sugarcane 1947

poly800rock

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:

probably like 9". they are levi's copies, so they won't be far off from vintage 501.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Jul 6, 2005 10:37 PM

Hey Serge, Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I personally don't think they are Levi's copies. If that was the case, almost every jean in the world would be a Levi's copy. Sugar Cane 1947 in addition to almost every other vintage jean in Japan are standard 5-pockets. These types of jeans IMO are too special to be copies. The Japanese are also way too innovative to copy. You've probably noticed that many brands in Japan also use the "Red Tab" which again is quite standard over there. I personally wouldn't say Levi's copies though..

Is every t-shirt a Haines copy? Is every car a Ford copy? Is every baseball cap a "?" copy? Is every pair of underwear a "?" copy? etc..etc..etc.

Edited by spitzbrg on Jul 7, 2005 at 07:17 AM

those sugar cane 1947 are actually copies of the levi's 501 1947.

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=126

the japanese is an innovative bunch, but it doesn't mean they won't make a copy of what's good. i agree though japanese jeans are head and shoulders above what's coming out of america.

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Does anyone else find it weird that so many Japanese brands are basically making straight up 501 repros and nothing else? Check out rakuten - almost every pair is a spitting image, down to the red tab and diagonal stitch line at the top button.

I know none of this is new, but I think it's a little... overwrought. Repros are fine, the denim and finishing on jeans like Eternal, Samurai, Yen, and Denime are wicked, but what about innovation and creativity? Is the end of the 501 repro in sight?

Quote:

and john, why do you think canes are better than lvc?

--- Original message by hahnstch on Jul 7, 2005 06:24 PM

imo the denim they use for sugar cane is much more like the original than lvc. levi's just see their history as a marketing tool - sugar cane are far more dedicated to producing an authentic product

http://ocn.amikai.com/amiweb/browser.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sugarcane.jp%2Fstandard.html&display=2&langpair=2%2C1&c_id=ocn〈=JA&toolbar=yes

th_501xxrivet.jpg

Edited by johnmc on Jul 7, 2005 at 10:14 PM

Edited by johnmc on Jul 7, 2005 at 10:19 PM

Agreed. I think even APC denim shows better contrast than LVC. The indigo is not rich like the real ones from the 40's till the end of the single stitch era. I have had much better luck from evisu, warehouse, dude ranch, and denime, although I don't really like denime all that much. I have never had any canes, but I am really itching for a pair. I would have done anythig to get a pair 4 years ago!

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Quote: know none of this is new, but I think it's a little... overwrought. Repros are fine, the denim and finishing on jeans like Eternal, Samurai, Yen, and Denime are wicked, but what about innovation and creativity? Is the end of the 501 repro in sight?

the 501 cut is timeless and classic, there is no better fit for denim. period.

and the japanes dont want to elaborate and improve cuts or fits, cause there is nothing to improve. its about denim creation, cotton, dyes, sewing, details,rivets, patches...

if you want some other cut, you are in danger to become some fashionista, whose jeans are played in 2 years, like all the US brands (seven, true religion).

its about making a classic product, and wearing til it gets all the natural marks, creases.

IMHO its the most authentic product you can have. cause you developed it, and its pathina gives it kind of a personality..(sounds cheesy, but dont now how to say it right)