what at bape store in nyc

milolinks

hm, kinda hard to describe... i'll try my best. there's this plain purple short sleeve crew with BAPE print on it, then some multicolor pattern short sleeve cut sew (non camou pattern, looks like rows of stars alternating with clouds in all sorts of color) also there's a bathing ape beethoven ringer tee. you should know how the kaws tees roughly look like

pardon the ignorance but how is Ian's sporting of this brand lending any dignity?

i'd think any cool he lent to the brand is immediately cancelled out by the Brigade of Wack---Pharrell the uberhomo, Lil Jon?!?! fat hollywood execs etc.

call me shallow but Bape was only dope when the beasties, lavelle, shadow and like 40 other people had this shit. that's not to say getting bigger as a brand makes you wack, but shit man those fucking Stas are HORRENDOUS (and they are just AF1s with a new logo)...not as horrendous as Nigo's teeth or hors d'oeuvre tray medallion (Iced Down, kid!) but still...in the end, it just seems sad.

BAPE is representative of the state of world culture right now, am I the only one scared by this? Maybe i take this shit too seriously but seeing trucker hat laden suckas wearing 76-color screens and spiked bracelets with 8 inch cuff jeans and dunks and a Che bag, with green hair and headphones on, trying to talk hiphop makes me actively depressed.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

Ian brown has more credibility than the beasties, lavelle, and shadow combined.......seeing as he collaborated with 2 of them...plus...he's been rocking the shit since at least 99, maybe earlier.....only the beasties have worn it longer....still the brand has been worn by questionable people for a long time. I remember seeing a picture of some douche from Bush sporting a UK bathing ape tee.....you cant control who wears the stuff....

as for the social commentary...i totally agree, but you could go back to the seventies and eighties and find similarly soul-crushing social situations....there's always gunna be people who make you wanna retreat to a monastery to escape the wrath of the gods looking down at us....thats just life...

bapestas killed it for the whole brand. the shoes appeal to people more than anything else, and the clothes just come with the territory. imo the stuff that bape puts out is fine, its the reputation it has developed over the last year or so has kind of took a turn for the worse.

Quote:

dont you realize, everytime someone posts something on bape, no matter what the topic is, be it info on their release, etc, it always ends up with this same 'hate' culture

--- Original message by hahnstch on Apr 21, 2005 12:40 PM

i don't mean to sound like i'm 'hating' on bape because shitcelebs rock it or whatever, or mean to imply that a brand is only cool if worn by the fewest elite.

when i first got into Bape stuff (circa 98) i was fascinated by Nigo's genius...in marketing, design, quality, attention to detail. i'm sure that hasn't changed, as we can tell from even the most commonplace of media sources (NY Times, for example, as opposed to BGHD). It's just that in my opinion, I'm shocked to see that the brand I loved for very valid reasons has lost all appeal to me. And it's not that I just snobbishly won't wear something popular...I still love Ralph Lauren, even places like Abercrombie are tite with construction/design when they're not drowning you in logos. But as a 'cutting edge' brand such as bape, to start with such high end mystique and cult appeal, and then convert into the bling/rainbowbrite/dilutedhiphop steez, it's like wait...who are you and what have you done with BAPE?

Back in the day i'd be at Recon or something checking out some highly priced rare Bape item, at the time it wasn't really available in the states. The whole ape/monkey thing I'd seen done by Xlarge and Ssur while I was in high school, but I was feelin it. It had this ill vibe and I was diggin it back then...because it never seemed to represent garishly iced out grills and tacky, glossy, bling Neptunes dunk played out commericalness. And now it does.

I ain't saying that you're not allowed to get big, or catch media exposure. I think I'm more concerned with being true to what you represent.

Looking at Nigo herb himself daily (all the way to the bank) in interviews or whatever makes me think that maybe I never liked BAPE itself, just the idea of what I subjectively considered to be.

Ok, that's my word. Gettin off my soapbox now.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

Quote:
Quote:

dont you realize, everytime someone posts something on bape, no matter what the topic is, be it info on their release, etc, it always ends up with this same 'hate' culture

--- Original message by hahnstch on Apr 21, 2005 12:40 PM

i don't mean to sound like i'm 'hating' on bape because shitcelebs rock it or whatever, or mean to imply that a brand is only cool if worn by the fewest elite.

when i first got into Bape stuff (circa 98) i was fascinated by Nigo's genius...in marketing, design, quality, attention to detail. i'm sure that hasn't changed, as we can tell from even the most commonplace of media sources (NY Times, for example, as opposed to BGHD). It's just that in my opinion, I'm shocked to see that the brand I loved for very valid reasons has lost all appeal to me. And it's not that I just snobbishly won't wear something popular...I still love Ralph Lauren, even places like Abercrombie are tite with construction/design when they're not drowning you in logos. But as a 'cutting edge' brand such as bape, to start with such high end mystique and cult appeal, and then convert into the bling/rainbowbrite/dilutedhiphop steez, it's like wait...who are you and what have you done with BAPE?

Back in the day i'd be at Recon or something checking out some highly priced rare Bape item, at the time it wasn't really available in the states. The whole ape/monkey thing I'd seen done by Xlarge and Ssur while I was in high school, but I was feelin it. It had this ill vibe and I was diggin it back then...because it never seemed to represent garishly iced out grills and tacky, glossy, bling Neptunes dunk played out commericalness. And now it does.

I ain't saying that you're not allowed to get big, or catch media exposure. I think I'm more concerned with being true to what you represent.

Looking at Nigo herb himself daily (all the way to the bank) in interviews or whatever makes me think that maybe I never liked BAPE itself, just the idea of what I subjectively considered to be.

Ok, that's my word. Gettin off my soapbox now.

--- Original message by ABELnyc on Apr 21, 2005 01:35 PM

"Back in the day i'd be at Recon or something checking out some highly priced rare Bape item, at the time it wasn't really available in the states. The whole ape/monkey thing I'd seen done by Xlarge and Ssur while I was in high school, but I was feelin it. It had this ill vibe and I was diggin it back then...because it never seemed to represent garishly iced out grills and tacky, glossy, bling Neptunes dunk played out commericalness. And now it does.

Looking at Nigo herb himself daily (all the way to the bank) in interviews or whatever makes me think that maybe I never liked BAPE itself, just the idea of what I subjectively considered to be."

maybe you just outgrew it, much like most people around here who actually are 'up' on street culture to a degree seem to be. i think, much like anything that you liked before 'the hype', you feel kind of cheated. you feel like, 'hell, i had to WORK to be into this stuff, now there's a store in new york? now li'l zane is wearing it? dammit, he doesn't have the patience to CARE like i did.'

y'know what i mean? it's just one of those things. people like it because it's good, and bape's always been about good stuff. it's just that, yknow, when you've been into something for a while, you change as a person and the people making the things change as people, and sometimes it just goes in opposite directions.

after a while this whole prolonged adolescence thing is going to capsize itself and we'll all be back to wearing unironic busted chuck taylors. white.