Jil Sander

Analog

00360mfr9.jpg00370mkk8.jpg00380mgr6.jpg00390min5.jpg

"For his third collection for Jil Sander, Raf Simons’s ongoing redefinition of the label’s menswear was as subtle as a single chalk stripe trailing down a navy jacket, an echo of the pinstripes that can be found hanging in many a male closet. But there was poetry in that lonely line, because Simons was aiming for nothing less than a new geometry of the body."

— Tim Blanks

I have to say, as a fashion neophyte, when I first saw the new collection (last week?) I didn't think much of it. But since then I find myself returning to it again and again; the minimal strokes - the clarity, precision, conciseness - are leaving a lasting impression with me.

I really like this. A lot.

I definitely like this better than Raf's own collection this season. There are some things that to my eye fit somewhat strangely, but almost exclusively other than that every thing seems perfectly calculated, fitted, colored, designed, etc... that it's what I usually expect in Raf's main collection. Perhaps he's using his own as an opportunity to experiment more, and Sander's name as an opportunity to execute these sort of pieces that he's so good at?

i myself preferred raf's collection to this one. I'm sensing more influence from Raf's work for his own label on his work for Jil this time around. It's stronger than the past 2 seasons, but based on these pics alone it doesn't do much for me. Servo I agree with your statement that Raf's own line is where he expresses more creative freedom and experimentation. For JS I think he is attempting to put his own touches in the context of the Jil Sander house history, but the stuff i've seen in stores so far hasn't done much for me. It all feels a bit cold and clinical. I guess the final test for me in this collection will be in stores...

yeah maybe in another season or two he will develop a stronger identity within the JS framework by incorporating more of his signature style, if this collection is any indication. It seems his main label is going in a more tailored, sophisticated direction as well, but still maintains that ability to connect and relate to a youthful edge which is what i love about it. I always love reading the fashion magazines each season to see how stylists interpret Raf's clothes, with the interesting photography and what not...

and i dunno if it's just me, but I would've loved to see what Raf could've done had he revitalized the house of Helmut Lang rather than Jil Sander. I understand Raf's respect and passion to continue the heritage Jil started with the meticulous fabric research, i give him credit for that ...then again my only exposure to Jil's prime is through the clothes of my parents, and even then it was minimalist stuff, but the quality was amazing...stuff my mom bought a decade ago is still full of character and life today. The clothes I saw from last winter, the quality didn't seem to be all there - and perhaps understandable, since the company that bought out JS isn't even one that is specializing in garment manufacturing? (just going by what my dad told me, i could be wrong if so someone correct me)

As far as I know, your dad is correct, though the umbrella company name escapes me right now.

I was a strong supporter of either Simons or Plokhov to take over at Helmut, I feel like each would have taken the label in totally different directions, obviously, but that they both could have done a stellar job and really brought it back.

I've never had experience with Sander's old stuff, so I can't say, but his new stuff has seemed quite decent to me.

• 9 months later...

That's probably the one I'm most inclined to emulate. I like this one more, but in my opinion this kind of jacket would probably look best with twig legs (which I don't have), but the one you posted up I'm definitely liking.

00240moo9.jpg

I'm trying to think of some sort of applique I could add to a cheap jacket (doesn't get cold enough around here often enough to pay for a Jil one) to give it that colored sheen, but nothing is coming to mind.

I'm liking this alot.. I gotta get myself some turtle necks. Only thing that seems off to me is the fit in the chest of the leather jackets, anyone else think it looks a bit awkward?

The turtleneck sweaters are around $700 (cashmere). And I think the leathers above are all shearlings so they look like they protrude a bit more in the chest. Fit seems spot on to me though.

The turtleneck sweaters are around $700 (cashmere). And I think the leathers above are all shearlings so they look like they protrude a bit more in the chest. Fit seems spot on to me though.

Yeah the protrusion was what I was talking about, must just be an optical illusion. Also I meant I need to get some turtlenecks in general... no way I can afford the Jil ones.

I aint that baller. I wish though.

I actually called them today to ask a little about thier MTM program and it sounds cool, but when a suit can cost upwards of $5000 or more...that's not too enticing. Especially when the suits can be had on sale right now...

I still need to cop a suit though. Maybe once I'm out in NY.

I aint that baller. I wish though.

I actually called them today to ask a little about thier MTM program and it sounds cool, but when a suit can cost upwards of $5000 or more...that's not too enticing. Especially when the suits can be had on sale right now...

I still need to cop a suit though. Maybe once I'm out in NY.

MTM in NYC can be only like 2000. i think you're thinking of bespoke. cop dem lanvin.

MTM in NYC can be only like 2000. i think you're thinking of bespoke. cop dem lanvin.

Nope nope. I just talk to them today and I specifically said MTM and that's what they call it as well.

The fabric is picked out in the NY store, then the tailor takes all your measurements and then it is finally sent to Milan for the suit to be made. Shit breaks da piggy bank.