Sign in to follow this  
Joel_Cairo

J-horror recs?

Just saw Infection, Audtion and 3 extremes over the weekend. Wild. Since sufu seems to have lots of japanese members, anybody got tips on what else to check out?

Not really horror, but definetely check out Tetsuo.

Freakiest thing I've ever seen.

For a more realistic horror drama check out Onibaba.

The Ring triology goes with out saying. I enjoyed Suicide Club (Jisatsu Sakaru/Circle) I can't remember anything off the top of my head. Lots of J-horror has been remade for America.

^ i'll never forget the first scene in suicide club whereby schoolgirls jump on the tracks as the train is approaching.

if you liked audition, do check out other takashi miike's films - visitor q, ichi the killer, dead or alive to name a few that i've watched and "enjoyed"

^

honestly, after watching visitor q i felt like washing my eyes with soap. takeshi miike is wack, but in a morbidly entertaining sort of way.

^

honestly, after watching visitor q i felt like washing my eyes with soap. takeshi miike is wack, but in a morbidly entertaining way.

tell me about it. Since seeing it, I just haven't been able to enjoy necrophilia or incest or heroin or breast milk or sodomy with a microphone like I used to.

the original ring trilogy.

the girl crawling out of the tv will not be come as surprise to anyone anymore, but it still can shock.

also ring 3 or ring 0, cant remember, but when the main character is climbing out of the well. that shit is not nice.

also cant remember the title, but theres a japanese film where a single mother lives in an aprtment and the lift is haunted or something. v. atmospheric

I've only seen Cure and Infection. Cure was my favorite of the two, since it had this weird lonely feeling to it and didn't involve green ooze. can anybody recommend other movies with the similar atmosphere/feel to them?

I tried watching Kwaidan, but it was just too old to hold my attention, despite the critical acclaim

Guest jmatsu

check out midnighteye.com

for some great japanese films. not all horror though.

Guest jmatsu

Wild Zero is funny and so rock and roll it might kill you.

?

tokyo zombie isn't so rock n roll, but very good.

asano is in it, if that matters to anyone.

Guest jmatsu
I've only seen Cure and Infection. Cure was my favorite of the two, since it had this weird lonely feeling to it and didn't involve green ooze. can anybody recommend other movies with the similar atmosphere/feel to them?

I tried watching Kwaidan, but it was just too old to hold my attention, despite the critical acclaim

doppleganger also staring yakusho koji

the story of ricky: ricky-oh, some maad chinese shit, can't forget the scene where the 'boss' tries to strangle ricky wit his own guts or when ricky-oh ties his severed tendons with his own teeth. highly recommended.

tell me about it. Since seeing it, I just haven't been able to enjoy necrophilia or incest or heroin or breast milk or sodomy with a microphone like I used to.

Wow, Netflixed out of morbid curiosity.

Guest jmatsu
Tale of Two Sisters creeped me the fuck out.

koreans and japanese aren't the same...

i still haven't seen gozu but audition is probably the top of the miike list for me (seen plenty)...

haha story of ricky-o, although not japanese, should be seen - hilarious.

i still haven't seen gozu but audition is probably the top of the miike list for me (seen plenty)...

haha story of ricky-o, although not japanese, should be seen - hilarious.

That movie is a fucking laugh fiesta.

edit: a brief summary

way to go, whoever linked the head smash

that gozu movie looks fucking fantastic, i need to find that

koreans and japanese aren't the same...

of course they are :)

Guest jmatsu
of course they are :)

mods, can i get some moderation? seraphim is being a racist.

this is my new favorite song:

are there any new Asian horror movies I should see? I watched Ricky-Oh and have an appetite for more meat grinding...

Noroi - didn't see this mentioned in the thread... worth the watch?

I've always liked Dark Water. The soundtrack is nice...Narcotic, Ideal by Kenji kawai. And then there's A Discordant Split(but this is is from Ringu)

House was good. I'll assume it is as derivative as it seems: Very scooby-doo/surf with heavy Argento and Hammer-set nods.

I chortled on beer when the cat meowed the theme while pawing piano keys.

meow...meowmeowmeow