football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

i dunno rafa pisses me off. he did the same strat against milan in the champions league finals that was used against game 1 againsts chelsea in the semi finals. playing a heavier mid fuck that. should have played 3 up.

I couldn't disagree more. The midfield had to be packed for that game since the biggest threat was coming from Milan's midfielders. If you saw their semifinal against ManU you would know what I'm talking about.

There were missed chances by Liverpool and Milan got a little bit of luck with the first goal. Strategy was fine, it was only lacking execution.

i dunno rafa pisses me off. he did the same strat against milan in the champions league finals that was used against game 1 againsts chelsea in the semi finals. playing a heavier mid fuck that. should have played 3 up.

Actually in the semis, chelsea was clueless. They were just pumping high balls to Drogba and they were lucky Kuyt's goal was ruled offside.

In the finals, at least he tried to outsmart Ancelotti by playing Gerrard more upfront and used Mascherano to shut down Kaka the whole night. He was let down by poor finishing and basically poor subs.

If Rafa cant buy top players, he should make great players like Wenger and Ferguson. Cant see any great players he made.

Overall, his buys are bad and he did spend tons of money over the years. People like Pennant, Bellamy, Crouch, Agger, Krompkamp are good but not at that level.

In comparison, Jol with the overpriced Carrick and Berbatov looks like a freaking genius. Hell, Man U was even willing to buy Berbatov by giving them Saha (who is actually damn good but always injured) and give Spurs money.

I wouldn't believe much from the press about current spending at Liverpool. Rafa will try to keep a lot of deals quiet and the new owners seem to trust him all the way. It was pretty obvious that we had to wait till La Liga finished to see Rafa's big spending. There is money and I'm sure there will be some exciting players coming in shortly. Otherwise the likes of Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Reina would never extend their contracts. I think Torres really want's to come to Liverpool but he might not be the first choice. I would like to see Eto'o or Tevez before Torres but I wouldn't complain either way. Crouch should stay cause he brings a different dimension to the game and is very dangerous against some teams. Kuyt will get more goals if he's allowed to play higher up the pitch, this was already happening when he was playing with Garcia before he got injured. I think one more striker to replace Bellamy and a new left winger and the team would be pretty much complete.

Tevez would likely join the Argentinian contingent in Inter.

Eto'o likely wont be sold unless Barca can find a suitable replacement.

Torres, well not exactly setting La Liga on fire but I bet he can sell tons of jerseys.

Crouch isnt good. For someone that tall, we expect tons of headers from set pieces but alas! He doesnt seem that physical like Drogba so he can harass defenders. If he stays, he will be benched. He can kiss his England career goodbye then.

nah id say the injuries in defense, sheva wasnt effective in chelsea's shit play ... nobody can really cross or make creative pass, ballack was shit, lampard was shit, no service for sheva. all they did the whole season was long ball to drogba and i think with sheva, drogba got more space last season

Sheva was playing even way left. Cant blame Jose because even when he plays centre he still cant score. Ballack is really shit. Fergie must be laughing his head off and thankful he didnt buy him, although Carrick other than the Roma 2nd leg, wasnt really great either. Who would have thought, Ballack being so physical in Bayern and Germany could not take the physical pace in EPL and Jose must even rest him mid season!

Lampard sucks but still scored more goals this season than others. Damn waste Essien was playing central defence or right back. If he took the Lampard role like in Lyon, who knows what he could have done.

I cant really fault the defence despite their tons of injuries because if you look at their win-loss record compared to Man U, they werent champions because they had more draws.

If Rafa cant buy top players, he should make great players like Wenger and Ferguson. Cant see any great players he made.

Overall, his buys are bad and he did spend tons of money over the years. People like Pennant, Bellamy, Crouch, Agger, Krompkamp are good but not at that level.

In comparison, Jol with the overpriced Carrick and Berbatov looks like a freaking genius. Hell, Man U was even willing to buy Berbatov by giving them Saha (who is actually damn good but always injured) and give Spurs money.

I can't really see Ferguson make great players either. Give Rafa some time, Wegner has been with Arsenal long enough to have that time.

I must disagree on the transfers as well. Rafa didn't have a lot of money before the takeover to spend on players. He got Pennant after he couldn't get Alves, his first choice and to be honest Pennant did ok. I didn't expect much from him but he exceeded my expectations and he will be a solid squad player. Both Bellamy and Crouch are worth much more right now than when we bought them. I think it's a pretty good business if we can sell Bellamy with a profit. Crouch is one of the top English strikers right now (I know that doesn't sound like much) and I think he was "made" by Rafa who showed everyone how hard it is to defend against him. Agger to me is the best young defender in the league and was put in the 11 of the season by many people. Great buy by Rafa, he has to be worth at least double of what we paid.

