Best Shopping/Stores in Chicago

cd1

frontera is better than topo - just make sure to get there early or late to minimize wait. actually there's a crap load of mexican restaurants esp concentrated around the pilsen area, gourmet did a write-up of them last year if you're a chowhound type and can hunt down a copy.

if you want a formal meal trotter's still can't be beat and alinea is very worthwhile - if you can get a table at either. most of the other highly touted places are similar price points but not particularly memorable. forget sushi / japanese.

there are some great brunch/breakfast places - bongo room, toast (french toast stuffed with mascarpone), salt & pepper (classic diner food, great hash browns), walker bros (wilmette - way out of the way but two types of apple pancakes) etc. go on weekdays to avoid the crush.

if you don't mind the possibility of getting mugged or your car stolen, there are some amazing barbecue places in the far south side - lem's is one of the best. if you do mind that, smokedaddy's on division st is a reasonable approximate.

nearby the amoco (nee std oil) building there's a few harry bertoia sound sculptures in the plaza out front if you're nearby - if there's no security guards you can play with them, they're super cool.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i forgot to add.

if and when youre drunk at 2am and hungry,

stop by maxwells/jims on halsted and roosevelt for a late night heart attack (polish sausage is off the chain. fries are better at jims, hot peppers better at maxwells).

otherwise, tacqueria cardonas on 18th and ashland(ish) has ridiculous tacos and its open 24.

im trying my damn best to live vicariously through you.

• 4 weeks later...

I figured I'd revive this, lots of good suggestions I'm keeping track of in here. The deal is a group of us (7, maybe 8) are going to be heading into Chi for Lollapalooza the first weekend of August, Friday morning until Monday evening. Flying in, and since the primary concern is the festival, we won't be renting wheels. How easy will it be to get around to some of these places from Grant Park?

Important: Bars, Pizza, Shopping (for both sexes). Also wouldn't be opposed to very basic sight-seeing, but that would probably only really work on the Monday.

I went to ñ bar last week. It was really cool, except that it's hard to get to. It's on the corner of Elston & Rockwell.

But they had good food for pretty cheap (I had a $6 homemade sausage sandwich with fries) and they have good Mojito's. I don't even like Mojito's, but I liked theirs.

I went on a Wednesday and that night they had a DJ, but also a live drummer that was improvising beats the whole time, going perfectly with the music, new and old hip hop.

I would recommend it definitely.

I figured I'd revive this, lots of good suggestions I'm keeping track of in here. The deal is a group of us (7, maybe 8) are going to be heading into Chi for Lollapalooza the first weekend of August, Friday morning until Monday evening. Flying in, and since the primary concern is the festival, we won't be renting wheels. How easy will it be to get around to some of these places from Grant Park?

Important: Bars, Pizza, Shopping (for both sexes). Also wouldn't be opposed to very basic sight-seeing, but that would probably only really work on the Monday.

it will probably be hotter than a monkey's bottom so pack accordingly. you should be able to plan everything around what's accessible to the el, assuming the place you're staying is convenient to same. all the famous pizza joints are in the loop so no problem there but factor in some waiting time for a table. i think it's been covered ad nauseum on this thread but chicago's not really a sufu type shopping town so scale expectations accordingly. otoh it should be well into sale season so you may sniff out a few bargains but if you're pressed for time you may just want to focus on a neighborhood or two.

will be in chicago now till next wednesday. anything going down?

Hit up myopenbar.com, or flavorpill, they should have some options for you. It depends what you're into.

There's a Cool Kids show tonight at Abbey Pub. I haven't heard these guys, but I think the kids like 'em. Oh, and Too $hort is doing a free show next Tuesday at the Metro. I think I may try to make this one.

if your into house smartbar has a couple familar names playing. charles feelgood on sunday and miles maeda on sat. cheap cover and drink specials also. derrick carter is playing a free show on sunday at lava. thier are all kinds of corny memorial day shit as well. check metromix.com or chicagoreader.com.

Deboinair in Wicker Park probably has some sort of hip-mashuppity dancey night.

Down the street on Milwaukee ave is Evil Olive which has a housey night.

Zentra also has a house night. It's west of Wicker Park near Southport and North Ave.

Lava Lounge has Dnb.

All these places are near the wicker park area...

Around 9:30pm @ Navy Pier there's fire works...

• 5 weeks later...

Time for an update to keep this thing alive.

Went to A.Okay on the corner of Clark and School (1 block north of Belmont) yesterday. They had an alright selection of sneakers. A bunch of Alife and Clae stuff on sale. The rest of the store was a mix of graf stuff and Beabrick/toys, some decent t-shirts and even some skate decks.

