Ann Arbor

illspent

Just got a job there and trying to figure the place out before I get there - any tips? I know its a tiny college town, hyperintellectual, expensive...hoping there are some hidden gems for shopping, food, music, art etc. to keep from getting depressed. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

That's not entirely true. Ann Arbor is only a 2 minutes away from one of the nicest bowling alleys in the country. A2 also is home of Blimpy Burger, Jerusalem Garden and NY Pizza Depot.

Also, the Deja Vu in ypsilanti has some of the sluttiest dancers and delicious lunch buffets any mamary mecca has to offer.

i lived in ann arbor for almost 9 years. stick with jerusalem garden for middle eastern, eastern accents for bebimbop and treats, encore for records/cds, bars...well after the del rio closed it's been all downhill, coffee and brunch at cafe zola, groceries at peoples food co-op, indian buffet at raja rani but indian dinners at shalimar, burgers at blimpy, fine dining at bella ciao, liquor at main st.party store or village corner, outside drinking on the traintracks behind the ymca, living in the old west side (avoid anything if you are not a student east of main street. be warned)., etc...if i think of anything more i'll post it.

Encore/Underground sounds for records

Totoro/Sadako for sushi

Backroom/NYPD for pizza

Zingermans if you want to drop 15 bucks for a sandwich

Basically i'm just repeating everything people have said already. Been living here for 15 years....lets just say its not that exciting for the 20's crowd but it's probably the best place in the world to raise a family.

i miss the old record stores that used to be on state street and liberty. i used to pick up all my hip-hop records from the place above espresso royale - where that vintage clothes store is now - and there was a place where schoolkid's records (annex? i forget) used to be after they got kicked out... that carried hip-hop and jungle vinyl...

there was a decent place under afternoon delight that sold hip-hop as well.... now there's only encore left. wtf.

Isn't the one by afternoon delight Underground Sounds?

For coffee in ann arbor the best in my opinion is caribou coffee or this one drive through joint. Pricey, but it's decent brew. I rarely drink coffee so when I do I like a decent cup.

And knucks....shit man. Sushi.com is narsty. Stick with Totoro and Sadako. Much, much better.

• 4 months later...

this is a terribly late bump, though I hope drunkenness wil excuse it.

rendezvous café on south university, if you're looking for coffee and cigarettes. across from smoke-a-hookah (probably cheapest cigarettes you can hope for besides Champions next to Village Corner) near east university.

God, does anybody know anything that's in anyway after-hours on the weekend? because everything ends at two-o'clock, including parties.

man i'm mad drunk too mn too, but i'm sober enogha to realizei that rendevouz is a fuckin ripoff man,..just buy your own shit and buy the shisha yourself....

nobody goes to rendezvous for the hookah, buddy. you can smoke inside and they don't mind if you sit there for an ungodly long period of time.

Don't the 4 or 5 hot girls on campus goto rendezvous to read and shit?

Yes. Re: pizza at champs, I don't think so.

this is a terribly late bump, though I hope drunkenness wil excuse it.

rendezvous café on south university, if you're looking for coffee and cigarettes. across from smoke-a-hookah (probably cheapest cigarettes you can hope for besides Champions next to Village Corner) near east university.

God, does anybody know anything that's in anyway after-hours on the weekend? because everything ends at two-o'clock, including parties.

there's a great weekly at vinology....

au jus and dj fuzzylogic

juicy @ vinology

110 s. main st.

saturdays 10-2a

21+

no cover

ends at 2am though. but it's a hell of a lot better than Ricks / Live / Rush St. / Necto / et al. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
i miss the old record stores that used to be on state street and liberty. i used to pick up all my hip-hop records from the place above espresso royale - where that vintage clothes store is now - and there was a place where schoolkid's records (annex? i forget) used to be after they got kicked out... that carried hip-hop and jungle vinyl...

there was a decent place under afternoon delight that sold hip-hop as well.... now there's only encore left. wtf.

The store you're referring to was "Dubplate Pressure" run by Todd Osbourn AKA SOUNDMURDER!!! WHO RUN TINGS???? :P :p

Oddly enough a buddy of mine has all of his old records that didn't sell sitting in his mom's basement lol...