what are you eating today?

soepom

I made a butternut squash and tomato curry soup, with coconut milk and all sorts of other goodies. Went absolutely amazingly with a grilled cheese sandwich. Now I'm making my pumpkin pie, for the first time with fresh pumpkin. It wasn't looking like it would be successful until I threw the pie filling in the blender to smooth it all out. Pie crust is freezing, so I'll throw up some pie pictures later.

mom is finally back from her trip, time for some home-made chinese food :)

Can you please ask her the best rice to use for fried rice? I've been using jasmine, but it doesn't seem right. Sushi is entirely too sticky. Hell, ask if she'll give me her fried rice recipe. Mine is ghetto as fuck.

you need cooked, day old longrain rice.

fried rice was originally devised to clear up on leftovers. so they just used yesterday's rice with whatever was available. if you ate old rice with reheated food, it just wasn't as good. rice seems dead, plus you clearly remember last's night's flavours. but if you fried it all up, tada, its like a new dish and it tastes good.

the old rice serves a real purpose. to fry the rice well, you want well glossed individual grains, coated with egg if you're doing it that way. if your rice is fresh, chances are it has a good amount of moisture on it or worse, steam. you'll prolly get big clumps. if you used shortgrain rice, its way too sticky. if you used 1-3 day old rice, or at least let your rice cool off and dry up a bit, you might get better results.

the other thing to do is to use a really hot wok/pan and toss the rice well. this helps to seperate individual grains better.

Dinner

82sdpjd.jpg

Amuse bouche - Tomato gazpacho with basil foam

8btn5n8.jpg

(R-L) Egg custard with marinated ikura, pan fried sweetbread with green foam curry, foie gras brulee

6u9rqld.jpg

Slow-cooked ocean trout with potato mousseline and avruga caviar

8fcdkps.jpg

Bailing mushroom risotto with black truffle

8f9zq5g.jpg

Cappellini with poultry jus and Alba white truffle

6ltn82a.jpg

Steamed prawn mousse with shiso cosomme

8ekg512.jpg

Classic onion soup served in crusty bread loaf

854r1q8.jpg

Pepper-crusted Australian venison loin with Brussel sprouts, pumpkin puree and coffee jus

6jv1gz4.jpg

Melted Vacherin Mont d'or with la rette potato and mache salad

86p07mc.jpg

(R-L) Baked Araguani chocolate soup with Grand Marnier, chocolate terrine and milk shake

Mash potato (made from actual potato, none of this Smash stuff!), steamed veg, liver and bacon swimming in homemade gravy. Perfect for a winter evening.

wyet34.jpg

Mmm........a good British meal.

Bonus points if you headbutted someone and smashed a pint glass on your face after eating this.

word! my friends told me that jaymee ong worked at some bar in southern california. maybe her acting career didn't go so well :(

yeah it actually didn't! closest she ever came to the big screens were cameos in the tv series vegas and the movie pearl habor as a nurse. after that she realised she couldn't crack hollywood, and headed back to asia (singapore)...doing some hosting jobs and small tv roles.

she's still mad fine though. mad mad fine.

i just had a peanut butter and jelly made with this shit, smuckersgoobergrapeip6.jpg

do not recommend teh consistency of it is weird.

i actually prefer goober over actual pb and jelly... but only on toasted bread. on spongy bread some good old fashioned pb and jelly or pb with banana slices are delectable.

grilled cheese with red pepper hummus sandwich

celery sticks with pb

dolsot bibimbab

saints alp mocha with tapioca