Newbie to denim- what to get?

"If you plan to cuff them at the bottom - get selvage. Do not cuff non-selvage jeans, it's looks rediculous to have that puffy fraying outseam staring everyone in the face while they walk by. If you go with any of the above brands, don't cuff them."

sorry if i sound like a complete newbie, but could someone please explain this to me? why do non-selvage jeans look bad cuffed?

LOL, I agree. A selvedge edge beats an overlocked edge in the looks department hands down.

However, most LEvi's style repro's have an overlocked inside leg seam anyway, so you're going to see some of Satan's sphincter no matter what LOL.

There is a sphincter free alternative, buy jeans with all fell seams, like the Wrangler Bluebell repros or selvedge+fell seams like 5EP and Howies OSD.

Quote:

ringring, APCs have fell seams as well :)

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Apr 29, 2005 10:58 AM

Yeah I know icon_smile.gif. Nice touch. Shame they don't have chain stitched hems as well. Non-chain stitched hems are the devils pubes. (joking obviously)icon_smile_wink.gif

Edited by ringring on Apr 29, 2005 at 08:16 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure? You want to go to a Diesel store and try them on. The Diesel stores offer WAY better product then the department stores and most of the denim is without crazy washes. If you find a pair that works for you- which is next to impossible without the help of the people at the denim bar- you will have them forever. Diesel is made from the highest quality and longest cotton fibers which are then carefully spun together and double ring spun at that. That means it's extremely durable and that the fabric will stretch, and not likely break. Maybe it wasn't always that way, but it is now. People are so ready to just knock them off the radar but without a real investigation. Please, go into the store and give it a good try- get an associate involved, and I promise you will find something that you really like. And Diesel also has tons of fits for smaller waisted guys. Those in fact, are the best ones.

Many other brands use an open end method of construction which makes the fabric more likely to tear. The difference is that all sizes of cotton fibers are blown together creating a weaker fabric. As such the fabric is more likely to tear due to the varient of cotton fibers.

If you want quality, stick to Diesel, Rogan, Loomstate, APC, selvedge denim is all that so where-ever you can find it...

Edited by theladyelf on May 13, 2005 at 11:59 AM

Edited by theladyelf on May 13, 2005 at 12:01 PM