I walked down to the new Belmont Army because I was there anyway. I had only been to the one in Wicker Park before, but I was actually a little surprised with some of the stuff they were carrying. They had Analog, volcom, NikeSB like you'd expect, but they were also carrying B. Son, Crate, Nice Collective, and a few different pair of Common Projects on the shoe floor. It's worth checking out if your in the area.

I'll be in Chicago for a brief 12 hours (yay stop overs) tomorrow afternoon, and want to hit some sales while I'm in town. I want to go to Moto's, but it looks like reservations are closed for years.

Does anybody know of any good sales going down currently? I am definitely stopping by Hejfina's and stopping for some pizza at Malnati's with a friend, but are there any other good sales currently?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

i though some might want to know that we have the first midwest Zara now in skokie with 2 more set to open downtown in 09. i checked it out and for those who have never been to zara ill give a quick rundown.

Lots of shoes. dress shoes,boots,metallic high tops,canvas trainers.

a variety of jackets. peacoats, overcoats,military inspired, leathers ect.

sizing is kind of odd. lots of small jackets were too small for me and i can swim in most of h&m sm's/36. tried on a dress shirt that actually fit snug in small but was just a tad too short which is kind of odd cause im only 5'11''

price points are a bit higher than h&m. some dress shirts were 60. jackets ranged from 100 for lighter ones and up to 250 for heavy long jackets. shoes were around 70 for canvas and 100+ for leather/boots ect.

Overall it reminded me of an express with smaller sizing.maybee someone who is familar with them can comment on thier quality. frequency of new new stock ect? styleforum has a bit of info....

on a unrelated note does anyone know who has the largest vans stocklists? preferably someplace that has half cabs?

i though some might want to know that we have the first midwest Zara now in skokie with 2 more set to open downtown in 09. i checked it out and for those who have never been to zara ill give a quick rundown.

sizing is kind of odd. lots of small jackets were too small for me and i can swim in most of h&m sm's/36. tried on a dress shirt that actually fit snug in small but was just a tad too short which is kind of odd cause im only 5'11''

price points are a bit higher than h&m. some dress shirts were 60. jackets ranged from 100 for lighter ones and up to 250 for heavy long jackets. shoes were around 70 for canvas and 100+ for leather/boots ect.

Overall it reminded me of an express with smaller sizing.maybee someone who is familar with them can comment on thier quality. frequency of new new stock ect? styleforum has a bit of info....

on a unrelated note does anyone know who has the largest vans stocklists? preferably someplace that has half cabs?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up, if I'm ever up in Skokie I'll check it out.

For Vans, I would try Belmont Army, Uprise or possibly St. Alfred. Although, if you're north of the city, there's a Vans flagship store in that big mall in Schaumburg, more than likely your best bet.

i though some might want to know that we have the first midwest Zara now in skokie with 2 more set to open downtown in 09.

clearly someone needs to write the skokie superguide RIGHT NOW to cash in on this wave of retail development

chapter 5: where do i buy half cabs?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure geller is only @ jake.

no.9 would be the only other place and it definitely doesn't. (neither does hefjina)

jake has such wack selection of geller stuff that I don't bother

the SAs always treat me like I'm retarded @ jake too

here we go -- cutest/coolest SAs -- where?

Guest umhaha84
I'm pretty sure geller is only @ jake.

no.9 would be the only other place and it definitely doesn't. (neither does hefjina)

jake has such wack selection of geller stuff that I don't bother

the SAs always treat me like I'm retarded @ jake too

here we go -- cutest/coolest SAs -- where?

yeah SAs at Jake are retarded,

They give me a look like i'm not good enough to shop at their store,

FAGGOTTTTT

A lot of shoes/boots are included in the barneys sale. (including lanvin hi tops and some sick ann d boots) Dior denim and most other denim is also included (not APCs though)

The saks sale is very inclusive and includes everything I could possibly want. (issey, yohji, dior, mb, commes, junya etc)

Retail sucks bad right now in chi -- nothing has been selling @ all except barney's dries buy it seems.

The saks issey buy is really sick if you're into that shit -- i guess it isn't really a sufu label...

• 1 month later...
I'm going to be in Chicago this week for work and was wondering if anything worthwhile was happenin. Sales, Rock and Roll, Bars, Etc....

Priestess is playing at the Empty Bottle on Tuesday night. I'd check that out if I were you.

-Jake

• 2 months later...