lee 101z and 101j beatles replica

fardin

hi

i am new here

has anyone here heared of the beatles replica lee 101j and 101z 1966 limted edition.

they sell it on oipoloi, and its limited to 1001 pieces.

i cant find any infos anywhere else.

does anyone know more about it?

and what picture of the beatles are they referring to?

here is a link to the oipolloi shop

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Lee-101JLtd.Edition1966JacketIndigoDry-1566.html

by the way why does nobody post some pics of their 101j?

My pair arrived this morning . These are really neat jeans and a good repro of a mid sixties 101z . The denim is quite dark and heavier than the gold label 101z , close to the Edwin repros quality. Will post some pics later when i get a chance .

As for the Beatles connection , no mention of this on the box or any of the accompanying paperwork or wrapping .

well i wrote oipolloi about the 101j jacket.and they put up a size chart because the sizes usually are different from the tag size. so they are really helpfull.

about the picture they said they dont really know and lee japan is not allowed to use the beatles pic for legal reasons. so i guess we will never know.

even paulT wrote me he does not know of such a pic, and since he wrote a beatles book ( wich i recommend highly) he must know. so it will stay a mistery.

but many stars wore the jeans and the jacket. there a many pics of mcqueen, brando,dennis hopper etc wearing it.

best

i wonder if there is a real difference between the 1966 and the 1959 or 1952 101z

I have considered purchasing the Edwin/Lee 1952 101z from Aero but any pictures I have seen of these they look a fuller cut than I want (if anyone could prove me wrong please do) At 5ft 7" and 180lb a 34" waist the Levi 1955 501xx is full enough for me . The 1966 101z repro is similar to a 501xx 1947 in cut which suits me fine . I have always been a fan of Lee jeans and have had a few 101js also but again the short length of the jacket dosent really suit my shape .

If anyone is looking for comparisons to 1960s 101z try www.lubys-tokyo.com . They have a stack of vintage Levis , Lee etc..which are really cool , even just to drool over !!!

i am about to order a lee 101z 52 , but i am going to orer it in japan, its much cheaper. from what i know the 52 101z is a straight cut some even call it slim, so i guess its more like the 47 501, the 55 501 is really fuller.

well i guess i am the oposite i like fully jeans and shorter jackets. i think the 101j from oipoloi is not really short, its 61 cm wich is really not short. i have the 101j from earo wich is shorter its 58,5 cm and i think it could even be a bit shorter. but lee japan does not make em shorter then that.

if anyone wants to order from japan i can recommend two stores, both are really nice.

http://www.pants-shop-avenue.com/index.html,

http://www.jeans-neshi.com/

neshi is very fast, i have ordered 3 levis there and they arrived just 4 days later!!!!!!!!!

both are really nice and sip international

Forgot to mention that the good stuff is on the www.lubys-tokyo.com US VINTAGE/MILITARY tab .

Might give the Edwin/Lee 1952s a try , but I am concerned as to wether the leg length may shrink or not . I wouldnt like to have to hem them and screw up the cut and leave them like clown pants :D The 1966 at 34" leg are slim and cuffed look great , even with short legs , but the 1952 come in at 36" and the shrinkage/non shrinkage bothers me .

Anyway , will try to get some good pics sorted and post them .

yes there is really good stuff, but many things are already sold out. the shoes and boots are also great.

neshi from japan wrote me that the 101z 52 is 36,5 before and 34,5 after washing

i cant prove it i havent ordered them yet. i might next week.

best

• 2 months later...

Can any of you good folks help me out here? I just want to know what LENGTH the legs of the 1966 Lee repros shrink too.

Does anyone else fancy having a "What size do the shrink-to-fits shrink to" thread? (or am I blind?)

I saw them today in the Lee store on Carnaby St and they look GOOD! And you've got to love the way those Lee repros wear in...

super links, that BIg John 'craft series' looks nice...

Forgot to mention that the good stuff is on the www.lubys-tokyo.com US VINTAGE/MILITARY tab

god, you arent kidding! some of that stuff is sooo rare, and they've got/had incredible pieces. some of that 40s navy denim stuff is insane, as is the 40s field/deck jackets. i drooled all over my keyboard, again. great stuff, thanks for this!

Nightdeposit , some serious shit .... I like the field jackets too . I wear daily either an Alpha Industries modern M65 or a British Army 1960 patttern olive combat jacket (This one is dated to 1967 , i got it unworn of ebay last year for £22 !!! fantastic style and quality)

The 1966 101z is a slim cut , not unlike the Levi 501xx 1947 . You can view it at the link below alongwith a pic of the Beatles from 1966 in a Lee advert !!!

www.triads.co.uk/designer-clothing/mens/casual/denim/lee-riders-101-z-denim-jeans.htm

Although Aeroleather has them at £120 !!

