Heading to HK...

Analyst

I'm heading to Hong Kong this weekend to see the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens matches and spend a few extra days hanging out in the city.

I'm planning on just eating a lot of dim sum, duck, congee and dumplings and checking out the usual places: Take5, TST, Causeway Bay, Mongkok, etc.

Any other suggestions on places to hangout at night? Archives indicated Lai Kwai Fong and also Dragon-I. Any other places worth checking out? I'm probably more interested in the less obvious but otherwise chill places. For example, more Escobar or Escudo rather than Bed Supperclub in Bangkok. Thanks....

not all night-friendly, haven't found many places that peak my interest (and thin wallet) but i liked these:

- retrostone for peeking at their selection of worn levis...expensive but worth a look (causeway bay)

- page one for their awesome selection of architecture, graphic design, interior design, photography books (times square @ causeway bay or tsim sa tsi) and books in english

- seibu - jp dept store but worth a look for brands like carpe diem (causeway bay or @ pacific place in admiralty)

- muji - jp store that is the ikea of clothing, although they also do home furnishing, stationary, and dry goods. clean lines and muted colors make for nice, stylish basics

- island beverly - mostly chick clothing but some men's street wear. they had some swear ripoffs last time i saw. (causeway bay)

- pacific place - chichi mall that is worth a visit (admiralty)

- hk international film fest - cheap tix and great movies. you can pick up a thick magazine of all their showings at most theaters. (http://www.hkiff.org.hk/)

actually, i have a few more days myself so does anyone recommend any good warehouse/factory outlets?

isnt the comme des garcon store opening this weekend or something like that?

Wan Chai got some nice PR Joints.... hot girls to take home... =)

theres a club on Nathan Road in TST... its right across from Kowloon Park... the guys dress in stuff from SuFu and/or Hypebeast.... alot of drugs goin on in there though

comme des garcon will move their chai wan store to central on march 31st.

if you're looking for more chill places, i would avoid both LKF and wan chai at all costs during rugby sevens. you're not going to find chill there, especially with the drunk rugby hooligans in town. when i was there last year, we almost got into a number of fights with some drunk australians in LKF. its going to be a madhouse.

for more chill, i would suggest the continental diamond plaza building which is on hennessey road about a few buildings to the left of sogo's main entrance. there are several floors of nice lounges on the higher levels and you can bar hop going floor to floor. there is another building in causeway bay that's near the times square building, but i don't know the name.. i only know the location if i'm walking around myself. if i find out, i'll let you know.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A few years ago, I also checked out the SkyBar on the top floor of the Sheraton in TST. Nice view and quiet chill scene. Should be fun! Thanks again!

• 5 months later...
Where's the best park/rural area to check out? New Territories? Aberdeen Coutry Park?

Has anyone been to Repulse Bay? Is there much to do there?

i'm not sure about the parks, although there's a lot of trails on the southside of the island around tai tam. when i used to go to school there, i remember being able to hike to a natural spring with a small waterfall where you could go swimming. i also remember doing a day's hike and there was a hidden beach with powdery sand. i think with a bit of research online, you could find some really good trails.

as for repulse bay, its a nice stop but not for too long. its a pretty lousy beach. crappy sand and the water isn't clear. but if you're just lookin to lay out, then go ahead. you can also continue down to stanley and shop at the tourist markets. there's also some good beachfront bars and restaurants in that area too.

who the hell would go to macau for gardens? haha.

Macau is one of the best places for taking a guys' trip, as in "no GFs allowed." It's definitely going to be one of the stops on the bachelor party tour.

Some to dos:

Gambling at the Sands

Afterhours at the Hotel Lisboa basement

Exploring the talent at the various MPs

i'm not sure about the parks, although there's a lot of trails on the southside of the island around tai tam. when i used to go to school there, i remember being able to hike to a natural spring with a small waterfall where you could go swimming. i also remember doing a day's hike and there was a hidden beach with powdery sand. i think with a bit of research online, you could find some really good trails.

as for repulse bay, its a nice stop but not for too long. its a pretty lousy beach. crappy sand and the water isn't clear. but if you're just lookin to lay out, then go ahead. you can also continue down to stanley and shop at the tourist markets. there's also some good beachfront bars and restaurants in that area too.

I thought there are sharks off the beach of HK and you are advised not to go into the waters if you have cuts or are menstruating?

• 2 months later...