REBEL APE. huh?

ABELnyc

so i'm still getting emails from digital gravel...

i see they claim that a new line Rebel Ape is Ssur's 'offshoot' line?

is this true? either way, what the fuck's the deal? the shit looks semi weak, i'm praying it's not Russ' thing.

discusso.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Edited by ABELnyc on May 29, 2005 at 11:54 AM

well i only care because of the litany i typed about how 'the man' Ssur is (see "Keepin it..." thread), then i see this new shit, and it's like Obey (over it) meets Bape (snore) meets recycled Russ images.

and the Urban Outfitters (agreed, wack) thing is only cuz Russ' partner in crime Kevin Lyons (Natural Born, Atlantis) is head Art Director at Urban Outfitters. He used to be some top level art direction cat at Nike, but bounced for whatever reason.

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

For shame? who do you work for?

Why is this a bad thing? Does anyone here have a family? or is everyone single in a studio apt with a dope sneaker and denim collection?

You'd actually be pretty shocked to see who has / is coming out of there. Many have their own lines and dp graphics for some of the cool guy shirts people on here buy.

As many on here know, you can't eat on cool guy t-shirt sales.

rebel ape stuff is pretty lame , but it seems Russ had to do something for the mass market after the demand for the "che ape" was so high. it doesn't graphically affect anything else he's doing with his other labels.

Kevin Lyons been with Urban Outfitters for a long fucking time, so it's not like he just jumped on board and brought some Rebel Ape tees with him. You don't see him dragging his Natural Born stuff there do ya?

Respect due to anyone who can indeed eat off of this. Urban Outfitters has nothing to do with Russ' or his brands' cred at all. It doesn't bother me that it's sold there. SSUR is a top label in my opinion, he and Kevin can do whatever they want without diluting an 'image' or whatever. I guess maybe liking a brand too much can unreasonably raise your expectation level too high.

And if Che Ape sold so well, all he had to do was stick with what he'd been doing for the last 6-7 yrs. He already has the CheApe logo, the Apethoven, blah blah. Another ape, another Planet of the Apes reference wouldn't exactly make me question his catalogue...but taking an already existing identity and calling it something else...just seems unlike him, them, whatever.

Put it this way: if it wasn't Ssur's brand, and instead it was some new kids, everyone on this board would call them out on being a jack move bite of Ssur, would you not?

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

The Rebel Ape image actually isn't the same old Che/Ape image Ssur has used for ages. It was changed for legal reasons. So while it does look similiar, technically Rebel Ape isn't reusing the old Ssur graphic for the line. If anyone deserves to cash in on the ape craze at this point who hasn't, it's Ssur.

Old Che/Ape

img10211003870.jpeg

New Rebel Ape

ra-t-off-wht0.jpg

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Jun 1, 2005 at 09:51 AM

and by the way...what legal reasons? Ok, Russ, we're sending you a cease and desist letter for jacking Che's image and mixing with the ape face. So we'd like you to instead stay within legal boundaries and just STRAIGHT JACK another ape from Planet...that's much better.

Besides, my man has flipped more logos that anyone here can shake a stick at. I don't think his first concern is the legality of an image.

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Well I think its lame as Hell & until I found out it's your boys shit I thought it was the lamest jack move & since I've learned it's (in fact) your boy I think it's a complete sell out move & I'm bummed just like you Abel.

It's like, I def think Rogan is lame for dealing with Bono on that EDUN shit (& that's a friendly analogy, I could come up with much worse)!

I'm not able to separate lines like that. I tend to look at an entire portfolio...

Yeah yeah get your money but WOW...

-Dub

agreed, that the right to cash in on something shouldn't be taken away. i've always thought Russ deserves every penny he makes, however inflated this market gets, as he's really paid his dues. but as for this being 'something different', i just don't see a substantive difference...whatever.

either way, i am willing to bet his '05 summer (Ssur) line is fire as usual, so yeah. i'm done complaining.

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Abel: I'm telling you what Russ told me. I don't know any of the details, or what was in any legal papers or if there were any.

This shit happens all the time and will continue to happening, I don't know why you find it so suspect? I'm not a lawyer, but i've worked in liscensing so I know how these things usually go down. Bigger companies don't like something they own the copyright to used in anyway without their permission and being paid for it ... even if you do so legally. If they have the time and resources they'll Bark at you untill they scare you into stoppingor force you to waste time and money you don't have going to court to prove what you did is legal as punishment. Making your life hellish for a few years is no skin off their nose since they're already paying an army of lawyers to interpret the law to suit their needs.

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Jun 1, 2005 at 12:01 PM

no i didn't mean to imply that i didn't believe you. i just think it's a bullshit case and Russ would totally win. Based on what I know about Copyright (I am a lawyer) I don't think the Che fam would stand a chance.

i'll talk to Russ about it, I guess. thx tho...

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

No, Russ wouldn't necessarily win. Even if the Che image has reached such considerable public recognition. It's like this - although most people on this board would totally see a difference between Russ' graphic and the o.g. Che imagery, 99.9% of the rest of the world still think of Che when they see that graphic. Copyright infringement is based on Likelihood of Confusion, which there definitely is here.

Anyways, im sure Che's estate has MAD loot to hire big-gun lawyers. Not worth Russ' time, money, or effort.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com