ray ban wayfarers

home

seems to be about a trillion of 'em for sale on the bay, seeing as though ive only been around for so long, i'm gonna need some help finding the right model..

i'm interested in original/vintage, big-ass framed ones with the uncomfortably fashionable slant and in turtle shell

any reliable sellers going around not selling shitty fakes?

also, heard ray ban might be re-releasing the original shapes soon? i tried a pair of new ones on in sunglasses hut a few days ago, but they didn't really have that extravagent shape my dad's old pair seem to..or am i just imagining the diff shape?

help us out

thanks!

there are wayfarers I and II.

at the mall they sell the first ones i think so that would be the original.

your dad might have the otherones which are a little wider.

and wtf is this "slant" your talking about?

are you wtf kidding me?

the original wayfarers are renowned for the angle/slant/slope for which they sit out from the face. Some say this makes them a little uncomfortable, and is detrimental in its sun-blocking qualities...

there are wayfarers I and II.

I am beginning to think its a little more complicated than this..

Different styles, periods of production and sizes are confusing the hell outta me..

anyone care to share a brief chronology?

There are a ton of them out there. Vintage ones are nicer (and can be had for around $50 on eBay) because the plastic is nicer and they don't have the Ray-Ban logo on the lens and arms. Just find a seller that seems reliable. Ray Ban IIs are bigger glasses, in my experience, and have an 80s look to them. They look better on girls.

Both the originals and the IIs sit at an angle on the face (and I'd bet the crappy new Luxottica mall ones do as well).

They do come in all sorts of sizes, so if you are buying them online, it's best to get measurements.

Also, they show up at thrift stores all the time - they weren't trendy for a while in the 90s. I picked up a pair that my girlfriend stole from me just a couple of weeks ago for 99 cents. I've probably bought four or five pairs over the years.

the new reissues are available everywhere now...including the mall ;). apparently they reproduce the 1952 model "to spec". other than the fact that they have the ray ban logo on the arms of course. they're nice glasses, though.