TORONTO Meetup

axtsang

some indie cinemas around town still play city of god a couple times a year on the big screen. that film does not deserve to be watched on home theatre. ive seen it twice in cinemas and id hate to watch it any other way.

i watched oldboy recently , pretty good watch as well

Jesus that's a poorly written film.

You want good Korean cinema watch "3-iron".

Old boy is like the Boondock Saints and Fight Club of foriegn cinema rolled together.

I keep hearing good things about city of god but haven't sat down and watched it yet.

Boondock Saints and Fight Club are both hyped up way too much however.

best korean movie

taeguki

blood, war, a plot that makes hollywood jealous, and epic sets.

Oh and i almost cried at the end....almost

That movie was hilarious.

So overwrought and ridiculous and overacted.

Fucking AWESOME.

i really like oldboy but i agree its way over done. that fight scene in the hallway thats done in one take is unstoppable though.

boondock saints is my most hated of all loafs next to donnie darko and crash. god i hate that fucking film.

i havnt been up on much contemporary foreign films lately because ive been revisiting alot of classics. just go to queen video and raid the japanese section.

oh yeah, fight club sucks as a film, but is amazing as a cultural commentary piece. hollywood fucked it up large, but the book and finchers directing were awesome. all other books written by that dude are wack as fuck though.

The more I see Bernal, the more I enjoy his acting.

I just wish Amores Perros wasn't so bland during some parts. The old, dog lady almost put me to bed.

the dog theme was a major part of why i love the movie so much. when you say old dog lady do you mean the model whose dog got lost under the floor? that was probably the least effective of the character arcs, but it was by no means bad. if you were being clever and actually meant the old man, ex assasin guy, youre fucking nuts. his plotline was incredible and the way the dogs related to his story was mesmerizing. i hope you meant the ex model.

sean: la haine is proably the best film ive seen in the past five years. i cant beleive i never saw it before jodie foster made criterion put it out. its fucking flawless. the camera work in that film is exceptional. it trumps any american "ghetto" film by miles for its honesty. makes menace to society look like a harry potter film.

everytime i pick up blow up at the store i find some silly ass guilty pleasure dvd to buy instead. i mean, theres nothing wrong with black ceasar, its fucking stellar, but shit like that is keeping me from a classic and theres nothing i can do about it.

biz: la haine is avaiable at hmv on criterion dvd for 37.99, down from the 69.99 i paid when it came out. buy the fucker. it is subtitled. if you can find a single flaw in that film that isnt a feminist complaint, i will suck your dick the next time i see you as reimbursement. way homo. id stake my first born on that being your new favorite movie.