I think Berbatov is overrated as he didn't do that great in the league. I have a feeling Kuyt will do much much better than him next year.

Tevez would likely join the Argentinian contingent in Inter.

It's possible but why would they need another striker? They already have Zlatan, Crespo, Adriano, Cruz, Recoba and now Suazo.

Eto'o likely wont be sold unless Barca can find a suitable replacement.

It sounds like he's not a loved figure in the locker-room so maybe they will let him go. Replacement? Henry?

Crouch isnt good. For someone that tall, we expect tons of headers from set pieces but alas! He doesnt seem that physical like Drogba so he can harass defenders. If he stays, he will be benched. He can kiss his England career goodbye then.

I would never compare Crouch to Drogba. I think Drogba is a world class and Crouch will never be there. Anyway, he can bring something good to the team and he can score some good goals as seen in his hat-trick against Arsenal.

It's possible but why would they need another striker? They already have Zlatan, Crespo, Adriano, Cruz, Recoba and now Suazo.

It sounds like he's not a loved figure in the locker-room so maybe they will let him go. Replacement? Henry?

I would never compare Crouch to Drogba. I think Drogba is a world class and Crouch will never be there. Anyway, he can bring something good to the team and he can score some good goals as seen in his hat-trick against Arsenal.

Who knows what Inter is thinking? But they seem to be the front runners for Tevez and they semm to be the ones with the deep pockets for him and not Chelsea or Man U anymore.

Nah. Henry is a bit older now. And why get an unknown commodity in La Liga instead of a proven top scorer. Just look at Sheva.

I meant even if Crouch cant bring regular goals, least he can do being so tall is to harassed shorter defenders and create more space for Kuyt. Seems like he cant eevn do that. The top choice for Rafa is Kuyt. If he needs 2 strikers, would be Kuyt and Bellamy.

I can't really see Ferguson make great players either. Give Rafa some time, Wegner has been with Arsenal long enough to have that time.

I must disagree on the transfers as well. Rafa didn't have a lot of money before the takeover to spend on players. He got Pennant after he couldn't get Alves, his first choice and to be honest Pennant did ok. I didn't expect much from him but he exceeded my expectations and he will be a solid squad player. Both Bellamy and Crouch are worth much more right now than when we bought them. I think it's a pretty good business if we can sell Bellamy with a profit. Crouch is one of the top English strikers right now (I know that doesn't sound like much) and I think he was "made" by Rafa who showed everyone how hard it is to defend against him. Agger to me is the best young defender in the league and was put in the 11 of the season by many people. Great buy by Rafa, he has to be worth at least double of what we paid.

I think Berbatov is overrated as he didn't do that great in the league. I have a feeling Kuyt will do much much better than him next year.

What about Giggs, Becks, Scholes, Phil Neville and Ronaldo. Sure some of them like Ronaldo showed sparks of greatness but they flourished under him. Of course there are people like Forlan who spark after leaving Man U.

Alves is a funny player. He is very small and may be too small to play in the EPL but he is hell of an attacking player.

Berbatov is great. He has a languid lazy style but boy is he deadly. Man U was also after him from Leverkussen but Spurs got him. For sure, he is worth 20 million pounds at least and all the top clubs want him. Next season, he will be even more deadlier.

Kuyt is definitely top choice and Crouch knows that. I think he also doesn't mind coming from the bench or not playing some games. Lets be honest, Liverpool is as good as it can get for him and his only chance to win some medals. I think Bellamy needs to be replaced by a fast poacher who can guarantee the goals. I like him but he missed too many chances this year and I think Eto'o could be a great replacement.

Sounds like Tevez will be very expensive as his agent/owner is talking a lot of shit lately. He might price him out of many clubs cause of his big mouth. I just hope he will not stay in England if he leaves the Hammers.

Kuyt is definitely top choice and Crouch knows that. I think he also doesn't mind coming from the bench or not playing some games. Lets be honest, Liverpool is as good as it can get for him and his only chance to win some medals. I think Bellamy needs to be replaced by a fast poacher who can guarantee the goals. I like him but he missed too many chances this year and I think Eto'o could be a great replacement.

Sounds like Tevez will be very expensive as his agent/owner is talking a lot of shit lately. He might price him out of many clubs cause of his big mouth. I just hope he will not stay in England if he leaves the Hammers.

If Crouch sits on the bench, he wont get picked for England. Already a fully fit Owen and Rooney would mean he is out. If Darren Bent or even Defoe shines, he can kiss his England caps goodbye.

