SuFu fashion on a low budget. Help me build my college wardrobe.

I suggest getting a Thom Browne cardigan and some Carol Christian Poell sneakers...that way you'll have no money left to spend on getting 5 pairs of expensive raw denim when you're strapped for cash.

hear, hear, this is a man with wisdom and wit.

Grab a pair of chucks or something. Costs you not very much and would look better than some diesels IMO.

word, im in the same kinda ordeal with you. im heading to college soon, and i am just getting tired of the stussy/hypebeast stuff... I am going to be heading off to Japan this summer for a grad trip, so im doing some saving up right now..

since im still in high school, im still rocking my stussy t-shirts and hypebeasty stuff until i grad. that way i wont loss my $$$ from buying all that shit... i probbly wont sell them cause no one would buy it anyways, but i keep the the T-shirts when im on my casual days/boring weekends...

I already started with getting brand new shoes.. i threw away my AF1's, SB's *they were old anyways*, and got myself 4 pairs of chucks.. for 30 bucks each around... I still have my airmax 360's, and adidas's since i think they are pretty comfy and match pretty well with anything.

i need to start my denim and jacket/t-shirt when i go to TOkyo. I plan on getting 2 pairs of good quailty raw denim there. I only have a pair of Gap morrison right now and a pair of Knowldge jean * which suck cause they like strech out like mad*

I guess if you have the $$$ you can just buy all the stuff @ once and be happy. but for a guy like me who only got a weekend job + having to pay tution soon, I will have to slowly work on my collection

Anyways, I'd have to agree with him either way. I started buying a ton of H&M stuff, and then when I realized it didn't turn out too well after 3-4 washes, I started saving up for better articles.

What the christ are you people doing to you're T-shirts that you're ruining them after three-to-four washes?

What the christ are you people doing to you're T-shirts that you're ruining them after three-to-four washes?

honestly.

i recently gave away a sackful of H&M clothes to a clothing drive, all of it being a year older or more, and the person accepting the donations looked through and asked me if the clothes were new.

is your mom maybe using too much detergent when she washes your stuff, guys?

smack that hoe.

Nah after 3-4 washes, the tags and stickers start to fade, and then they dont look so new anymore!

I'm 18. I'm in the midwest, I'm going to a fairly nice college (Marquette).

Marquette as in MKE? Hah, i'll take you shopping. The H&M in Bayshore is a safe bet, keep shopping there. Check the AA website every once in awhile, they're always updating their product line.

Check the sale rack at Detour on Brady and the one in Brookfield; the drive is worth it since the location is more remote, the availability is better and the sale rack is bigger. Speaking of Brady street, Yellowjacket just moved to some big house across the street from Detour, they always have good shit at a fair price.

The thrift on Brown Deer is pretty nice. Goodwill and Salvation Army are good. Check the Value Village on North and the one on Layton, in Cudahy. i just picked up a decent pair of running shoes for 5 bucks there.

If you're in the neighborhood, Bay View has some nice places to shop. Luv Unlimited has a good selection at a fair price.

Next time you're in Context, stop in at Ragstock for more vintage/thrifting. Also stop in at Urban Outfitters and check the sale rack.

like what everybody says...develop your OWN style. do not let other people dictate your sense of fashion. make sure you buy something that fits right and comfortable. when it comes to basics like tees i suggest that you just stick with the cheap stuff with a nice fit since i'm sure you'll going to throw it after a year or two. but make sure to spend extra money on things like jeans/slim fitting trousers, nice dress shirt, outerwear, shoes & accessories...because most of these stuff (except for the dress shirts) look better with age...

If you wanna stand out in college, one really easy way is to get some nice shoes. Everyone is going to be wearing the same diesel or whatever sneakers you currently own.

I disagree. Most kids wont give a fuck/wont notice what shoes you`re wearing.

I went thru uni in w)taps, bape, supreme, silas, evisu, retro nike (when everyone else except like 10 jap kids had rugby jumpers, sweatpants and like diesel, royal elastics and adidas) and everyone except the Jap exchange students just thought I was a retard with goofy clothes. I got a lot of jpussy in Australia almost just coz of what I was wearing but it didnt matter coz even if everyone hated me for what I wore I`d still wear it coz I love it and it meant something to me and thats all that matters. You gotta wear your shit for you, to satisfy yourself, not other people. I actually liked that nobody knew what I was wearing or cared coz the important thing to me was actually feeling like I had one up on these fools with their tracksuits and thongs (flip flops.) haha

I disagree. Most kids wont give a fuck/wont notice what shoes you`re wearing.

