Favorite Quotes?

“When you’re younger, you think a little irony is all you need. You think it’ll get you to the grave, but it won’t. Loss always seeps through. You do need to deal with it.â€â€”Douglas Coupland

very true.

i read audrey said this? or did she just repeat what that guy said..

It was Sam Levenson, oft quoted by Hepburn

From his book: "In One Era & Out the Other"

Note: This poem was one of Audrey Hepburn's favourite poems to quote,

and has been erroneously attributed to her. It was actually written by

Sam Levenson and read by Audrey Hepburn on Christmas Eve, 1992

and also on occasion when she was asked for beauty tips.

[From Audrey Hepburn by Barry Paris, 1996, Putnam]

"look up at me, you see a god, look down at me, you see a fool, look straight at me, you see yourself."
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split."

- R.E. Howard

i really like these two.

Sewell Avery once said: "If anybody ventures to differ with me, of course, I throw them out of the window."

^^^i could go on with jack handey quotes for days, lol

studying for a philosophy final and i liked this passage:

"Everytime we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weaken out powers of selfcontrol, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence. We all suffer severely enough from the maintenance and support of false beliefs and the fatally wrong actions which they lead to, and the evil born when one such belief is entertained is great and wide. But a greater and wider evil arises when the credulous character is maintained and supported, when a habit of believing for unworthy reasons is fostered and made permanent.

The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things, though that is great enough; but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them; for then it must sink back into savagery.

If a man, holding a belief which he was taught in childhood or persuaded of afterwards, keeps down and pushes away any doubts which arise about it in his mind, purposely avoids the reading of books and the company of men that call in question or discuss it, and regards as impious those questions which cannot easily be asked without disturbing it - the life of that man is one long sin against humanity"

- W.K. Clifford

“Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit.â€

— Ansel Adams

If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon.

- George Aiken

This was pretty poorly thought out as there already/is/has been prejudice based on more than that. It completely ignores prejudice based on class, blood and wealth.

This was pretty poorly thought out as there already/is/has been prejudice based on more than that. It completely ignores prejudice based on class, blood and wealth.

Probably indicative of the background of Aiken himself.

I saw this one today...

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.

- Albert Einstein

Probably indicative of the background of Aiken himself.

I saw this one today...

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.

- Albert Einstein

Did you like it for its irony or? (The Aiken quote I mean)

“Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit.”

— Ansel Adams

^^That's boss

“There was nothing really as glorious as a good beer shit—I mean after drinking twenty or twenty-five beers the night before. The odor of a beer shit like that spread all around and stayed for a good hour-and-a-half. It made you realize that you were really alive.â€

—Ham on Rye, 1982

^ You can't list all prejudices in one small quote. The main idea, I think, was that no matter what you can't destroy prejudices in society because they are in the nature of man.

I understand the point of the quote, I guess I just found it poorly phrased and it seemed like Aiken was either ignorant of other types of prejudice or perhaps just hadn't fully considered what he was saying. It's possible that some stuff was edited to make his statement more short/ eloquent but it's important to recognize stuff that he left out, whether it was conscious or not it still says something...

"be strong, be gentle, be beautiful"

keiko fukuda- the highest ranked female in judo

"dont you know the first law of physics, anything that's fun costs at least 8 dollars"

eric cartman- south park

"look into your heart, and do whatever the hell makes you happy"

bob kelso- scrubs

Guest amon goth

the one in my sig and

"There is no good and evil; only power, and those too weak to seek it"

yes it's by Lord Voldemort :P but I live by it.

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

-Stalin

"Look now how mortals are blaming the gods, for they say that evils come from us, but in fact they themselves have woes beyond their share because of their own follies"

-Homer

"Where the telescope ends the microscope begins, and who can say which has the wider vision?"

-Victor Hugo

"The man who leaves money to charity in his will is only giving away what no longer belongs to him"

-Voltaire

"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones."

-Francois de La Rochefoucauld (he has a lot of cool quotes similar to this)

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of truth."

-Johann Georg von Zimmermann

ok im done

Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things.

- Russell Baker

Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.

- Bertrand Russell