa, thats awesome. How do you +rep because you def deserve it :D

If you want to spend $400 dollars and want an "investment" pair, I'd say go for Diors. You could never go wrong.

Or if you want to get raw denim cheaper, you can never go wrong with APCs too.. New Standards are pretty much "classic" it'll never get out of style and is durable. They're a lot cheaper... leaving you some money for shirts, new shoes, or a whore.

...its kinda worth it as a rainy day jean or something you want to get super sweaty or something

Hahaha Rainy Day Jean

FYI most Diesel stores are having a sale starting on the 14th of this month, 30 to 50 percent off. This is their once a year sale. I'd check it out if you're near one of their stores.

diesel has sales twice a year and it started already.

30 off for fashion pants and jackets for now.

they will go down to 50 soon.

The thing that people neglect too about diesel is that they produce SO many varieties of jeans in each season that you can pretty much be guaranteed there's something "for you" any time you go in. Even during the bootcut craze they also offered farco (straight leg tapered cut), kuratt ("regular" fit with somewhat of an anti-fit seat) etc and there's ALWAYS some basic washes in every season. People here like to find the one most extreme wash every season to piss on diesel but there's always something understated too that would appeal to people here.

hah, i'm surprised at the lack of flaming.

that being said... i don't think their jeans are anything special.

Yeah but people in here live in the top 1% of the denim market, and diesel is in the top 5% so some SF peeps dont deign to touch them. But compared to the other 95% diesel is several cuts above (no pun intended).

Yeah but people in here live in the top 1% of the denim market

Who said anything about raw denim being the "top 1%" of the market? Differences in denim quality at this level (say, Diesel v. Nudie) are, at best, negligible.

I've noticed that on Sufu that there is a strong attachment to [1] Japanese denim lore (anachronistic, manufactured lore, to be sure), [2] the unique fade aspect of raw denim, and [3] creating differences between "limited" brands and "mass-marketed" brands to maintain a sense elitism. Does it make brands like PBJ and Samurai any qualitatively better than Diesel? Probably not.

Remember, the modern clothing industry has survived precisely because of its success at marketing new trends to manipulate consumer preference. Does anyone honestly think that "Japanese" brands are exempt from this rule of economics? Apparently so.

first off, why the hell are you talking about nudie v. diesel? I highly doubt many people on here claim nudie to the top notch in the quality and construction category. They are, as with a decent number of other brands, a fit jean. You buy them simply for the fit.

Qualitatively better? Umm.. yes? Quality wise you really can't compare a lot of the repro companies to something like diesel. I really don't have a problem with diesel, but unless you've personally handled some of these jeans, it's kind of hard to understand. I am not even that big of a denim fan, I own 1 pair of repros, 1 pair of soon to be retired apcs, and a pair of 30$ levis. But the quality aspect is, in this case, one you can actually feel.