Tevez is damn good in his freekicks but I dont really see him as a top notch striker in EPL yet. Sure, he can at times, create something out of nothing but something about him dont give me that impression. Reminds me of an argentinean Rooney. I do hope he will stay in EPL no matter who he plays for. But if he do stays, I think only in the top 4 and most likely Man U if not Chelsea (distant second) or Liverpool (distant third).

Berbatov is great. He has a languid lazy style but boy is he deadly. Man U was also after him from Leverkussen but Spurs got him. For sure, he is worth 20 million pounds at least and all the top clubs want him. Next season, he will be even more deadlier.

He scored 12 goals in the league, thats less than McCarthy, Viduka and Doyle just to name a few. Far from deadly if you ask me, same number as Kuyt who played as a very deep striker all season. I'm not dissing him completely but he is not hot shit like many people think. I think he would do better with ManU where he would have better players around him but I hope Jol still thinks that Spurs can play in the Champions League and he won't sold him for any money.

If Crouch sits on the bench, he wont get picked for England. Already a fully fit Owen and Rooney would mean he is out. If Darren Bent or even Defoe shines, he can kiss his England caps goodbye.

First Owen has to be fit for more than one month, which has been a problem for him lately. Second Bent has to move to an EPL team if he wants to play for England and third Defoe sees less time on the field than Crouch and if he want's to play he needs to move now. Even if he does I can only see him playing for likes of Pompey or Boro, which would still put him behind Crouch in the England order. It's sad to say but Rooney is the only one they can depend on right now.

I agree on all you say about Tevez. Crackling player that gives so much heart on the pitch. I would love to see him in red next season. (I don't think he would go to ManU, him and Rooney are too similar to play together)

He scored 12 goals in the league, thats less than McCarthy, Viduka and Doyle just to name a few. Far from deadly if you ask me, same number as Kuyt who played as a very deep striker all season. I'm not dissing him completely but he is not hot shit like many people think. I think he would do better with ManU where he would have better players around him but I hope Jol still thinks that Spurs can play in the Champions League and he won't sold him for any money.

At times, you cant rely on numbers. So many top clubs are after him for a good reason. His potential. Just than Man U deal tells you all you need to know about whats he worth. If he goes for 15 million pounds, everyone will beat down the door to get him. His goals against Chelsea and Cech arguably the top goalie (except for penalties) shows his quality.

Benni is actually 2nd top scorer after Drogba but you dont hear anyone salivating over him other than Jose and he didnt exactly came to much fanfare in Rovers.

He would never be sold for 15 since he was bought for 10 and rumors are Bent is costing around 14-17. I don't think he can be sold if Spurs want to count in Europe or in the league. He scored one goal against Chelsea and it was in the FA cup. Just so you know Kuyt also scored against Chelsea and so did Pennant but I don't think we have to bring him up as a goalscorer :D

I think it's hard to judge after one season, lets see what happens this year.

First Owen has to be fit for more than one month, which has been a problem for him lately. Second Bent has to move to an EPL team if he wants to play for England and third Defoe sees less time on the field than Crouch and if he want's to play he needs to move now. Even if he does I can only see him playing for likes of Pompey or Boro, which would still put him behind Crouch in the England order. It's sad to say but Rooney is the only one they can depend on right now.

I agree on all you say about Tevez. Crackling player that gives so much heart on the pitch. I would love to see him in red next season. (I don't think he would go to ManU, him and Rooney are too similar to play together)

Owen is actually very funny. He didnt played for so long, people get a romanticised ideal of him as a striker. But hey, he's all England got. Interesting to see what Sam makes of him in Newcastle. We know Sam can play a rough and tumble style and get results but can he play an attacking brand of football ala Arsenal which 50,000 Georgie fans covet? We know he got great attacking players like Owen, Obefemi, Duff and whats his name that scores beautiful long balls. If he dont produce results, its bye bye Sam.

Rooney is a striker who cannot play upfront by himself. i dont know why McClaren and Fergie dont get it. He is never good alone. He needs to roam behind a top notch target man like Ruud who parks himself in the box the whole 90 min. Even roaming behind Alan Smith is better than him playing by himself. Actually playing behind Saha is good enough if Saha aint injured so long. That must have been Fergie's idea when he sold Ruud. Who knows what adding Tevez might do to the equation.

It would even be odder if Tevez plays with Drogba. If that happens, Sheva can scratch his name on the bench cos he will be a permanent fixture there.

He would never be sold for 15 since he was bought for 10 and rumors are Bent is costing around 14-17. I don't think he can be sold if Spurs want to count in Europe or in the league. He scored one goal against Chelsea and it was in the FA cup. Just so you know Kuyt also scored against Chelsea and so did Pennant but I don't think we have to bring him up as a goalscorer :D

I think it's hard to judge after one season, lets see what happens this year.

