Time to get a prom suit.

Well, 4 weeks to prom and its time to start the search for a tux, Im 18, 5'10" and 147lbs. Im looking for a slim fit, trying to decide between suspenders or vest. Can anyone reccomend and looks.

My first idea was black jacket, balck pants, white tie, white vest, white shirt.

Second was Black jacket, black pants, black shirt, white tie, white suspenders.. i saw a model with white suspenders over an all balck suit and it looks beautiful.

Any ideas? Recomendations?

oh BTW i live in Queens and can go anywhere in the 5 boroughs if anyone has a good store. My price cap is around $175 to rent.

Thanks all im looking forward to the responses.

you probably won't be too successful trying to rent a slim-fit suit. they're all a pretty generic fit and if you want slimfit you'd probably have to get one tailored for you. at least that's what the woman said to me when i inquired about one when i rented my tux.

i def. suggest going with the white over black. i went to prom with a white vest and white tie over a black shirt, with a black 2-button suit and black pants. i got very positive responses.

stick to simple, black over white that fits well. A white suit justs screams " tryig too hard and failing". You probably don't even have to have a vest, a cummerband and trousers with tightning tabs looks better imho. Keep it simple, the pupose of your outfit is really to fade into the background next to your date and make her look stunning (she looks like she'll manage this fine :D ). A matching pocket square to her dress can look classy though. Final word of advice is make sure she dosen't wear a shawl, one girl did that at our prom and didn;t notice she stuck out horribly and just loked stuck up. It ruined her outfit, her dress would have been brilliant otherwise.

Good luck finding something slim fit to rent, I really do not think you will find anything unless you can "size down."

As a word of advice, try matching, but listen to your date. My girlfriend puts up with my shit, but she was really unhappy that I had her get a dress that was all black instead of one she wanted.

"but I still think you should re-consider..."

what the hell did that mean tiranis? IMO shes a beautiful girl, beautiful enough to be with me for 9 months, put it this way shes known as one of the schools best.

Anyway, hmf that would suck i figure i would look a little different in a more slim fit suit.. i think shes going with an off-white dress...

So i have decided on suspenders, how does everyone feel about a hat?

shoes? im thinking all patent leather.

what the hell did that mean tiranis? IMO shes a beautiful girl, beautiful enough to be with me for 9 months, put it this way shes known as one of the schools best.

I think he meant you might want to re-consider putting her picture on the internet.

Black Slim Slacks from AA, white tee, vintage black blazer (slim fitting),

white belt & white Van slip-ons. I would post a pic of me wearing just that for my prom..

but I hate my ugly self. I did get a ton of compliments, though.

So I take it you went to a school for the blind?

Oh no, I'm not judging her. Just sarcastically saying that she might not appreciate having her picture posted on a fashion board full of unknown, creepy people.

So I take it you went to a school for the blind?

Change the belt and shoes (or hell, just change the shoes to white leather dress shoes) and add a tie/bow tie and that sounds like it'd look better than 90% of the guys at prom, and it'd be cheaper too.

didnt mean to sound like that, thought he was hating on my lady. i dont take that kindly, im just not good with that. Im not saying i have been sent from heaven, but im a good looking guy who knows how to treat a lady.

on a side note i take it all of you have atleast been to highschool for a year? (i hope) so you know there is a heirarchy established amongst guys..

and yes that quote could damage me fataly.

and in response to the horse quote.. men were created to serve god, and women to serve men.

Personally, I think matching looks bad. But that's just my opinion. Classic black/white, cummerbund and bowtie works the best.

I had a friend who went in coattails, wingtips, white gloves, cane, and top hat. It was glorious.

Also, consider how everything comes off within 10 minutes the dance floor opens up. That slim fitting blazer you looked for for weeks is going to be on the back of a chair most of the night. Unless you don't dance, which also might be awkward in slims.. But I dunno, I just went in a classic tuxedo that my dad bought with company money a while ago. :)

As long as what you get fits well, you'll look fine.

(Pst, chicks also dig the untied bowtie hanging around your neck. Learn how to tie a bow, it'll put you so much farther ahead than the kids wearing clip-ons.)