Drum N Bass

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can somebody explain the usefulness of the MC?

i love dnb, and absolutely hate MC's...they ruin the set for me, but i cant seem to find very many sets without one.

theyre supposed to hype the crowd...

I usually like them for oldschool as long as they actually spit most of the time and arent just doing shoutouts and other BS.

it would make more sense to you if you're there.

When you're just listening to a mix, like on you're ipod, they're obviously, extremely annoying.

Hence the reason why I don't listen to much dnb live mixes anymore.

Even radio mixes are taken down by the dj talking over the music way to much.

you make a good point, keagan....i actually saw pendulum (and some other dnb djs) do a live dj set this summer, and the mc wasnt quite as bad as i thought he would be, although he also wasnt there for more than half of each set.

but unfortunately, my current location confines me to listening only on my ipod/computer from sets i download :(

edit: just wanted to thank everyone who posted links...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a brand new fanu mix just got posted.

http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vZmFudW11c2ljLmNvbS9taXhlcy9GYW51JTIwTGl2ZSUyMGF0JTIwRlVaWiUyMDglMjBZciUyMEFubml2ZXJzYXJ5JTIwLSUyMFBpdHRzYnVyZ2glMjBNYXklMjA3JTIwMjAwOC5tcDM=

1 - Martsman & Bad Matter - Cold Love (Lightless)

2 - Sileni - Black Rocket (Offshore)

3 - Hi-Lar - Back On Trip - XLC remix (Offshore)

4 - Fanu - Amok (Lightless dub)

5 - Cartridge - End Of The World (Freak)

6 - Theory - Pictures, Shapes and Patterns (dub)

7 - Theory - Silent Witness (Soothsayer)

8 - Silentium - Hangman's Lullaby - Fanu remix (Lightless dub)

9 - SuMoNe - Energy Crust (dub)

10 - Dub-1 - Pressure of 1000 (dub)

11 - Fanu - Jungle Got No Ranks (Make-Shift Dub)

12 - Sight Unseen - Decompression (Cylon dub)

13 - Sight Unseen - Precipitate (dub)

14 - Fracture & Neptune - Killerwhat (Play:Musik)

15 - MC System - River Journey (dub)

16 - NSF - Come Back (dub)

17 - Resound - Ghetto Funk (dub?)

18 - Resound - Second Thoughts (Secret Operations)

19 - Pish Posh - Corrupt Cops - Evol Intent Cream VIP

20 - Icicle - Final Exit (Cylon dub)

21 - Fanu - Where It Rains Blood (Lightless dub)

22 - Le Tigre - Deceptacon

23 - Lemon D - Manhattan Melody (Hardleaders)

24 - Vector Burn - Seven Thorns (dub)

25 - Fanu - For Those Who Dream (Vector Burn rmx) (Lightless dub)

26 - DJ Swift - 2nd Strike (True Playaz)

27 - 0=0 - In Your Eyes (Planet Mu)

28 - ASC - Resolution remix (Warm Communications)

29 - Jonny L - Sight Unseen

30 - Swift - Analogue (Suburban Bass)

31 - Stranjah - Trance Out (dub)

32 - Stranjah & Swervez - Cry 4 U (Lightless dub)

33 - Stranjah - 40 Days (Lightless dub)

34 - Instra:Mental - Sakura (Darkestral dub)

dope....cheers dude. will grab that when my connection is off-peak.

fanu is killer, looks like theres a lot more 'straighforward' dancefloor tunes there compared to what he normally plays. surprised to see 'corrupt cops' and lemon d tunes on there.

• 3 weeks later...

hey jpgm or whoever else likes D+B, I just put up a special interview + mix with none other than Ms. DJ Storm :o

>> click here <<

ps - the mix is great. I don't have a tracklist thus far but trust me, if you're a Storm fan it's more than worth a listen! feel free to leave some love for Storm or for my interview in the comments :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for drum n bass that's closer to either.. i don't know how to describe it.. "liquid" or "hip-hop"? For example, I've been listening to High Contrast's "Tough Guys Don't Dance" and 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' seems to me kind of "hip hop" whereas 'Tread Softly' was "liquid". The appeal of DnB to me, predominately a hiphop fan (for example, I enjoy stuff like RJD2, Pete Rock, NUJABES, etc.. for instrumental hip hop) is that it's like hip hop.. but way faster. I don't particularly like the "jungle" or "grunge" or "acid" -type of DnB.