Paying that much for Bent is crazy money. This for a player Curbs brought from the Championship a few seasons ago. Does it mean Leroy Lita would be worth 20 million pounds in 2010?

Paying that much for Bent is crazy money. This for a player Curbs brought from the Championship a few seasons ago. Does it mean Leroy Lita would be worth 20 million pounds in 2010?

i totally agree. LOL @ the Lita comment

bent is quality, but definitely not worth the price he's listed at..

(but we will have some extra money to make it up with our Cup-heavy schedule- even Mourinho has included tottenham in his list of title contenders, finally)

that being said, the addition of Bent would provide a decent tall pairing with Berbs, which would give MJ a choice of defoe, keano, berbs, and bent---i can't say I'd hate it too much....

we just need defoe and keano to figure out how to make it work, and those striking combinations will intimidate quite a few

Looks like Spurs are getting Bent for £16m. He can link up well with Berbatov and Keane but I don't see him playing with Defoe. I think Jol will sell Defoe now when he's got Bent and have a youngster as a 4th choice striker (or even Lennon if need be). What happened to that moody cunt Mido? Is he still around?

Mido basically flipped MJ and tottenham the bird...

'moody cunt' is spot on. Should have sent his whingey ass back to Roma

£16m??! Fahkin' 'ell :)

last i checked it was 12....16 is just absurd.

I really don't want Defoe to go anywhere else- he's a great player when he's got confidence, and actually gets match time (like in the UEFA cup).

plus he would most likely join a 'bigger' club, which would just put him in the midst of another rotation. Defoe + Berbatov has proven to be an amazing pairing, but i actually think the pace of both Bent and Defoe could work well together....even if it is a carryover from a few training sessions with the national team..

lennon is a pimp...simple as (and i'm not just saying that as a Spurs supporter)

the FA better protect him with their lives if they ever want to see a world cup trophy..

pace, skill, confidence, quick to learn, and he seems eager to push himself to the next level..

hahaha 1-Bellamy.

the survey also would have accepted 1-Landon Donovan (fairy)

if Jol sells berbatov at all.....especially to any club in england, i will personally fly to WHL and deflate his large belly- Berbatov may be overrated, but he's a legend to Spurs fans who've waited years for a solid contender....i think Jol wants to keep his job, so Berbs stays.

mcclaren is a total muppet- but most england managers achieved that illustrious title in recent years

btw, it's funny how ManUre and the Scousers have shut their mouths and stopped whining about Chel$ki's spending now that the title's at OT, sir alex + the Glazer's have opened their wallets BIG TIME, and parts of anfield will be on ebay in a year or two to make way for an entirely new stadium.

that used to piss me off- but i told my friends they'd have nowt to say if their club had a trophy and some CL money.

the ARSEnal fans still whine, in general, because they are children, like uncle Arsene's little boys

I spoke to some people that saw the plans for new Anfield and they said that it will blow everyone away. I can't wait to see the plans.

I think it's understandable to demand spending from the new owners. Glazers stepped up to the plate this year and splashed 50mil in one day on players. Similar is expected of Liverpool's new owners but that kind of spending is just not Rafa's style so we might not see it. If he really want's to buy Torres he might have to dig deep in the owners pockets.

I don't think Berbatov will be sold but if he is a 15mil profit in one year would be a good piece of business.

yeah on bbc now. Crazy cheap if you ask me. Not a good deal for Arsenal unless it's 16 + players.

who really cares about arsenal though? i mean, really?:D

in all honesty, i think something like this will be great for parity in football..

for the past few years the same teams have dominated (not even going to talk about Lyon, heh); but with Real, Man U, and even VfB winning the bundesliga- i'm honestly excited about the upcoming season.

Barça + Henry is still a dream team, but they've obviously got some competition in Sevilla and Real, and even the two "V" teams when they play well.

England will be a total scramble for the top imo- Arsenal who proved they can play without Titi (injuries) will be grasping for anything they can get if he leaves- which opens things up for the YID ARMY, manUre, chelsea, liverpool, and even someone like Reading who i think can avoid a sophomore slump like Wigan's.

the Bundesliga went down to the wire like La Liga, and I wouldn't be surprised if Schalke can hold off the Bayerns and Werders just long enough- they practically did save the last 45 minutes of the season.

after typing all that, i want it to be august/september already, haha

If Henry is really leaving this is the 'go get it' season for Spurs. Let's be honest, they won't get over ManU, Chelsea or Liverpool but this could be their chance to play in the CL. If they get Bent they should have a big enough squad to shoot for 4th. Now they better sign Bent asap or Arsenal will go to Charlton with a check from Barca before the ink dries on it. This move also opens up the Eto'o saga as all top 4 clubs are looking for a top striker.

Exciting days ahead.