Prps

ur·ban ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ûrbn)

adj.

Of, relating to, or located in a city.

Characteristic of the city or city life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Latin urbnus, from urbs, urb-, city.]

urban

adj 1: relating to or concerned with a city or densely populated area; "urban sociology"; "urban development" 2: located in or characteristic of a city or city life; "urban property owners"; "urban affairs"; "urban manners" [ant: rural]

peace y'all!

ps: remember crosscolors!;p

Hi there.. My name is Jeremy.. You can find PRPS in the following stores in L.A. area

Politics

Up against the wall

Trafic

these 3 stores are located in Beverly Center

Hollywood Trading Company @ Fred Segal Santa Monica also carries it. I work at HTC. We are out of it now, but for sure we are getting more of it. We ship to everywhere.

Life is short, enjoy it while you can...

the fact is that the first concentration of influx of ethnic groups are placed in the urban environment called city. these compartments which are the ghettos (spatially and psychologically) are inhabited mainly by asians, blacks and latinos who mainly wear the so called "urban" brands owned by wealthy suburbanites (jews, koreans, euro-americans).

prps (purpose) is the "side" brand of donwan harell who also leads akdmks. the production guy is from 45rpm. they produce mainly in japan and china but are an american brand located in midtown nyc. the cotton only is (suppossed to be) from zimbabwe - nothing else.

in my opinion it is an URBAN brand with an higher pricepoint. and i have to say that only his 1st collection was good.

Quote:

ABLEnyc, you're such a loser. If you knew anything you'd know that urban is just an industry term for a genre of clothing that reflects a lifestyle. For the most part the surviving urban brands today were formed by black people. Maybe they should have chosen a different word for what they were doing but it is what it is. Black people & white people alike buy & wear urban clothes. Before the 90s that genre of clothing was called Ethnic. Would Ethnic make you feel any better or are you still angry? Or should it be called Hip hop clothing? Let me ask you a question. Is Puffy a midtown shithead for launching "BAD BOY LATINO"? After all he wants to market his clothes to the ever growing Latino-American community. Maybe he gathered all his people around him in his midown offices and said something like...

"How in heck can we reach those damn elusive latino kids? And those...boriquas?"

"Well, you have to take a more Latino approach, give it some salsa flair. Here, try listening to this Tego Calderon CD...it's the newest Latin music."

Look bro, if you don't like being marketed to then throw away your white airforce 1s & stop acting like everybody else. Either way your an angry loser.

--- Original message by ericpnyc on Jun 13, 2005 06:43 PM

Industry term? Oh, I had no idea they called it that! Wow, I must have been making fun of your faux hip corny ass WITHOUT A CLUE AS TO WHY! shit. whoops, man I'm sorry. and I'll have to research this "Puffy" guy you speak of...I'll get back to you. And 'boriqua,' is that like a Taco Bell thing? shit, I've only dated two latinas...maybe THIS is why they stopped callin me papi!

teach me more! please? it's interesting getting the perspective of a trendslave like yourself, trying to drop science on something you know next to nothing about, save what you get in your daily MTV News update and Source Magazine.

bitch, i'll school your naked rookie ass on anything you step with. Let's Take it Back like chiropractics and back taxes, and I'll have you smellin my socks Public Enemy & PowellPeralta stee, while you wonder what happened to your sense of self. In any realm of this 'lifestyle' you try so desperately to identify with, you are my SON. And that's just me being honest, not angry.

Urban, as urbansprawl so markedly points out, is a broad term. But when nervous shareholders who are otherwise unable to categorize a youth culture -- but need to in order to make money -- find safety (and political correctness) in words like that, and then you echo such usage in the context you did, it's almost beautiful. But who knows...sheep need to get fucked too.

case closed.

p.s. I never had AF1's, but while I'm at this...RUN YOUR DUNKS.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

i think they missed the mark as well, but not for lack of trying.

i think they attempted to take the best (or what they considered the best) elements of various denim pioneers before them (Evisu, Rogan, RRL, Levis), and thought that throwing all of those elements into the product at once would be a guaranteed sell...not sure of their numbers, but i'm willing to bet they're at least partially right.

while i don't like it so much, i can totally see the appeal for many. at the very least, it lends a feel of "there aren't many pairs of these around" laced with "we have big plans" and the execution could be much worse.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Quote:

After all the shit bagging what was the link/website for prps? I have tryed to find it before but come up empty handed. Anyone know?

--- Original message by andewhall on Jun 14, 2005 02:53 AM

ye, i've been asking that for the past two pages now...

all the swearing and name calling that has gone on has just ruined the thread and probably pushed people away from reading it...

Time spent wishing...is time wasted

Yeah I know, I have read the whole thing and can't find the link. Have been looking for their web site for ages. Hey Abel, you probably know dude!

Quote:

I'm not sure if they have one. here is an article from beinghunted:

http://www.beinghunted.com/v40/features/2005/prps/

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Jun 14, 2005 06:15 AM

cannot thank you enough there serge...

they have a catalogue of images of the PRPS line, with extensive background info on the label, including the agency rep for them in the UK...

beinghunted also have all the contact info obviously too...

cheers for your help.

http://www.brandweek.com/brandweek/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1256220

okay sure... but Donwan Harrell IS the owner/designer of Akademiks [go ahead and google him] ...

If PRPS doesn't openly advertise that their front man is aligned with Akademiks, they probably don't want it known. Being Hunted mentions his past work at Nike, perhaps hoping that that information will suffice.

yes prps is by the akademiks people. The reason that information is not heavily advertised, is because of the obvious stigma people have with the current "urban" fashion scene and even with the word urban itself. I dont feel its because the people at prps can't design, but rather because most people would sooner cut their fingers off then give props to the guy who helped create the alphabet soup jeans. I'm not saying thats people here, but maybe it is maybe it isn't, I just don't care to even think about, all I care is is it what I'm looking for, and does it represent me. Theres no need to discredit people for making clothes. why would the guys who make rogan be anymore qualified to serve that genre, all clothes are are materials and construction anyways.

I agree and disagree with the whole urban arguement here. Yeah sure some white suit somewhere now has a word to substitute now when he's too nervous to say "black", but what would be a better term for "urban" clothes? They are not of the same genre as polo and tommy, and they aren't nike and reebok, and they aren't john varvatos. They have been tagged by the region where they were directed at. Rogan, Seven, and all these other brands could be called urban too, because if you look at the stores which they stock the hardest you'll see they're in "urban" areas. Atrium which basically defines the genre most here subscribe to is no BLUE JEANS on 145th, but damn if it isn't smack dab in the middle of an "urban" emvironment

I'm not really getting involved in this whole urban thing...it seems very american too me...

All i know is, PRPS seem to have a cool outlook, with jeans that resemble blueblood in a way...and they have a pretty cool theme about them...

they look more boutique than urban to me...and i'm a buyer...

Not Only is Donwan the guy who started akademiks & PRPS but both brands are financed Eliot B. who is the owner of DR. Jays urban clothing store IN NYC (who also owns Mecca). Donwan made a business descision to diversify his portfolio. They also own the license for converse apparell (not footwear). So they touch 3 genres of clothing. Probably more to come in the future. The bottom line is that they are all diferent ventures. Maybe Don got tired of making alphabet jeans too... Whatever it is, if you like something just wear it.