With that said, I've looked into High Contrast, Logistics, and Pendulum.. what's next?

FAKE EDIT1: at 2am i'm not entirely coherent or succinct. this post falez. sawriez

Does anyone have any suggestions for drum n bass that's closer to either.. i don't know how to describe it.. "liquid" or "hip-hop"? For example, I've been listening to High Contrast's "Tough Guys Don't Dance" and 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' seems to me kind of "hip hop" whereas 'Tread Softly' was "liquid". The appeal of DnB to me, predominately a hiphop fan (for example, I enjoy stuff like RJD2, Pete Rock, NUJABES, etc.. for instrumental hip hop) is that it's like hip hop.. but way faster. I don't particularly like the "jungle" or "grunge" or "acid" -type of DnB.

With that said, I've looked into High Contrast, Logistics, and Pendulum.. what's next?

FAKE EDIT1: at 2am i'm not entirely coherent or succinct. this post falez. sawriez

definetly NOT pendulum....try older Brockie x Det sets from around 1998

Anyone on the label Hospital Records, then, really. There also are newer guys like Icicle who are doing something similar to how you describe as well. There isn't much good hiphop oriented d+b around these days but there is a ton of that sort of funky liquid style that you describe.

You might even try listening to old stuff off the label, Metalheadz, because about a decade ago, they were the masters of the smooth but hiphop influenced d+b.... albums like Platinum Breakz.

but for now... I'd suggest current labels such as Hospital, Med School, Critical, etc. and artists like Kasra, Cyantific, Atlantic Connection, Danny Byrd, etc.

definetly NOT pendulum....

Well, to be honest, Pendulum seemed pop/mainstream enough for me to really get "into" d+b. The first d+b song I really liked was actually a Squarepusher tune, "My Red Hot Car" haha. I realize now that Pendulum doesn't compare to other d+b cats..

*helpful suggestions here*
get in with some goodlooking records and ltj
breakbeat.co.uk

dogsonacid.com

ftw!

Thanks, everyone.. I'll be checking this thread more often now!

On a side note: listening to liquid drum n bass while driving on the freeway at 2am in the morning feels really good. :o

^ brane... I am the content editor of dogsonacid.com and update the audio section as well. if you ever have questions about anything, you can PM me here and I can try to help my best. the DJ Storm mix I just posted is good but not sure it'd be your cup of tea. :P I am going to be posting a Kasra (owner of Critical Recs) mix soon, which will most likely be more up your alley. I'll post the link in here when I get it posted.

here is a recent Logtistics mix if you haven't already heard it.

interesting to know that inaya. where are you located??

I caught London Elektricity, Klute and Danny Byrd last weekend.

London Elektricity was awful, clanging loads of mixes generally playing the same ol' hospital recycled tunes.

Klute on the other hand was a monster. Perfect mixing and the tune selection was evil. Nasty horrible bass for an hour and a half, managing to drop some old dillinja aswell as showcasing someo of his new tunes. Klute is a badman!

Danny Byrd seems to have changed up his style aswell, last time I saw him he played a lot of jump up. This time round he was much deeper, still some quality mixing seems to take from LE's style of bringing tunes in and out very quickly only the factor Byrds mixes actually work! He also seemed to be using some Hip Hop samples before he would bring a tune in, surprising cause it didn't look like he was using Serato or anything?

Appleblim was representing the dubstep camp and came with a deep minimal selection to begin with and built the set up finishing with some big joker tunes!

R.A.W. tends to play a lot of jump up / hip hop.

metalheadz / ltj.... blech. maybe some of the prototype era grooverider or 4 hero two pages... even t-power ffs.

anyway i just wanted to commemorate my rediscovery of spring heel jack's busy curious thirsty, possibly the best techstep album qua album

more to the subject at hand the fanu v klute commercial suicide joint was craze. up there with some of the more outre paradox tracks on renegade hardware in terms of intensity and density.

that is all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am completely ignorant. Just found this thread, and thought I'd ask a silly question. I used to listen to something people were calling "dark jungle" back when I listened to D&B (1997-1999). I fucking loved it, but couldn't find much for a while. Is that kind of really bass heavy, hard, fast, not-remotely-fucking-jumpup or hiphoppy or videogamey kind of D&B still being produced? What labels should I check out?

Sorry for the dumbshit question.