Modernlover ,

Firstly the waist stretched as expected from raw so I stuck them on a 60 degree fast wash (no detergent) and the waist came back to size but the legs came down to 32 1/2 . The leg length suits me but if this was a problem I reckon they could be stretched out .

Cheers Mike, that's good info.

I tried them on today in the Lee shop, and A 32" waist it is then (I never thought I'd see the day again...)

As I am afflicted with a bad case of Englisman's leg, 32.5" is still a bit long so maybe I'll get 'em chopped - for any of you out there who are similarly stumpy, Aeroleather reckon they can re-hem jeans perfectly. I will report back if I find out!

• 4 weeks later...
well i wrote oipolloi about the 101j jacket.and they put up a size chart because the sizes usually are different from the tag size. so they are really helpfull.

about the picture they said they dont really know and lee japan is not allowed to use the beatles pic for legal reasons. so i guess we will never know.

even paulT wrote me he does not know of such a pic, and since he wrote a beatles book ( wich i recommend highly) he must know. so it will stay a mistery.

The pic was used by Lee Sweden as mentioned elsewhere and Lee Carnaby St told me they were not allowed to promote the Beatles link - but if you want to see the Beatles in action in the denim check out the movie Help! - lots of shots.

Harrison's are bleached!

Aeroleather reckon they can re-hem jeans perfectly. I will report back if I find out!

Are you talking to them about this? would be good to find out. Presumably they'll only chainstitch the jeans they sell!@!

Well, the hems on the 1966 101zs aren't chainstitched in the first place, so I'll be bloody annoyed if Aeroleather do chainstitch them!

I'm assuming they mean they can match the thread colour, weight and stitching size, though they have said they can chainstitch LVC Levis but only if you buy them there - they insisted there would be no demand for mail-order chainstitching!

There's a tailor in soho who uses genuine Levi thread for his hems, but can't do chainstitch and can't use it on both sides, so if you flip your hem it still looks like the usual bog-standard dry-cleaner hem.

Will report back... ordering this weekend!

i know the beatles wore the jackets and jeans as the beatles, but many pictures from early beatles (pre-beatlemania, hamburg era) are hard to come by. there is a picture somewhere of the ad for the original beatles jacket and jeans combo, ive seen it (beatles memorablia site somewhere, must have closed down, since i can't find it), and i imagine this "repro" is from the very beginning of beatlemania, so their overlooked as opposed to the beatles later and more signature looks. regardless, heres a quarrymen picture:

1960-beatles-hamburg_germany.jpg

I have a scary amount of Beatles stuff here (ie films / books / bootlegs).

I'm going to go through and pull some pics and sling them in this thread - it seems it would be mildly entertaining but shout loud and fast if that's a waste of the resources and maybe I'll not bother posting ;-)

AM after Lennon's "instant karma' Levis jacket (type and wash) so the research needs doing anyhow ;-)

My 1966 101j arrived this morning (Triads) - bought large, jacket fine fine, sleeves a good cuff too long though. Will one-wash the starch out and then break the thing in without too many washes. Shame there was no booklet etc in the box either about the jacket or the Beatles link (although I knew that wasn't going to be allowed and in there).

hows the fit - slim or standard? i've been looking for a nice slim fit denim jacket for a while. also are the sleeves longer than normal, cause im a tall/long guy, so long sleeves for cuffing would be awesome.

I went large - normally buy a 42" chest to 'fit' and it buttons up fine without being at all baggy. I'd say slim rather than standard but am in no way experienced re the cuts of other styles/brands.

You're in luck on the sleeves, mine are a touch too long and my arms normally are long enough for 'normal' fitting stuff (NB not a big denim buyer thus far so this is based on G9's etc).

One warm soak for an hour and it's still very starchy and ready to start being worked on.

Hope that helps! Can post some snaps of it once-soaked and left to dry if that'll help?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i just got a pair of the '66 101z's at the lee factory outlet near me, £20, the only fault is a tiny nick in the stitching in the waistband. i was wondering tho..are they made in japan? because mine say "made i Poland" but are exactly like the ones in oi polloi and aeroleather and all the other websites that?

thanks

• 3 months later...

Can anyone with a 101J tell me how much they shrink after a soak/wash? Pre and post-soak measurements would be great if anyone has them...

I'm interested in buying one, just unsure whether to buy a M or a L...

Thanks in advance