I went thru uni in w)taps, bape, supreme, silas, evisu, retro nike (when everyone else except like 10 jap kids had rugby jumpers, sweatpants and like diesel, royal elastics and adidas) and everyone except the Jap exchange students just thought I was a retard with goofy clothes. I got a lot of jpussy in Australia almost just coz of what I was wearing but it didnt matter coz even if everyone hated me for what I wore I`d still wear it coz I love it and it meant something to me and thats all that matters. You gotta wear your shit for you, to satisfy yourself, not other people. I actually liked that nobody knew what I was wearing or cared coz the important thing to me was actually feeling like I had one up on these fools with their tracksuits and thongs (flip flops.) haha

where did u get ur share of jpussy in Australia?

Well, when you look at it, he seems to be alluding to the fact that "spreading money around" is worse while saving up for a few nice pieces is the way to go. ...Whatever, it's useless to explain.

Anyways, I'd have to agree with him either way. I started buying a ton of H&M stuff, and then when I realized it didn't turn out too well after 3-4 washes, I started saving up for better articles.

Really though, it's too bad about H&M isn't it? They have nice cuts, they have interesting concepts, but they don't have quality.

What he is saying is that the op should not spend an equal amount on shirts, jeans, shoes, etc. He thinks that he should invest in a very nice pair of jeans and save for a stand out piece (like really good shoes), but buy everything else for a cheap price (basic shirts, hoodies, etc). Sort of a spending heirarchy. I have to agree with this. I have a pair of Samurais that compliment all of my other crap so well, that it helps me get away with just wearing very basic AA and thrift stuff all the time. I get complimented for dressing well even though I wear extremely cheap stuff. Get a clean, understated pair of vans, some AA hoodies and shirts, a few print shirts to mix it up a bit and buy all of your socks/underwear at Wal-Mart and your golden. You wont look like a Dior model, but people in college rarely recognize the best dressed people as such. I would advise you to keep the Kicking Mules (they are an excellent cut) and the skulls/canes depending on what kind of fit you want. Sell the rest. When you see a small thing that is not very flashy or trashy (Diesel sneakers...) then feel free to pick it up if it compliments your look. Subtlety is key. I think that the user nairb49 has this mastered. Good luck!

hey, Its pretty hard to buy a wardrobe at once.. make sure everytime you add something to your closet, that you truly love it...the cut, the size etc etc. People will notice that everything seems perfect all the time.. if you buy alot of stuff at once you also buy mediocre things... it takes alot of time to have something nice plus if you buy lil you will appreciate the things you actually buy hehehe

a very complete wardrobe is one where you look goot in every outfit but that takes time and money

Funny how ridiculously different the views on things on SuFu versus SF are. On SF, Tigers (almost any style, Tai Chi, Mexico 66, whatever) are considered "safe" but "stylish" sneakers.

Perhaps, but prewashed bootcut jeans worn with a blazer is also considered "safe" but "stylish" on SF.

My main beef with Tigers is that the sexy low profileness of the Tai Chi is countered by the fact that the soles have no grip and wear out within 6 months, wheras the Mexico 66 just looks fucking ugly in comparison. The vulcanised soled ones look rather nice, but they're a pretty expensive rarity and I can't justify buying more sneakers.

I dunno, i have to disagree. I think the tai chi's are very nice but they are kinda feminine, I bought my GF a pair a long time ago and while she wears them a few times a week during spring and summers only, they have lasted over 2 years. (besides who on sufu only wear one pair of shoes all the time?) The mexicos on the other hand I think are one of the best looking tigers, what is ruining it for me the overload of shitty colorways that have come out in the past few years (the same thing happened with the Diesel Wish but that's a different era). Regardless tigers are certainly not the best shoes out there but definitely a great choice for a beat shoe when the weather is not so nice outside, and IMO they are definitely 100x better than your run of the mill Nike or Adidas sports shoes that 90% of americans wear when they are not wearing dress shoes.

Put it this way. My Converse which I am wearing right now I bought at exactly the same time as my Tai Chis, and have now gone strong for 2 years longer, which is pretty remarkable considering these have been to more gigs than you can shake a large stick at.